PDA

View Full Version : to sti or not to sti?

4drcbra
12-13-2011, 09:44 PM
05 subaru sti in my area. Always wanted one and i like go fast toys. Marauder is paud for so its here to stay. Ill have to give up my bike for it.... Hmmmm

MMARAUDER
12-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Id go for it. Them things are quick not to mention subaru has the best drive train out of all makes

burkem
12-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Yes, yes, and yes. I would trade my marauder for the right sti.

MMARAUDER
12-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Who whoa whoa lets not get carried away now lol

4drcbra
12-13-2011, 11:22 PM
No trade. It would be a straight purchase

dohc324ci
12-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Sure do it! Or heck with sc your Marauder.

ludwigvan968
12-14-2011, 12:40 AM
I am torn with the STi. I have driven them, they are awesome cars. But they are not super fast, just fast. If you are going for speed I would look into an EVO, but that is just me, they also tend to handle mods a little better.

If the price is right on the STi, go for it, get a Cobb tuner and a couple bolt on's and shoot for 300rwhp and it should have some good go :)

Chayton
12-14-2011, 01:39 AM
supercharge marauder, eat sti's for breakfast :)

boatmangc
12-14-2011, 03:45 AM
Fun car, I had an 06, but it would be such a step backwards from the MM, I don't think I could ever own one again, cheap plastic interior, noisy as hell. Rides like a go cart.
MM gets the same if not better fuel mileage.
Fun to drive, awesome in twisties.
But every time i spooled things up tight it would make my V1 go off, so yo end up driving with it turned off when you need it most.
S/C the MM, much better choice IMHO

ctrlraven
12-14-2011, 06:22 AM
If you get one, try to find a low mileage BONE STOCK one, if it has mods on it then it's been beaten on by the previous kid owner most likely.

BODYMAN
12-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Fun car, I had an 06, but it would be such a step backwards from the MM, I don't think I could ever own one again, cheap plastic interior, noisy as hell. Rides like a go cart.
MM gets the same if not better fuel mileage.
Fun to drive, awesome in twisties.
But every time i spooled things up tight it would make my V1 go off, so yo end up driving with it turned off when you need it most.
S/C the MM, much better choice IMHO

Iam with you on thie cheaper feeling. The wife wanted one a few years ago. First off I couldnt fit comfortably driving it but hey it was gonna be for her not me. Then after shutting the door and how the door frame is with no window frame upper portion of the door it just felt flimsy and noise level :puke: it was horrible. But yes for not alot of money it can be a very low 12 high eleven ricer.

Guittard22
12-14-2011, 07:59 AM
What year you looking at ?

TAKEDOWN
12-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I'd rather Supercharge the MARAUDER instead and burkem you should be ashamed of yourself... Lol, that's cRazZzY talk!

LANDY
12-14-2011, 08:06 AM
EVO ftw. I know a guy who has beating the living crap out one for 4years at 550rwhp on the stock bottom end. The car sits at 104k miles and its still going.

Haggis
12-14-2011, 08:08 AM
This has become a lovie dovie site, PC correct site. In the past we would tear the poster a new a-hole if they posted about wanting to by a ricer. :puke:

ShadyLurker
12-14-2011, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't consider Subaru ricer even if it is a Jap car.

Chayton
12-14-2011, 10:00 AM
This has become a lovie dovie site, PC correct site. In the past we would tear the poster a new a-hole if they posted about wanting to by a ricer. :puke:

lol, I had to bite my tongue, trust me. Although I will give subie's a little respect over honda civics and what not :P even though theres a good reason ken block went to Ford.... :rolleyes:

Fourth Horseman
12-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Yeah, just don't roll onto this site with a Marauder sporting anything other than stock wheels. And may the gods help you if you're running anything bigger than 18" wheels.

4drcbra
12-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Its an 05. Drove it this morning. Beast of a car. Between my titan, marauder, motorcycle and patrol car im kinda short on room. I also looked at an 04 cobra. If i get the cobra ill be trying to mod bith it and marauder which is pointless. I traded my 03 cobra for my marauder sooo. Bittom line MM is goin no where

MrBluGruv
12-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Anyone who thinks an STi is a ricer car is either a moron or a narrow-minded fool when it comes to automobiles (and really, that just refers us back to choice #1).

I can understand that Japanese cars may not be for you, but seriously, don't be a fool about it.

4drcbra
12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
:laugh:
Yeah, just don't roll onto this site with a Marauder sporting anything other than stock wheels. And may the gods help you if you're running anything bigger than 18" wheels.

:LAUGH:

4drcbra
12-14-2011, 12:01 PM

:corner: lets not get to.open minded here. Great car but deserving of a trade IMO.

