PDA

View Full Version : Old Olds cooling suggestions

wickedmerc
12-15-2011, 07:55 AM
I've had a '72 Olds Cutlass Supreme since 1992. It replaced my '70 Cutlass S that was stolen (:mad:). It was my DD through college and early work years, my then girlfriend/now wife had most of our dating years in that car. I love my Marauder but my Olds is my baby. She's a wreck (lived in the northeast its entire life) but I think she can be saved.

I have a lot of $ in the car over it's life so I don't see selling her as an option. It's a bucket seat/console car. In '07 I had the engine and trans rebuilt. Trans is 350 Turbo w/shift kit. 10-bolt Auburn posi. Kept the original Rocket 350, went .030" over, forged pistons, big cam, RPM intake, HEI conversion, compression bumped from stock 8.5 to 10.1. Still have old original, wheezing heads but port-matching a set of Edelbrocks is not anywhere near my budget for now.

A recent video: http://youtu.be/pCyaLAV28vg

My current issue and reason for the thread is that I need to upgrade my cooling system and I'm not sure which way to go. Right now I have 3-core copper radiator (downgraded from original 4-core after it went...that was dumb!), no fan shroud (don't ask...that was dumber!), and original 4-blade, heavy steel fan. She runs hot and I'm actually getting detonation. I don't know too much about the capabilities of an aluminum radiator but I'm getting a better idea. My options:

A. Get a 2-row aluminum radiator that is a direct replacement, buy a new fan shroud and a flex fan. All of this can be installed by myself for probably around $400 in parts (that damn shroud is like $100-150!).

B. Get a 3-row aluminum radiator with electric fans and shroud attached. This will be installed by other for probably around $700-$800 parts & labor (that's a total guess on install cost). The plus side is I'll have more cooling capacity AND I can lose my mechanical fan thus freeing up more power.

My question: is option B worth the extra $$ or should I save my $ and go with option A for a similar end result?

martyo
12-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Go with B and don't look back unless originallity matters.

i run into cooling issues with a lot of my older cars.

Electric fans, aluminum radiators and shrouds go a long way towards curing the cooling issues.

SAAAAAC
12-15-2011, 09:26 AM
I have a 74. I just had my radiator replaced with a copper... Love this car.

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=129&pictureid=1111

Blackened300a
12-15-2011, 09:26 AM
No fan shroud??? That's 80% of your issue right there. Your fan is basically useless without one.

fastblackmerc
12-15-2011, 09:28 AM
No fan shroud??? That's 80% of your issue right there. Your fan is basically useless without one.

I agree.

I'd also go with option "B".

wickedmerc
12-15-2011, 09:45 AM

I know, I know.... Years ago when I was a young, (stupid), budding car guy, I was having motor mount issues. The fan would hit the shroud and it bugged me. What to do? Fix the motor mounts?? Naahhh, cut out the shroud! Brilliant!

Wasn't an issue before the rebuild.....now a big problem.

Pops
12-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Bet a new Radiator and a fan shroud will fix the issue! Plan B is also a good one!

tbone
12-15-2011, 10:22 AM
My first car was a 1972 Cutlass S with bucket seats! Man, what I would do to have that same car today!

omarauder
12-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Back when I had my '67 Firebird, it had overheating issues on very hot days with leadfoot driving. It had a 2-row brass rad with the factory shroud. When it started leaking took it to an old style radiator shop and they said they could rebuild it with 4-rows. No more overheating after that.... Installed a "Flush Kit" and flushed the cooling system every 2 years with a new thermostat. No problems while I had the car...
good luck with your Olds

1 Bad Merc
12-15-2011, 10:45 AM
I would go and buy a new fan shroud. I will bet after you install it that it will solve your problems.

Dont get sucked up into buying all the fancy parts just because they will save you weight. The difference in the new flex fan and your old fan is probably the same difference as you losing five pounds!

Had a friend looking to boost power on his' 78 corvette and let a parts store guru talk him into buying a flex fan and eliminating his' shroud to save weight. What a joke that turned out to be -car ran hot constantly and was slower then when he started!

