PDA

View Full Version : The nod...

Blk Mamba
12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
..the thing men do when they pass each other walking, just a slight nod of the head, to say hello, how are you. I've watched, and participated in this for years, don't understand it, women don't do it, they usually talk. Anybody notice this?

ctrlraven
12-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Yep, I've noticed the same thing.

kernie
12-15-2011, 01:38 PM
They say hello in these parts.

:beer:

DOOM
12-15-2011, 01:57 PM
It's a MAN thing!

Guittard22
12-15-2011, 01:58 PM
It's what guys do

TooManyFords
12-15-2011, 02:45 PM
That's because it is frowned upon to sniff their a.ss

Mr. Man
12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Never stopped Haggis:D

Men can also cover a variety of salutations with the simple "Sup"

duhtroll
12-15-2011, 03:33 PM
You're going to the wrong clubs.

Blackened300a
12-15-2011, 03:36 PM
That's a constant ritual on every jobsite I ever been on. You say hello to those you know and nod to those you are working on the same job with.

MOTOWN
12-15-2011, 04:00 PM
The nod is just the way men greet eachother, our way of saying whazzz uuuppppp!!!!!!!

Ms. Denmark
12-15-2011, 04:04 PM
[______________

Haggis
12-16-2011, 05:16 AM
Never stopped Haggis:D

Men can also cover a variety of salutations with the simple "Sup"

That depends on how cute they are.

Bluerauder
12-16-2011, 05:20 AM
..the thing men do when they pass each other walking, just a slight nod of the head, to say hello, how are you. I've watched, and participated in this for years, don't understand it, women don't do it, they usually talk. Anybody notice this?

The "nod" only comes into play IF you can make eye contact with the individual. Over the past several years, there seems to be an increasing trend in NOT making eye contact on the street. Staring at the pavement in front of them seems to be par for the course for many. Not sure why this is true; but I suspect some are self-absorbed, insecure, or lack overall confidence in themselves. Maybe it is the result of too much time on Facebook or internet forums where they have totally lost the ability to socially interact with real people. :dunno:

Shaijack
12-16-2011, 05:57 AM
The nod is alive and well in the South. In fact, I was stuck shopping with the wife (Christmas gifts ) and The Nod was a way of transfering "Ya I got stuck shopping too).

sailsmen
12-16-2011, 06:13 AM
The "nod" only comes into play IF you can make eye contact with the individual. Over the past several years, there seems to be an increasing trend in NOT making eye contact on the street. Staring at the pavement in front of them seems to be par for the course for many. Not sure why this is true; but I suspect some are self-absorbed, insecure, or lack overall confidence in themselves. Maybe it is the result of too much time on Facebook or internet forums where they have totally lost the ability to socially interact with real people. :dunno:

One of the biggest challenges today is for $40 a month todays youth can live a fantastic "virtual life" on high speed. Why put in all the effort and risk for a real life that is not as good as the "virtual one".

The Matrix is being created.

Many of todays youth do not have proper skills to communicate with each other. They are begining to speak TEXTING.

When my children talk to me they are required to look me in the eye or I start speaking gibberish. Why gibberish, because that is in essence what they are speaking to me by not properly communicating.

Ozark Marauder
12-16-2011, 08:29 AM
It is very common here in the Ozarks to offer a head nod to another male as you pass each other or get caught glancing at each other. However, the further east I traveled, the head nod disappears among unfamiliar, i.e. while visiting my sister in Baltimore, and visiting D.C., you'd be hard pressed to get any unfamiliar male to return a nod of acknowledgement while simply walking down the street, most just stare at the pavement.

The nod of acknowledgement is sometimes accompanied by a slight raising of the eyebrows and a slight grin...kind of like "ahh, yes. i see what you are doing. good job.", i.e. You and your buddy are at a bar and from across the room you notice him hitting on a "hot" woman.

Most people are comfortable with eye contact of 3 seconds or less, try it yourself, you'll notice that they will look away, or try to stare you down. Basic fight or flight instinct.

Women will generally not accept the nod of acknowledgement and opt for a wave of the hand and/or a smile, most likely even accompanied by words.

The nod of acknowledgement is a wordless conversation. :twocents:

justbob
12-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Nodder here. Entire conversations can be had with a simple nod, or even a small grunt. Combine the two and its quite the universal language.

guspech750
12-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Nod......................nod nod........................... ....nooood.................... ...... Nodnodnod..................... .....nod......nod......nod.... .............................. nod..noooooooood....nod

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

SC Cheesehead
12-16-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm a big time "nodder" and have eally struggled with that over here in Qatar.

OCNs (Other Country Nationals) are pretty friendly, will often make eye contact, smile, and wish you a "hello," often nodding as well.

The locals will either look past you or through you, either way, they don't acknowledge you at all, pretty unsettling; it's like you don't even exist to them.

Ozark Marauder
12-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Nodder here. Entire conversations can be had with a simple nod, or even a small grunt. Combine the two and its quite the universal language.

small grunt...........:lol:

Shaijack
12-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Guys could write a book about the conversations in a simple nod. I know Billys kids and they are very nice. Now his nods mean alot. They give me brain freeze, with all the info.