Cheeseheadbob
12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
I was about 10 minutes away from buying a 2011 WRX STI, before I got the Cadillac. It was a blast to drive, and you could really put it into the corners flat out. While I was on the test drive, the sales guy looked over at me after a spirited run through the gears and said, "I am sure this is the fastest car you have ever driven" but I had to tell him otherwise. My Marauder would have eaten its lunch, but would have been spanked in the twistys. He was a little shocked by my answer.

The reason I passed on the car was that for close to 38K, I wanted a little more luxury. Since I am an old fart, I needed a cup holder for my Metamucil, and the Subie did not have one. The interior is pretty cheap and they are noisy, but if you don't mind the Spartan interior and a little bit of wind noise, I would highly recommend buying it.

Do an apples to apples comparison and drive an EVO. I was talking to a guy at the car wash who pulled up in a very mean looking EVO and he gave me the rundown on his mods. Nothing crazy, but he said it was fast and pretty much bullet proof. He also said the EVO is much easier to tune with minor and/or major mods, than the STI. Have fun! :burnout:

Haggis
12-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Anyone who thinks an STi is a ricer car is either a moron or a narrow-minded fool when it comes to automobiles (and really, that just refers us back to choice #1).

I can understand that Japanese cars may not be for you, but seriously, don't be a fool about it.

Your opinion.

I was making a comparision about the site and that is all.

guspech750
12-14-2011, 12:36 PM

STi = ricer

Wus up? What are you gonna do now?

Muuuhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

4drcbra
12-14-2011, 12:51 PM
:duel:[QUOTE=guspech750;1124501]STi = ricer

Muuuhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!![QUOTE]

:duel: now touch gloves and lets have a clean fight!

guspech750
12-14-2011, 12:53 PM
05 subaru sti in my area. Always wanted one and i like go fast toys. Marauder is paud for so its here to stay. Ill have to give up my bike for it.... Hmmmm

How about a Trailblazer SS?

---
- Sent from my iPhone

ludwigvan968
12-14-2011, 01:53 PM
I love the idea that a 300hp awd car is ricer, ha ha ha, some of you all crack me up. I don't get that attitude, but I have definitely seen it around.

For those who like to watch integra's get beat here is my car at the track this past Sunday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd7eNU91GU&list=UUhraDbEtjeXmtvCu_5__g6Q&feature=plcp

Now for those who actually understand what some of these "ricers" are capable of, I would love to see you all pull up to my friends EVO that was also running that day and is a daily driver and full weight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8KABU9nogI&list=UUeOC9-uIaz7t-nimZJ0AsvQ&feature=plcp

MrBluGruv
12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Your opinion.

I was making a comparision about the site and that is all.

...except no.

A lot of those "ricers" you put down like to say that any vehicle made in America, especially a "muscle car", can't handle for ****, especially compared to their import vehicles.

Their opinion? Maybe, except it's easily proven wrong. Take a gander at the handling stats on a new Mustang 5.0 GT.

Just like it's ridiculous to outright dismiss American cars as handling hogs, it's outrageous to look at all imports and say they are sub-par for power performance and so on. It's embarrassing as a car person to be that narrow-minded, cause sooner or later one will most definitely hand your ass to you on the road in every way possible.

If you would say you really don't care about that either, I don't know why you even smack talk to them in the first place then...

STi = ricer

Muuuhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone

Well ****, I guess when you put it like that. :P

Haggis
12-15-2011, 05:31 AM
...except no.

A lot of those "ricers" you put down like to say that any vehicle made in America, especially a "muscle car", can't handle for ****, especially compared to their import vehicles.

Their opinion? Maybe, except it's easily proven wrong. Take a gander at the handling stats on a new Mustang 5.0 GT.

Just like it's ridiculous to outright dismiss American cars as handling hogs, it's outrageous to look at all imports and say they are sub-par for power performance and so on. It's embarrassing as a car person to be that narrow-minded, cause sooner or later one will most definitely hand your ass to you on the road in every way possible.

If you would say you really don't care about that either, I don't know why you even smack talk to them in the first place then...

Well ****, I guess when you put it like that. :P

Again your opinion.

And I do not smack talk to anyone.

wickedmerc
12-15-2011, 06:59 AM

To the OP....I read that you're keeping your MM but giving up your bike for the STi. Personally, I've always liked those cars. Never driven or been driven in 1, but I've seen them at the track. Pretty quick and kinda cool lookin' (my :twocents:).

What are your plans for the car? Many assume you're looking to go 10's in the thing. If you're gonna race it, I'd agree with others and say forget the STi, bag the bike and SC the MM. If you need it as DD, with fair power and AWD, I'd say go for it.

4drcbra
12-15-2011, 07:06 AM
The subaru would be for dd purposes. Id park the MM and sc it. I just do.t know if ill like daily driving a 4 door go kart after driving my big comfy Marauder. I have a take home car so i only drive my MM about 600 miles a month as it is. Its not really a need as much as a want. Might be cheaper in long run to ditch the sti idea and spend half as much on a blower and just have my cake and eat it too

wickedmerc
12-15-2011, 07:15 AM
The subaru would be for dd purposes. Id park the MM and sc it. I just do.t know if ill like daily driving a 4 door go kart after driving my big comfy Marauder. I have a take home car so i only drive my MM about 600 miles a month as it is. Its not really a need as much as a want. Might be cheaper in long run to ditch the sti idea and spend half as much on a blower and just have my cake and eat it too

If you can semi-retire your MM by getting the STi, that would be great.

BUT....you sound like a "car-guy". It's very unlikely that you'd buy the STi and leave it alone. You mentioned you were thinking about an '04 Cobra too but decided against it since you'd end up modding it along with your MM. I'm gonna go on a limb here and suggest you'd do the same with the STi. "Let me just get a tune for it." "There's a quick bolt-on I can add for a few HP." "This guy on the STi site (you know you'd go there!) said this mod is the best thing EVER!"

If you have a "take home car" already and don't need another car for daily work travels, I'd suggest keeping status quo and let the STi itch pass. That's a whole different road to go down. :cool:

MrBluGruv
12-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Again your opinion.

And I do not smack talk to anyone.

I want to live in your fantasy world. Sounds pretty nice where everything is only a matter of opinion and you didn't mean what you actually said when someone calls you on it.

4drcbra
12-15-2011, 07:38 AM
If you can semi-retire your MM by getting the STi, that would be great.

BUT....you sound like a "car-guy". It's very unlikely that you'd buy the STi and leave it alone. You mentioned you were thinking about an '04 Cobra too but decided against it since you'd end up modding it along with your MM. I'm gonna go on a limb here and suggest you'd do the same with the STi. "Let me just get a tune for it." "There's a quick bolt-on I can add for a few HP." "This guy on the STi site (you know you'd go there!) said this mod is the best thing EVER!"

If you have a "take home car" already and don't need another car for daily work travels, I'd suggest keeping status quo and let the STi itch pass. That's a whole different road to go down. :cool:
Correct assumption. Im almost 28 and the scubi would be car number 28. I havnt kept anything longer than 6 months ( MM i have had almost 3 years) and usually have 2 at a time. My 03 cobra was fun but not practicle. And right again, i cant leave anything alone. In 6 months id be looking for another DD....

Haggis
12-15-2011, 08:04 AM
I want to live in your fantasy world. Sounds pretty nice where everything is only a matter of opinion and you didn't mean what you actually said when someone calls you on it.

And where you like to argue with everyone.

MrBluGruv
12-15-2011, 08:05 AM
And where you like to argue with everyone.

Wouldn't have that problem if people didn't say ridiculous things that embarrass the car community at large.

Haggis
12-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Wouldn't have that problem if people didn't say ridiculous things that embarrass the car community at large.

Yea, go ahead and be PC, I am done with you.

MrBluGruv
12-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Yea, go ahead and be PC, I am done with you.

PC? What's politically correct about noting how it's ignorant to call every Japanese vehicle "ricer," especially from a car enthusiast point of view?

It's not a matter of hurting someone's feelings, it's a matter of not looking pig-headedly foolish.

boatmangc
12-15-2011, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=4drcbra;just have my cake and eat it too[/QUOTE]

Cake FTMFW !!

4drcbra
12-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Guys this was a subject to get car enthusiast opinions about another potential purchase. NOT a venue for a playground argument. I respect both opinions and ur both clearly passionate in your stance ,or just ball busting, but please let it ride.

TAKEDOWN
12-15-2011, 11:19 AM
STi = ricer

Muuuhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone

YetttttttttthH,

I'm gonna send a fourth degree Japanese black belt fighter to kick your a$s and then i'll take advantage of you sexually... That's what I'm gonna do, love me some Joey!

yjmud
12-15-2011, 12:12 PM
I didn't know that they grew rice in Indiana corn yes rice no
sti= quick little cars would own one in a heartbeat

guspech750
12-15-2011, 12:21 PM
YetttttttttthH,

I'm gonna send a fourth degree Japanese black belt fighter to kick your a$s and then i'll take advantage of you sexually... That's what I'm gonna do, love me some Joey!

Lmao!! You can use that black belt and spank me!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone

ludwigvan968
12-15-2011, 12:52 PM
This thread is awesome. However, unlike others I do not respect both sides, calling a car ricer, then pretending to retract that statement and not own up to it is lame. Grow up!

On the other hand, we have the real world for acting like grown ups, we are on the internet, game on :)

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!

4drcbra
12-15-2011, 03:09 PM
This thread is awesome.

On the other hand, we have the real world for acting like grown ups, we are on the internet, game on :)

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!

:laugh: haaaaaaaaa!!