PDA

View Full Version : Good Cop Thread!

Pops
12-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Its time we talked about what the good guys do for us!

In October I was stopped in Indiania buy the State Police for speeding. The officer was very polite and courtious. I deserved a ticket as I was going 72 in a 55 zone. He asked me how long since I had received a ticket and I told him 20 years. He gave me a warning and said watch for the posted speed limit signs.:D

Last week on my way to Virginia Beach I saw Police Officers who were changing tires for women on the expessway 3 times! My hat is off to them!:bows:

What do you guys have to say good about law enforement?:)

fastblackmerc
12-01-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm a volunteer with our local P.D.

Citizens Assisting Police

The good ones far outweigh the bad ones.

Paul T. Casey
12-01-2011, 09:54 AM
A little over 17 years ago, the local LEO's in my town put me on the path to sobriety. I gift them for that every year on that anniversary. They also keep the donut shops in business. Seriously though, I don't envy their job one bit.

Bigdogjim
12-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Not really "bad" one in New Jersey but they do like to issue tickets!

Pops
12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Not really "bad" one in New Jersey but they do like to issue tickets!

So Jim what good things have happened with them that you have seen? With all the miles you drive you should be able to share something!;)

DOOM
12-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Most of my friends and family are police officers!

For most it's a thankless job!

And that's why I run the thin blue line on the front of my marauder and around my wrist!

Thank you for all that you do! :flag: :2thumbs:

Bigdogjim
12-01-2011, 10:24 AM
So Jim what good things have happened with them that you have seen? With all the miles you drive you should be able to share something!;)

Yes John I have seen a lot of cars, trucks and few a few busses pulled over and for the most part I would say the one that got stopped had it comming.

I have been in many citys where events are held (large & small) and the Police tasked with directing traffic are with out a doubt working hard. I have witness people :argue:with the offices directions and still try and drive on a street that has been closed? Every time I personally have asked for a little "help" in getting around it have been given:up:

New York City this time of the year are at the top of their game with traffic and people. Anywhere near Radio City Music Hall is a grid lock.

I am so happy I am in a warm bus rather then standing out in the weather dealing with the traffic. My hat is off to the one's in Blue!

martyo
12-01-2011, 10:55 AM
several very good friends are LEO.

They would do what is necessary to protect others.

Who else would do that?

guspech750
12-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I really appreciate their tolerance level. I'd just want to pistol whip so many people.

On our way to Lville 2010. I was given a warning for speeding. I honestly did not see the speed limit change. But he was polite and professional.

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

MOTOWN
12-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I have total respect for any one who would risk there life to protect mines!

Marauderman
12-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I routinely ride with an officer here in the city where I live--every 6 months--its a program they have here and it is so great--you can go into their shift from beginning to end from the roll call and Sgt. in put's from the school desk to the street riding--what is what I like the most--

I have so many stories from which I have had personal on hands eye witnessing accounts you would not believe----but then again--with you tube --you would--so--

Anyway-- Those who put forth their lives everyday for us --including police , firefighters, and the military--deserve our respect--- and here is one of my favorites --from my ride along with my police friend--

We are stopping this SUV for what my friend says is a 5 month expired license tag--saying its probably in his glove compartment--cause a lot of folks forget-- before he leaves the cruiser --he says--I am in a good mood today--I will let him off just to remind him about the tag--unless he gets a bit awkward--==OK the stage is set--the dude opens up his mouth saying --I did nothing wrong--what'ya stopping me for ya'd-ya'd--my friend explains --keeping the mic open all the time--the guy gets more frustrated--saying he is late for a meeting- the vehicle is a lease --its not his to worry about----after reviewing the facts and telling the man in the SUV under State law its his responsibility --he gets more anger--my friend turns to me on camera --and smiles--brings back his license and paper work --and says--I was trying to be nice --just wanted to remind him--whats his beef--guess I will make his day very unhappy--!

CBT
12-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I'd have shoved the guys face into his expired tag so he could clearly see what the problem was if he was being an ass about it. That is why, much like Joe said, I could not handle the job. God bless those who can.