Good luck with your car-always liked the Cutlass !!!!!

stevengerard
12-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Agree, get the fan shroud back on that is the major reason, the 350 is a great motor and doesn't get nearly as hot as the 455s and a 3-core radiator will keep those plenty cool. They now make reproduction shrouds so you are in luck. If not check the Oldsmobile forums, I'm sure there are plenty of 350 shrouds out there for purchase. They also make 4-core radiators that won't cost much more than a 3-core, so if you go that route, might as well go back to the four core. Your radiator support top is most likely a 4-core as well then and that's a valuable piece all by itself.

wickedmerc
12-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the input gents! I knew I could count on y'all.

New plan....I'll call it "C": Install Summit gauge cluster I bought earlier this year. See where I'm at with the temp then get the fan shroud (cheapest I saw was from Fusick: $109). Check temps again. I'm thinkin' with the motor work, the 3-core copper won't cut it. (I had a 4-core before engine build, no shroud. No problems. Radiator went and I cheaped-out and got the 3 core, still no shroud. I only put a few hundred miles on that set-up before pulling motor). If shroud makes a big difference but not quite enough, I'll continue plan A. If shroud has little effect, which I doubt, then I'll go right to plan B.

yjmud
12-15-2011, 09:01 PM
a three core on a mild street small block olds should be great a fan shroud should fix the problem

MyBlackBeasts
12-15-2011, 09:17 PM
I've had a '72 Olds Cutlass Supreme since 1992. It replaced my '70 Cutlass S that was stolen (:mad:). It was my DD through college and early work years, my then girlfriend/now wife had most of our dating years in that car. I love my Marauder but my Olds is my baby. She's a wreck (lived in the northeast its entire life) but I think she can be saved.

I have a lot of $ in the car over it's life so I don't see selling her as an option. It's a bucket seat/console car. In '07 I had the engine and trans rebuilt. Trans is 350 Turbo w/shift kit. 10-bolt Auburn posi. Kept the original Rocket 350, went .030" over, forged pistons, big cam, RPM intake, HEI conversion, compression bumped from stock 8.5 to 10.1. Still have old original, wheezing heads but port-matching a set of Edelbrocks is not anywhere near my budget for now.

A recent video: http://youtu.be/pCyaLAV28vg

My current issue and reason for the thread is that I need to upgrade my cooling system and I'm not sure which way to go. Right now I have 3-core copper radiator (downgraded from original 4-core after it went...that was dumb!), no fan shroud (don't ask...that was dumber!), and original 4-blade, heavy steel fan. She runs hot and I'm actually getting detonation. I don't know too much about the capabilities of an aluminum radiator but I'm getting a better idea. My options:

A. Get a 2-row aluminum radiator that is a direct replacement, buy a new fan shroud and a flex fan. All of this can be installed by myself for probably around $400 in parts (that damn shroud is like $100-150!).

B. Get a 3-row aluminum radiator with electric fans and shroud attached. This will be installed by other for probably around $700-$800 parts & labor (that's a total guess on install cost). The plus side is I'll have more cooling capacity AND I can lose my mechanical fan thus freeing up more power.

My question: is option B worth the extra $$ or should I save my $ and go with option A for a similar end result?

Go with 4 core & electric fans. There was a reason we did 4c rads back then. combine with el fan + no need for shroud cost & HP gain by no belt driven fan. U will be happy! :D

wickedmerc
12-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Go with 4 core & electric fans. There was a reason we did 4c rads back then. combine with el fan + no need for shroud cost & HP gain by no belt driven fan. U will be happy! :D

I do like the idea of losing my old, heavy fan and getting a few more horses. Also the aluminum radiator with the attached fans would look classy and clean. But, unless I come into some $$ unexpectedly, I have to consider cost as primary factor.
I know the biggest radiator, made of the best cooling material with the electric fans would be the best, it will most certainly be the most expensive. My Olds is strictly my toy and gets any trickle-down funds I can muster. As most of you know, being in the same boat, it's not much.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input.