PDA

View Full Version : Another Lost Soul....

MENINBLK
01-23-2004, 10:22 AM
I was sorry to hear this news, but I will share it with you all.

Bob Keeshan, aka Captain Kangaroo, past away today. :cry:
He was 77 years old.
It was announced on the noon ABC News program.

He had the longest running children's program on broadcast TV.
His show ran for 30 years.
I know that most of us grew up watching him.

At least Fred Rogers has good company now...

2003 MIB
01-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Bob Keeshan was also a United States Marine. Little known fact...

GordonB
01-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Sorry to see good guys/gals go. I grew up on Capt. Kangaroo, Howdy Doody, Pic Temple, and Roy Rogers. Guess I'm telling my age, but what the heck! Old enough to know better and I do!

GordonB

Ross
01-23-2004, 11:53 AM
What a great guy he was. I remember him and Mr. Green Jeans.

MM03MOK
01-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit!!

Sometimes a little thing sticks in your head...I remember one episode they showed a video short of the "Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace....with Alice." I've remembered the video and the tune each time I've been to Buckingham Palace.

Smokie
01-23-2004, 12:03 PM
At least Fred Rogers has good company now...

Amen, two good men. There is no higher praise,

2003 MIB
01-23-2004, 12:33 PM
What a great guy he was. I remember him and Mr. Green Jeans.
Mr. Green Jeans was also a Marine.
Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit were not- to the best of my knowledge.

TripleTransAm
01-23-2004, 12:44 PM
I think Captain Kangaroo is the first ever TV program I have memories of watching as a young boy (and I have a very good memory)... must have been 1 or 2 years old? I think the show was on around 9 am? Either before or after the Dinah Shore show, if I recall. Or was it Mike Douglas? Ack... long time ago...

Anyway, one less wholesome image for us to look up to... :(

RCSignals
01-23-2004, 03:09 PM
I think Captain Kangaroo is the first ever TV program I have memories of watching as a young boy (and I have a very good memory)... must have been 1 or 2 years old? I think the show was on around 9 am? Either before or after the Dinah Shore show, if I recall. Or was it Mike Douglas? Ack... long time ago...

Anyway, one less wholesome image for us to look up to... :(

What? Aren't you a Canuck? You didn't watch "Friendly Giant" and "Chez Helene"?

Friendly was on TV even longer than Capt Kangaroo!

Sadly, Friendly has also passed away :cry:

RCSignals
01-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Mr. Green Jeans was also a Marine.
Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit were not- to the best of my knowledge.

Didn't Mr Green Jeans pass away a year or two ago?

Are you sure about Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit? They looked like Marines to me :)

Bigdogjim
01-23-2004, 03:20 PM
A peice of my childhood that will never be fogotten!

God bless rest in peace.

Bigdogjim
01-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Sorry to see good guys/gals go. I grew up on Capt. Kangaroo, Howdy Doody, Pic Temple, and Roy Rogers. Guess I'm telling my age, but what the heck! Old enough to know better and I do!

GordonB

Please remember Sally Star! I think she is still alive? Anyone??

RCSignals
01-23-2004, 03:39 PM
What is sad is, there is really no one of the same calibre replacing these people.

(Maybe Bigdog could fill the bill?)

Marauder57
01-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Well the world lost a good one with Capt. Kangaroo......him and Mr. Rogers were big for me growing up! I hope at some point before their deaths they realize just how many lives they touched in a positive way.....

I will miss them both..... :bigcry:

TripleTransAm
01-23-2004, 05:23 PM
What? Aren't you a Canuck? You didn't watch "Friendly Giant" and "Chez Helene"?

Friendly Giant, yes... Chez Helene doesn't ring a bell at all (unless I just didn't know the name at the time... but I think I'd have heard of it later on).

I was trying to recall his name about an hour ago when speaking with my mother as I stopped by to pick up my son. Sadly, he too passed on a few years ago. I'm sure an internet search later tonight will cough up his name.

Same with Mr.Dressup... another positive influence on kids of the day. Another one sadly missed.

