PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Clunkers: 1990 Ford Crown Vic with 4,939ORIGINAL Miles

Chayton
12-07-2011, 12:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbgdwDDR_XE&feature=g-vrec

oh man. look at the interior, the paint. wow. this is EF'D up :mad2:

Joe Walsh
12-07-2011, 05:03 AM
Another fine example of our tax dollars at "work".

What a great and efficient program that was!

Maybe they can dump another couple billion dollars down the drain....:shake:

mSYy3ZYOfgQ&feature

wickedmerc
12-07-2011, 05:24 AM
I think I read in Hot Rod that the program claimed an '87 GNX. How could THAT happen?!?

mrjones
12-07-2011, 07:12 AM
We've got a similar thing going on now that I'm participating in, and it's killing me.

I'm a school transportation director. Right now, there are a series of grants being given out to replace older diesel engine school buses with new propane powered buses. The buses replaced are required to be destroyed. Frames must be cut and engine blocks are holed.

I'm buying 12 of them, but because of the way the grant money worked, I'm not necessarily replacing the oldest buses in the fleet. After the new buses are in, I'll still have buses as old as 1982 models still in the fleet.

Here's what's making me sick: A neighboring district is also getting money and replacing 26 of their buses. Because their fleet is much newer than ours, they're destroying buses as late as 2005 models. We've talked to the powers that be and they won't let us swap. They say they're not in the bus trading business. I've got 82 models that could be destroyed in place of the newer, better, cleaner-burning 2005 models, but they won't let us do it. I went down yesterday and looked at the newer buses that are going to be destroyed and it literally made me want to throw up.

MrBluGruv
12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
While I can't reasonably guess how much, I'm pretty sure I've seen an increase in used car prices because of that program. I'm seeing many cars with over 100K miles on them trying to be sold for over $10K, when their MSRP new was maybe $20K or just over that.

Given these increases are real and I'm not just imagining them (or it's not just runaway inflation), I'd go so far as to say that "Cash for Clunkers" was really just another bailout program disguised as an environmental protection program.

Chayton
12-07-2011, 10:54 AM

mSYy3ZYOfgQ&feature

Exactly. And wow, how efficient it must be to pour a mixture into an engine to lock it up, and rev it till it does so, or throws a rod/explodes.

guspech750
12-07-2011, 11:11 AM

mSYy3ZYOfgQ&feature

I know right. That money could be used to fund more welfare, dare I say people, that refuse to work. :)

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

CBT
12-07-2011, 12:12 PM
I know right. That money could be used to fund more welfare, dare I say people, that refuse to work. :)

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Better idea: Fill those buses with the people always looking for a "free ride", drive those buses off a cliff, bam, 2 problems solved at once.

yjmud
12-07-2011, 12:19 PM
c4c did nothing but waste money it didn't help people that needed help but it destroy many nice rides
I saw many really nice fox and sn95 mustangs gts,cobras, and lx camaros z28s and iroczs 454ss trucks sc harley trucks this is only in my area
best was the z28 completely stripped before being turned in it is a small win I guess

ShadyLurker
12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
That Crown Vic could have given someone many years of faithful service. I also read and i believe saw footage of the GNX that was traded in. What a shame.

Cheeseheadbob
12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Another reason for the sky high prices for POS used cars is the financial morass we are currently experiencing. Regular folks can not get "new" car loans, but somehow they are getting qualified for very high interest rate "used" car loans. If you don't have a credit score >750, you are basically screwed.
While I can't reasonably guess how much, I'm pretty sure I've seen an increase in used car prices because of that program. I'm seeing many cars with over 100K miles on them trying to be sold for over $10K, when their MSRP new was maybe $20K or just over that.

Given these increases are real and I'm not just imagining them (or it's not just runaway inflation), I'd go so far as to say that "Cash for Clunkers" was really just another bailout program disguised as an environmental protection program.

tbone
12-07-2011, 12:28 PM
I would like to pistol whip the aholes that trade in beautiful cars like this, knowing they will be trashed.

omarauder
12-07-2011, 01:29 PM
I tried to start my own buy back program once..." Up to $3k paid for old un-wanted Italian Sportscars" but didn't get any takers....:D

Fosters
12-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I think I read in Hot Rod that the program claimed an '87 GNX. How could THAT happen?!?

There was an article on all of the rare cars that got destroyed... yep, 1 gnx. I would have loved to pour that liquid glass down the throat of the owner that did it... :mad2::flamer:

wickedmerc
12-07-2011, 08:00 PM
There was an article on all of the rare cars that got destroyed... yep, 1 gnx. I would have loved to pour that liquid glass down the throat of the owner that did it... :mad2::flamer:

A Grand National would have been bad enough.......but a GNX?!?!? :bigcry: