PDA

View Full Version : Mustang tunning question

DWSTANG67
12-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Hello i am looking at a 2003 mustang 3.8 highly modified its running a sct dyno tune 240hp but the owner does not have the sct tuner.

for inspection i would need to run stock tune plus due to the high flow cats it showing check engine light

if i buy a sct xf3 tuner and plug it in will it load the modified tune thats on the car now as the stock tune.

Then can i load a real stock tune go to inspection then load the old stock tune witch would be the modified tune

PonyUP
12-09-2011, 07:07 PM
For emissions, it's going to depend on your states rules, but if you have a check engine light on, you're going to fail.
Depending on states, mods and a tune don't necessarily cause failure. I had mods and a custom tune plus hi flows on my old Marauder and had no problem passing.
The check engine light though is a hiccup.
If funds permit, I recommend a new Dyno with a new tuner that included an emission safe tune

Pony seal of Approval

jflave
12-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I believe a new x-3 will load up whatever tune you are running at the time as your base tune when you plug it in.

BODYMAN
12-09-2011, 08:59 PM
yep u need to have a tuner in youre area rewrite something to help it pass. atleast here in Missouri you can fudge it that way but all states are diff??

RF Overlord
12-10-2011, 10:49 AM
High-flow cats will not cause a CEL by themselves. Maybe the PO left out the rear O2s?

DWSTANG67
12-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the input if the deal goes though i going to try the x-3 tuner and see what i can do for a stock tune

In Jersey i know i cant run a tune though emmision check i tried it in my marauder and it passes emmisions but the car fails because DMV computer says they cant read enough sensors off the cars computer

So i load the stock tune in the marauder about 2 weeks before inspection go though pass then reload the performance tune