I routinely ride with an officer here in the city where I live--every 6 months--its a program they have here and it is so great--you can go into their shift from beginning to end from the roll call and Sgt. in put's from the school desk to the street riding--what is what I like the most--

I have so many stories from which I have had personal on hands eye witnessing accounts you would not believe----but then again--with you tube --you would--so--

Anyway-- Those who put forth their lives everyday for us --including police , firefighters, and the military--deserve our respect--- and here is one of my favorites --from my ride along with my police friend--

We are stopping this SUV for what my friend says is a 5 month expired license tag--saying its probably in his glove compartment--cause a lot of folks forget-- before he leaves the cruiser --he says--I am in a good mood today--I will let him off just to remind him about the tag--unless he gets a bit awkward--==OK the stage is set--the dude opens up his mouth saying --I did nothing wrong--what'ya stopping me for ya'd-ya'd--my friend explains --keeping the mic open all the time--the guy gets more frustrated--saying he is late for a meeting- the vehicle is a lease --its not his to worry about----after reviewing the facts and telling the man in the SUV under State law its his responsibility --he gets more anger--my friend turns to me on camera --and smiles--brings back his license and paper work --and says--I was trying to be nice --just wanted to remind him--whats his beef--guess I will make his day very unhappy--!

Marauderman
12-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I'd have shoved the guys face into his expired tag so he could clearly see what the problem was if he was being an ass about it. That is why, much like Joe said, I could not handle the job. God bless those who can.

You know Casey--I feel like you--I really don't know how these folks can restrain their frustration and anger towards those dumb Axxxxx they see every day--I ask my friend--he says--Its not easy for sure--but those who can make us what we all are --the wall that cannot be broken--and we break those who keep trying and never learn---He says he just loves making those folks learn the American way of life......which reminds me about his stopping technique for those who do not speak English--Oh --wow --you want to know and hear this one!!

But that is another story--but y'all will love it--it is so down right on how he handles "I don't speak any English"!

ImpalaSlayer
12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
it truly pisses me off when people say "f the police, theres no good ones". oh yeah jack ass? well dont bother calling 911 then when you really might need em.

Marauderman
12-01-2011, 05:37 PM
it truly pisses me off when people say "f the police, theres no good ones". oh yeah jack ass? well dont bother calling 911 then when you really might need em.

Thank you so very much for those comments!!!!

CWright
12-01-2011, 06:06 PM
We have 3 seperate PD's here where I live, SO, RomePD, and Floyd County PD. I have friends at all 3 along with a cousin in the Georgia State Patrol. The Sheriff along with the chiefs over each dept hold HIGH standards when it comes to the conduct of their officers and I enjoy working with them from time to time as a volunteer.

I had an incident where I rolled through a road block in my Marauder and one officer decided to go off the chain about my window tint along with a few other things on my car. My pucker valve got a little tight to say the least due to how he was making such a big deal about it. According to state law I knew my tint was illegal but after showing him my Dr note for light sesitivity and the card as to what was actually on my windows he had to let me go. He acted like a 58 year old adolescent at the road block pitching a fit to his commanding officer. Come to find out that was the straw that broke the camels back with some other incidents on his file and he was moved over the SO to work in the jail. I spoke to the chief a few weeks back and he said that officer is no longer in a position to deal with the public. Except the ones behind bars. His "I am THE LAW" attitude was not tolerated by the big dawg! So, I say all that to say I respect what law enforcement do by all means and support them any way I can.

jabird56
12-01-2011, 07:03 PM
As a Maryland Hunter Safety Instructor I interact from time to time with the MD Dept of Natural Resources Police (DNR), a couple stories:

Back in the 90s a friend (instructor also) and I were hunting doves on our club property when a DNR officer showed up. As he walked up to us he realized who we where and said Oh it's you two... We started talked and after a few minutes he got a call from dispatch stating that a farmer in the south end of our county (about a 40 minutes run) was holding a deer poacher at gun point, spread eagle. He acknowledge the call and kept on talking with us for about 10 more minutes, when he said that he should get on the road and go "rescue" the poacher.

Again in the 90s, the DNR watched a fisherman (a known poacher) fishing for Stripped Bass out on the Chesapeake. They waited for him to return to shore and put his fishing boat on the trailer and pull it out of the water when they stopped him. They were going to just check his coolers and give him a ticker for just one fish out of season. The poacher got real belligerent and obnoxious. What would have just been a ticket, turned into a ticket for each fish (10 tickets) and confiscation of his entire rig; boat, motor, trailer, fishing gear, and his Suburban. When it comes to natural resources the DNR doesn't put up with any crap.

One last item; we had a few years back a young teenager "accidentally" shoot out windows of a car while hunting. Basically forgot a major rule of knowing what's behind the game your shooting at. The DNR suggested punishment to the judge that this individual should attend 5 different hunter safety classes and get up in front of the class and give a presentation as to what he did wrong and what he should have done. In this case it was "positive" punishment by learning from you mistake, "teaching others" that it could happen to you if you're complacent.

Pops
12-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Kinda funny how fast this thread has died! I know eveyone on this site has had a positive expericence with law enforcement!!

We went thru a series of breakins here at the stereo store. This was 10 years ago. 5 times in six weeks! The police were very supportive over it. It raised the hair on the back of my neck when they drew guns and went into the store with no lights to clear the building. They were putting there lives on the line to protect me and my property. They did catch them in the building the last time! Would you guys who are complaining do this? I suggest you back off and look at the positive side of the law and maybe try to obey a few of the laws and your problems will go away!!!!!! A little bit of being nice goes a long ways!:)

Paul T. Casey
12-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Here's 24 reasons to LTP.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/x764848015/Montville-police-honor-acts-of-bravery-service

Hacklemerc
12-02-2011, 09:35 AM
One of my partners at work personally raised $5000 and coordinated with Walmart for a "Shop With A Cop" day. About six of us are donating our time this saturday morning to take local children who are less fortunate shopping for Christmas. He didn't do this to make himself look better or gain any favor with the dept. He did all the leg work on his own time, on the down low without the dept knowing about it until he had it all set up. He's a great Police Officer and Person for doing all that.

Pops
12-02-2011, 09:37 AM
One of my partners at work personally raised $5000 and coordinated with Walmart for a "Shop With A Cop" day. About six of us are donating our time this saturday morning to take local children who are less fortunate shopping for Christmas. He didn't do this to make himself look better or gain any favor with the dept. He did all the leg work on his own time, on the down low without the dept knowing about it until he had it all set up. He's a great Police Officer and Person for doing all that.

Great! You guys do way more good than bad. I also think you have feelings and do care about people!:2thumbs:

Mercguy04
12-10-2011, 12:20 AM
http://www.usmarshals.gov/careers/silver_star.jpg

I have been on the job for over 20 years in the Marshal Service.
I think it is all in the training. The Marshal Service screens for the Wyatt Earp mentality. I think all LE agencies should screen for this type of behavior in each Police Officer that is hired. It means we look for hot head, as they enter the Academy. During training we are tested and pushed and tested again and again.
The only tougher training was the USMC,.That was hard, like they say if it doesn't kill you, it make you stronger
It really is all about discipline and self discipline.
Your right it is a thank less job in a way. But we do take the bad guys off the street.
Without Law and Order there is chaos. I for one am proud of the service
we provide this great country.
Blessings
Stay Safe
Russell

LUCKY GENE
12-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Oh.... you're a Cop?? That's cool. I wanted to do that when I was a kid. What do you make?"
"WHAT DO I MAKE?? I make holding your hand seem like the biggest thing in the world when someone just tried to hurt you. I make 5 minutes seem like a lifetime when I am fighting a suspect while waiting for back up. I make those annoying sirens seem like angels when you need them. I can make your children b...reathe when they stop. I make myself get out of bed at 3am to risk my life to save people I've never met. I make it possible to keep back the chaos everyday. I make going to work for your family's safety a duty that I will die for. I make myself work holidays, nights, during hurricanes and other disasters. Today I might make the ultimate sacrifice to save your life.
I make a difference. What do you make?

Pops
12-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Oh.... you're a Cop?? That's cool. I wanted to do that when I was a kid. What do you make?"
"WHAT DO I MAKE?? I make holding your hand seem like the biggest thing in the world when someone just tried to hurt you. I make 5 minutes seem like a lifetime when I am fighting a suspect while waiting for back up. I make those annoying sirens seem like angels when you need them. I can make your children b...reathe when they stop. I make myself get out of bed at 3am to risk my life to save people I've never met. I make it possible to keep back the chaos everyday. I make going to work for your family's safety a duty that I will die for. I make myself work holidays, nights, during hurricanes and other disasters. Today I might make the ultimate sacrifice to save your life.

