PDA

View Full Version : Fast Food

SHERIFF
01-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Morgan Spurlock, at a healthy 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds, wondered what would happen if he ate three meals a day at McDonald's for 30 days. He decided to try it, and the film he produced about the experience, "Super Size Me: A Film of Epic Portions," was just screened at the Sundance Film Festival. James Greenberg of The Hollywood Reporter writes: "The outcome is not a pretty picture, but thanks to Spurlock's oversized and buoyant personality and some pretty nifty filmmaking, the results are as entertaining as they are sobering."

In one month, Spurlock gained a stunning 24 pounds on a food journey that took him to 20 cities as he ate nothing but Egg McMuffins, Big Macs, Chicken McNuggets, french fries, and whatever else caught his fancy on the McDonald's menu. Within days of beginning the odd diet, he started vomiting. Even his doctor was amazed at how quickly his body deteriorated. In addition to gaining a lot of weight very fast, his liver became toxic, his cholesterol soared, he suffered headaches, lost his libido, and even became depressed, notes The Hollywood Reporter.

Why did he do this to himself? He says he got the idea after seeing a news report about two teenagers suing McDonald's because they blamed America's largest fast food chain for their obesity. The Hollywood Reporter does note that the film definitely has a shortcoming: It fails to acknowledge that all obesity is not the result of eating junk food. The film is packed with alarming facts and statistics about a nation that weighs too much and exercises too little, but it's done in a smart and amusing way with animation and fun music. The real value in the film? Reviewer James Greenberg says it's a cautionary tale for kids. Think about what you eat.

spidermac
01-23-2004, 08:45 PM
does the film suggest that people should take responsibility for their own actions?

SHERIFF
01-23-2004, 09:50 PM
does the film suggest that people should take responsibility for their own actions?

No. Especially when ordering a cop of hot coffee and spilling it in your own lap. :)

MapleLeafMerc
01-23-2004, 09:59 PM

Exactly.

Sheriff, of course we should watch what we eat, but eating nothing but granola for a month wouldn't be healthy either. The story still sounds like a publicity stunt for the woe-is-me generation (IMHO);)

Donny Carlson
01-23-2004, 10:41 PM
I gotta call :censor: on this one. I worked for McDonald's Corporation back in the early 80's, and personally can attest that they use the best ingredients in their products. Preparation, well, that's a different story because anytime you rely on a workforce that's pretty much unskilled minimum wagers you're likely to wind up with a crew that doesn't care about the the quality - or cleanliness - parts of QVC. If the stores follow the McDonalds prescribed methods, then the food is top notch, the stores clean, the service fast and friendly.

McDonalds has a wide menu, and it's up to the consumer to buy what they want. You eat nothing but Big Macs and Egg McMuffins every day -- and exceed the caloric intake you need -- you're gonna gain weight and your chlorestoral is gonna go through the roof. But, there are salads, bran muffins, other things on the menu that you can choose. Hell, you can gain weight on anything if you eat more calories than your body needs. Anybody that eats nothing but McDonalds every day is an idiot.

Sounds like a publicity stunt in order to sell a movie. Could have the same result if he picked Wendys, Hardees, Steak N Shake, Taco Bell, or, for that matter Luby's.

BTW there's a restaurant chain around here I eat at frequently, "Logans Roadhouse" They have these in Dallas? Logan, you ever go into one of these with a proprietary kinda feeling?:P