PDA

View Full Version : 70 years ago today

boatmangc
12-07-2011, 05:37 AM
In remembrance of the victims of the Pearl Harbor attack.

guspech750
12-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Still sad to think of all that lost their lives that day and after.

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Paul T. Casey
12-07-2011, 06:03 AM
The day the sleeping giant was woken (or is it awoken).

MOTOWN
12-07-2011, 06:16 AM
There was a 95 year old veteran on the news who made a good point saying how this country does not teach what happened with pearl harbor, and other wars.

I tend to agree!

Pops
12-07-2011, 06:34 AM
We all need to remember what happened! History will repeat itself if we forgot! God Bless our Troops!!!!!!

ROCOB
12-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Below is a video of still photographs taken during WW2, the first several are from Pearl Harbor.

Never Forget.

http://zanylol.com/worldwar2.html

jerrym3
12-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Toured the Pear Harbor monument back in the mid 90's on a beautiful, quiet, Sunday morning.

Seeing the outline of the ship underwater, the pools of oil still rising (they called them "black pearls"), and the back wall with all the names of the departed was stunning.

Watching people from other countries on the monument taking pictures of themselves with big s**t eating grins was very %^&%$% annoying.

fastblackmerc
12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Many thanks to past, present and future "veterans".

Bluerauder
12-07-2011, 08:33 AM
We all need to remember what happened! History will repeat itself if we forgot! God Bless our Troops!!!!!!

December 7, 1941 a day that will live in Infamy. :flag: Here's to remembering all those who perished on that day.

Ninety minutes after it began, the attack was over. 2,386 Americans died (55 were civilians, most killed by unexploded American anti-aircraft shells landing in civilian areas), a further 1,139 wounded. Eighteen ships were sunk or run aground, including five battleships

Battleships

Arizona: Exploded; total loss. 1,177 dead.
Oklahoma: Capsized, 429 dead. Refloated November 1943; capsized and lost while under tow to the mainland May 1947.
West Virginia: two bombs, seven torpedoes, sunk; returned to service July 1944. 106 dead.
California: two bombs, two torpedoes, sunk; returned to service January 1944. 100 dead.
Nevada: six bombs, one torpedo, beached; returned to service October 1942. 60 dead.
Tennessee: two bombs; returned to service February 1942. 5 dead.
Maryland: two bombs; returned to service February 1942. 4 dead (including floatplane pilot shot down).
Pennsylvania (Kimmel’s Flagship): in drydock with Cassin and Downes, one bomb, debris from USS Cassin; remained in service. 9 dead.

Ex-battleship (target/AA training ship)

Utah: Capsized; total loss. 58 dead.

Cruisers

Helena: One torpedo; returned to service January 1942. 20 dead.
Raleigh: One torpedo; remained in service.
Honolulu: Near miss, light damage; remained in service.

Destroyers

Cassin: in drydock with Downes and Pennsylvania, one bomb, burned; returned to service February 1944.
Downes: in drydock with Cassin and Pennsylvania, caught fire from Cassin, burned; returned to service November 1943.
Shaw: Three bombs; returned to service June 1942.

Auxiliaries

Oglala (minelayer): Damaged by torpedo hit on Helena, capsized; returned to service (as engine-repair ship) February 1944.
Vestal (repair ship): Two bombs, blast and fire from Arizona, beached; returned to service by August 1942.
Curtiss (seaplane tender): One bomb, one Japanese aircraft; returned to service January 1942. 19 dead.

Bigdogjim
12-07-2011, 08:52 AM
I had an uncle that passed away in June of this year and he was at Pearl Harbor he was underage as many young boys were at that time. Strange thing was he never talked about it? I belive he was on a destroyer at time. He tell us that he was on a few PT boats in WWII.

Bluerauder
12-07-2011, 09:51 AM
I had an uncle that passed away in June of this year and he was at Pearl Harbor he was underage as many young boys were at that time. Strange thing was he never talked about it? I belive he was on a destroyer at time. He tell us that he was on a few PT boats in WWII.

This ^^^^^ is not strange at all. In fact, I say that it may be pretty typical of vets from the WWII and Korea timeframe. Less so from Vietnam and after.

My uncle was with the 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division from North Africa, Sicily, Normandy (D-Day) to the end of the war in Europe. Collected alot of 1st Infantry memorabilia but didn't talk about his experiences. I found some of his citations ... he received 2 Silver Stars for Valor on the Normandy Beaches as a combat medic. Had to read it .... 'cause he never talked it.

My sister's Father-in-Law was at the liberation of Dachau. Never talked about it or any of the events leading up to it.

My uncle was with Patton in the Armored Corps (3AD, I believe). Never talked about it.

I had another uncle that I never knew who was a pilot during the Battle of the Coral Sea. He never came home.

jflave
12-07-2011, 10:05 AM
So true God bless them & THANKS

jerrym3
12-07-2011, 11:38 AM
My father-in-law (RIP) was a WWII vet. He saw action.

Never, never brought it up.

My dad tried to enlist, but was turned down. Took a BB to the eye as a kid; affected his vision.

FastMerc
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Im watching Tora Tora Tora now.My grandfather told me about stuff he heard from other service men but he was not at Pearl at that time.

boatmangc
12-07-2011, 06:50 PM
The day the sleeping giant was woken (or is it awoken).

I hope the giant is just sleeping now...

DOOM
12-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Saw the 2 hour documentary on the history channel last night.

Very sad indeed!

:flag:

guspech750
12-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Saw the 2 hour documentary on the history channel last night.

Very sad indeed!

:flag:

I too watched it. Learned a few new things along the way. Still very sad indeed. I will be paying my respects at the Arizona in a few weeks.

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

TAKEDOWN
12-10-2011, 04:37 PM
^^^ Yup, I pay my respect every time I visit! ^^^