This is the best post yet! Thanks!!!!!!:)

Marauderman
12-10-2011, 07:31 AM
In the late '80's , my family and I had been traveling a long(44miles) two lane road in SC as the interstate had not been built in this area yet---at about 45 MPH due to hills--not many places to pass---when it opened up to a four lane divided roadway--

We were about six cars back in line and I immediately swung out left and floored it--my car was more fast than all others at the time--and about 1/4 mile up the road it curved and there in the medium was a SC Trooper--yep--- went pass him super fast pulling out in front of all others---

Looked back and the Blue lights when on and I knew I was a dead duck---

Well I pull off to the right shoulder of the road and had to "wait" for him to pull out and get to me cause so many cars are strung out from that 44 mile two lane road--they were not gonna let him out even with the Blue lights--thought that it was funny too at the time--

Anyway---He eventually comes up to me which by now I am outside leaning on the rear of my trunk with my papers in hand--

This Trooper gets out and so help me must be 6' 6" tall---puts on his Smokey hat and walks up to me shaken his head side ways mumbling to himself--when he gets close he says----" I've been doing this for 15 years, and nobody, I mean nobody has ever waited on me to get to them like you have here---man on man--this can't get back to other!" -- I just told him I saw him coming around the curve and knew he would want me--so I pulled over cause was having problems adjusting my cruise control after coming off that two laner-----he says " come on back to my car for a warning ticket --cause I put you on the air --so I gotta write something---and get that cruise control fix you hear!--Man on man--my wife wont believe this" he said--

My Dad always told me that if you get stopped by an LEO--you did something wrong and are probably guilty 99%--but you get one change to get out of it --so start by admitting your fault with some sane explaination and be super courteous cause most officers don't hear nor get that and appreciate it more that ever--and will likely return the favor---

The end for this one---carry on--

sailsmen
12-10-2011, 07:52 AM
I was recently pulled over by a State Trooper in AL. He takes my lic to his vehicle and then returns.
HE then ask me, Did you get a speeding tkt in AL in 2005? Yep.
In 2006? Yep.
In 2008? Yep.
In 2010? Maybe.

He said be careful and let me go. :)

I am not consciously speeding and the only place I am getting tkts is AL.:confused:

tbone
12-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Last couple times I got pulled over, I just got warnings.:D

4drcbra
12-10-2011, 11:13 AM
My theory, if u dont like the police then next time ur in trouble call a crackhead.... There r dumb people every where. They dont know me they are attacking the badge not me personally.

TAKEDOWN
12-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Just wanted to share this with you guys:

Father Tom Nangle

Great Sheepdog on the Run
By Fr. Thomas Nangle, Chaplain

The young policeman was chasing a man with a gun down a west side alley on a rainy summer Sunday night. As our guy leaped over a fence, he dislocated his knee: Instant agony. As he sat and waited patiently for the ambulance, which was sent to the wrong address, the alley swarmed with other police, weapons drawn and flashlights poking into the nooks and crannies. He was taken to a hospital off the Ike, and a small swarm of coppers followed. They weren’t ducking work; they were sticking together. As CFD wheeled him into the emergency department on their yellow gurney, the nurse said whoa, wait, why all these police? She was politely told why, and then she said they’d all have to disarm and leave their weapons with the security people before they’d be allowed into her emergency department. The copper on the gurney said let’s go to Northwestern to his supervisor and they did.

If you’re the police, you surely know about Lt. Col. David Grossman (U.S.Army, ret.) who has written passionately and eloquently about being the police in our disordered society. (I’d love to meet him and shake his hand some day.) He uses images to talk about the lane of life coppers operate in: The citizens are sheep, the bad guys are wolves, the police are sheepdogs who herd the sheep and protect them from the wolves. It’s in the DNA of the sheepdogs to be that way. They come in to this world hard- wired for it. It’s not so much what they do…it’s who they are.

Here’s the point: Various constituencies in this city have the Great Sheepdog on the run. Everyone from the E.D. nurse to the reverends to bogus community groups with no knowledge of police work can take up their sticks and poke and prod the Great Sheepdog and distract him from his noble mission. There’s a considerable cottage industry in Chicago that makes its living by suing the Sheepdog. They prevent him from doing what he’s hard-wired to do and he doesn’t feel good about it. The sheep are attacked and savaged, and other sheep respond with prayer and candlelight vigils and street marches--- empty showboat gestures which cannot accomplish what only the Great Sheepdog can. An Area 4 homicide detective once said, “This police department could be an awesome crime fighting machine, if they’d let us.” That’s the mantra of the Real Police.

I take Thursdays off and go to my cabin in Wisconsin. On the way, I pass a fenced-in farm field with some animals that look like a blend of a sheep and a giraffe to my city eye. I get a kick out of looking at them because they have perpetual smiles on their faces. Llamas or alpacas, I think. When they have babies, they’re particularly cute. They look like cartoon characters. The local paper reported that one night a numb nut went thru the fence and cut off the head of one of the baby animals. After that, the farmer installed three sheepdogs. They live peacefully with the animals they protect, although I notice they don’t mingle with them. I pull over to watch them every Thursday, and when I get next to the fence those three white, shaggy sheepdogs race toward the fence. They always come together, the three of them…not one of them lays back. They bark and run a highly animated short back-and-forth along the fence line. I got too close to the fence once and all three bared their fangs at me. They don’t back down, they stick together, and they never ever fail to respond to a threat to their flock. The sheep-giraffe hybrids never even look up from eating their grass. And I bet the farmer has not lost any since the dogs arrived.

Now… imagine if the farmer was scared of upsetting the neighbors with all their barking. Imagine if he was afraid that his farm’s image would look harsh because of three tough dogs roaming his fence line. Imagine that he’d never even installed the dogs because he didn’t want people to know he had a problem with the numb nut cutting off the baby’s head. Imagine him micromanaging their response time to the fence (too fast, too threatening!), their bark, their bared fangs. Worse yet, imagine the farmer punishing the sheepdogs for getting dung on their paws. Imagine.

Respectfully,
Fr. Thomas Nangle, Chaplain

JAYSILVER04
12-10-2011, 07:28 PM
About 8 years ago, I was taking my friend to pick up his Harley from getting serviced. We had to do it on our lunch break, so we had limited time to make the trip. The Harley shop was about a 30 minute drive one way. We knew we would be cutting it close to get back to work within an hour. We headed out and decided to take back roads to cut some time. As soon as we turned off the main road onto a curvy back road, a little Mercury Tracer wagon pulled out of his driveway and proceeded to do 22 MPH in front of us. Of course frustration set in immediately because I knew we had about 2 miles before the road straightened out enough to pass. as soon as the opportunity presented itself, I dropped my 02 Mustang GT into 2nd and put it to the floor. Instead of letting off after I passed, I decided to stay on it after shifting into 3rd. As I look up, I notice a light bar of a state trooper peaking over the soybeans at the curve that was about a quarter mile ahead. I glanced at the speedometer, and was just over 100mph. I had shifted into 4th, so naturally I slammed on the brakes and down shifted into 3rd which slowed me a little. By this time the trooper already activated his lights and was almost stopped in the opposing lane. I went by him and went around the curve and pulled over and stopped. I waited for about 3 minutes for him to get turned around and pull behind me. When he approached the car, I had everything ready for him. He said I obviously knew why I was being stopped and I apologized and explained I was passing a slow poke and was trying to get my friend to the Harley shop and back within the hour. He chuckled and said he would check my license and such and would be right back. When he came back he explained he clocked me at 92 in a 40. He said he would lower it to 48 and let me off easy. The alternative was sticking it to me, revoking my license and towing my car and putting me in jail for reckless driving. I thanked him very much for taking it easy on me. He then told me it was a good thing I was in a Mustang because if I was in a Camaro, he would have locked me up. I was glad he was a Ford man or I would have been screwed. I learned my lesson, and haven't done anything stupid like that since.

Mercguy04
12-10-2011, 11:47 PM

Thank you for your service to Suffolk Co LI. I had thought about that
office. After I got out of the Military as a MP. Pay wise was the best at one time.
As to your description of your duties. It is very true you have your hands full when you hit the streets. Marked or unmarked.
I respect most all local PD's. You and your follow officers are an asset to all you serve.
Your dept is well organized, and a very well disciplined group of Officers as I have seen.
We all understand you commitment to service. That is what we do.
The work is challenging at times, would you do any other work. I think not.
I know I love my work, most of the time. It is hard work. and you go where
and when you are told to do so.
On average I spend more time away from home than I am at home.

What do I make? I make a difference to the country I serve.
I will do my best to do my duty and Honor and defined the Constitution of the United States of America. That is what I do.
Blessings
Stay Safe
Russell

Horsepower
12-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Greatly appreciate all men & women who've taken that oath. I remember when the murder rate in Philly was at an all-time high. These guys braved the streets everyday trying to put a stop to urban warfare. I wouldnt be cop , nor can I imagine a world without them

Shaijack
12-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I am a retired (25 year) LEO and have escorted many youth home so their dad can handle the problem. I have recievedmany thank yous and from the sound on the other side of the door I know it was handled the right way. In the south it is not child abuse it is correcting a wayward child.