There was also something related to a country-guitar-playing man that would stomp his feet, that I remember seeing while sitting in my high chair for breakfast. Could it have been Stompin' Tom Connors? Not sure...

Ack... feel like I'm getting old all of a sudden. :(

Bigdogjim
01-23-2004, 05:51 PM
What is sad is, there is really no one of the same calibre replacing these people.

(Maybe Bigdog could fill the bill?)

Thanks RC: but...I light my candle from their torch:)

RCSignals
01-23-2004, 11:32 PM
There was also something related to a country-guitar-playing man that would stomp his feet, that I remember seeing while sitting in my high chair for breakfast. Could it have been Stompin' Tom Connors? Not sure...

Ack... feel like I'm getting old all of a sudden. :(

Yes, Stompin' Tom Connor. He wasn't just a kids entertainer though.
He would turn a piece of plywood to sawdust with his stomping :)

Another show, which I think was originally a Canadian production, was "Romper Room"

TripleTransAm
01-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Yes, Stompin' Tom Connor. He wasn't just a kids entertainer though.
He would turn a piece of plywood to sawdust with his stomping :)

Another show, which I think was originally a Canadian production, was "Romper Room"

In the immortal words of Ed McMahon... "YES..."

I knew TC was a mainstream country artist but I just found it odd that I remembered him for his early morning kids' show. *shrug* I had a funny nickname for him in Portuguese when I was young.

Romper Room was another good one. Loved that magic mirror or whatever she'd hold up and look through, prompting some featurette. As a young lad I used to think she was real hot.

MapleLeafMerc
01-24-2004, 09:26 AM
What a bunch of softies- beneath all this 'tough car' talk! ;)

I too think the world has lost one of its best. I can still remember looking forward to and laughing at the ping pong ball schtick, no matter how many times he did it.

RC- I remember Chez Helene- I'm surprised TTA missed it. It was short (some of those early kids shows were only about 15 minutes), but a chance for us anglo kids to hear and maybe learn some french.

What, then, happened to Uncle Bobby? (Toronto CFTO) Or Rocketship 7 (Buffalo WKBW)?

Donny Carlson
01-24-2004, 06:21 PM
I was on the Captain 11 show in St. Louis back in the 60's. Whoo hooo!:)

Not as a performer.. you know, one of the kiddies in the audience! It actually ruined the show for me, because until then, I actually thought he was a riverboat captain.:stupid:

deerejoe
01-24-2004, 07:43 PM
There was an internet article awhile back that spoke of Lee Marvin being a highly decorated veteran from WW II.
Lee Marvin said that Bob Keeshan was even more highly decorated for his Valor and Bravery in line of fire.

MarauderMark
01-24-2004, 07:49 PM
How about dear old capt'n noah and his wife are they still alive?? he wave to me and my wife standing on the corner of kensington ave and huntingpark ave like he was waving to a famliy member..Great people..

TripleTransAm
01-25-2004, 09:02 AM
'Tis a sick world out there... robbing a 70 year old...

(Los Angeles Times) Mary Ann King, 70, has been robbed. The
Los Angeles host of the "Romper Room" children's TV show from 1966 to
1976, King had just left a restaurant in Industry, Calif., when she was
accosted in the parking lot. Her purse and another bag were stolen; the
bag contained her "magic mirror" prop from the show. The magic mirror,
actually a frame with nothing inside, was used on the show to allow her
to "see" the audience, calling out the kids' names. After the show
ended, "people would recognize me and say, 'You never said my name',"
King said. "I started carrying the mirror around with me so I could say
their name." She figures the "hoodlums" discarded the prop, not knowing
what it was.

MapleLeafMerc
01-26-2004, 08:07 AM
'Tis a sick world out there... robbing a 70 year old...

Steve, I'm at a bit of a loss for words here, as I run down my mental list of what should happen to the sub-humans that do this kind of thing.

I do think that our world would be better off with less bleeding for sickos and more justice. Rehabilitation is for injuries, criminals need punishment.

TripleTransAm
01-27-2004, 11:43 AM
I'm like the concept of bleeding and sickos being used in the same sentence, actually... :mad: