PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette for visit.

Pat
12-14-2011, 05:04 PM
My Son's fiancé's parents are going to visit us, for the first time, Sunday PM.

They are probably a rung or two higher on the social ladder but our life's history is very similar.

I don't dare embarrass Justin or Anna, so I figure Patricia and I will consider ourselves the "host" family, make a couple of mid-range
restaurant recommendations and cue the waiter to present me the tab. I'll spring for a bottle of wine and find topics of conversation that we share in common. Dress will be after hours casual. In other words I'll wear my Marauder Jacket with tie.

Our religion is the same, politics are conservative and we hold family sacred. They are more social than we but that should not be a problem because I meet all kinds of people who stop me to admire my Marauder.

So, is this the proper etiquette or did I miss something?

Suggestions welcomed.

Regards,

Pat

-Matt-
12-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Watch what you say when the wine kicks in... my mother-in-law lacks that ability

LANDY
12-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Watch what you say when the wine kicks in... my mother-in-law lacks that ability Haha. Mine too!

Pat
12-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Good point. Think designated driver but a few sips should show courtesy without upsetting Bossier's finest.

GAMike
12-14-2011, 05:49 PM
The heck with a restaurant Pat, sit em down for a home cooked meal.. Then ya can fill em full of wine and see if you have em pegged correctly ;):beer:

Ms. Denmark
12-14-2011, 05:55 PM

LANDY
12-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Ms.D your too nice.
Pat just pull a meet the falkers.Lmao

RF Overlord
12-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Pat, just don't be too disappointed. All children are totally embarrassed by their parents while in a public/social situation. Just be yourself, and don't say anything you wouldn't say to a nun or to your mother and you'll be fine. :)

Bluerauder
12-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Pat, you and Patricia could never embarrass your son. You are charming, gracious and great conversationalists. Just be yourselves. You are perfect just the way you are and your future daughter-in-law is lucky to be joining your family!

+1 on this ^^^^. Be yourselves. You and Patricia are at the top rung of any social ladder that I've seen.

Mr. Man
12-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Might want to check with your son to get the skinny on the girls folks. Likes dislikes etc. Have a few general topics to start conversation but stay away from religion, politics and other third rail subjects. Everything else you suggested sounds fine but keep the conversation to generalities. You'll know with in the first 5 minutes if you are going to be a family that socializes together or not. Best of luck:)

If you and Patricia want to come up to NJ and take Ms. D and I out on a dry run we will find the time for you.;)

guspech750
12-14-2011, 08:34 PM
You are top notch people in my book Pat. If they don't see it. They have issues.

Your plan of attack sounds good to me. Have fun with it. Be yourselves.

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

DOOM
12-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Do a burnout in their driveway!!! :D :burn:

That will break the ice! :up:

TAKEDOWN
12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Correction my friend... YOU are a MARAUDER Owner, therefore you sit higher on the social ladder!

You guys sound like decent folks so don't over do it and be yourselves.

Check the new manual!

fastblackmerc
12-14-2011, 09:23 PM
You and the wife just need to be yourselves.....

2nd on the home cooked meal.

Shaijack
12-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Pat you will do fine, you are good people. I would wear short pants and a T-shirt. I only wear long pants on special occasions. Be yourself. We like you. Do you need the wife and me to be your butler and maid?

Pat
12-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks folks, needed to vet my plans, third rail topics are going to be out until a future time. Anna's father was a building contractor and construction people are my favorites. So discussing this topic should be a win win.

sailsmen
12-14-2011, 10:08 PM
The best etiquette is to make them feel comfortable by being yourself.;)

Bigdogjim
12-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Treat 'em like "family" and let nature take it course.

Remember "the best laid plans of men and mice are often failed" :)

Be YOURSELF and enjoy the dinner!

SC Cheesehead
12-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Pat, you and your wife are two of the nicest, down to earth folks I've had the pleasure to meet. Whatever our station in life, that shouldn't be an issue if you're genuine to who you are.

In the words of Gus Portokalos from 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding': " (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0176073/)You know, the root of the word Miller is a Greek word. Miller come from the Greek word "milo," which is mean "apple," so there you go. As many of you know, our name, Portokalos, is come from the Greek word "portokali," which mean "orange." So, okay? Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit."

Be yourself, relax and enjoy. :up:

Haggis
12-15-2011, 05:18 AM
Pat take the stiff shirt for a ride in the Marauder, if he complains of the burnouts and the neck snapping acceleration; tell your son to find a new girl friend.

HammerDown
12-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks folks, needed to vet my plans, third rail topics are going to be out until a future time. Anna's father was a building contractor and construction people are my favorites. So discussing this topic should be a win win.

See, there is already a conversation starter. The rest will fall into place. I agree with the restaurant idea--everyone can relax and chat.

What others said--JUST BE YOURSELVES and you'll enjoy the visit