PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Camaro Concept? NOT!

Donny Carlson
01-24-2004, 12:49 AM
This concept for a new Camaro design was done (with a little help, apparently) by a 16 year old. Sheesh, I think of what a doofus I was at 16... (alright, no cracks).

Anywho, here are some shots.

Donny Carlson
01-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Other side view.

Donny Carlson
01-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Rear 3/4 view. If you want to read the article about this remarkable concept car, here is the link -

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0309phr_5camaro/

Haggis
01-24-2004, 08:39 AM
...and another one bites the dust. :down:

TripleTransAm
01-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Actually, what happened was that a 16 year old (not sure about the age) drew up this concept car and submitted it, catching the attention of a lot of folks. Apparently there are a ton of aspects about the car that could NEVER make production, both for engineering/feasibility reasons AND for government regulations (doors, bumpers, etc.). But nonetheless it did spark the interest of a lot of internal GM folks.

We'll have to wait and see...

edit: I'm a loser... I didn't see the link posted to the article. I believe I got my info from that particular article a few months ago. Sorry for the redundancy, mea culpa...

MapleLeafMerc
01-24-2004, 09:10 AM
"It would have to be a rear-drive V-8 with a solid axle and cost between $25,000 and $30,000. I've always believed that it doesn't have to take money to be a car enthusiast."

Nice to see a young person with an interest in this. Maybe it will rekindle the flame in Detroit design studios.

Practicality aside, it's a good looking car. Good for him!

Marauder57
01-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Pretty cool looking......it would be nice to know they were not going to kill the name......but I just hope they don't pull the same crap like Mercury did with the Cougar a few years back.....

TripleTransAm
01-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Well, if they decide to stick the Firebird name on that Solstice concept car (2 seat 4cyl roadster) I'll abso-smurfly FREAK...

Donny Carlson
01-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Well, if they decide to stick the Firebird name on that Solstice concept car (2 seat 4cyl roadster) I'll abso-smurfly FREAK...Isn't the Solstice gonna make production?

You were right about the Camaro concept designer's age. He is (was?) 19, not 16. That makes me feel better by >< this much. (I was decidedly less pathetic at 19 :shake: )

TripleTransAm
01-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Isn't the Solstice gonna make production?

Supposedly...

... and I'm about as excited about it as Liberace would be while watching the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders practice in a rainstorm with a stiff cool headwind.

And like I said... as long as they call it a Solstice (or Fiero, for that matter), I'm okay. Just don't p*ss on the Firebird legacy by applying the name to this cutesy little car...

Michael_S
01-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Supposedly...

... and I'm about as excited about it as Liberace would be while watching the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders practice in a rainstorm with a stiff cool headwind.

And like I said... as long as they call it a Solstice (or Fiero, for that matter), I'm okay. Just don't p*ss on the Firebird legacy by applying the name to this cutesy little car...

The cheap roadster market is one that Ford, GM, and Chrysler have neglected recently. The Mazda Miata and Toyota MR2 Spyder have very loyal followings. It's for a radically different kind of enthusiast than, say, someone who really likes muscle cars, but it definitely has a big market. I personally think the Solstice is awesome and would really like to pick one up someday. I bet it's a blast to drive - and I also bet you can wind it through the gears like crazy without hitting speeds that will draw the attention of Johnny Law.

On the other hand, Firebird is all about muscular power and startling straight line acceleration. GM might be able to get away with a Firebird that makes its power from a smaller engine and forced induction, but I really doubt it. A plain 4 cylinder wouldn't sell at all.

SergntMac
01-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Only way I'm spending 30 large on a Camaro, is a mint '69 Z/28 or big block SS/RS.

BTW, anyone hearing SSR commercials on the radio. Every morning this week, my drive time traffic channel is pushing this thing heavy. I must hear it 4X in the ride to work. Alright already...Jeeze!

Donny Carlson
01-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Only way I'm spending 30 large on a Camaro, is a mint '69 Z/28 or big block SS/RS.

BTW, anyone hearing SSR commercials on the radio. Every morning this week, my drive time traffic channel is pushing this thing heavy. I must hear it 4X in the ride to work. Alright already...Jeeze!
No SSR radio time here, the big commercial is Bill Byrd KIA's "buy one get one free" commercials. You buy one specific new 2004 model (I forget which) at full sticker price, all rebates to the dealer, and he gives you a specific new 2003 KIA no charge. I think the 2004 is their "top of the line" sedan, the the 2003 is their base model 2 door. Whatever.

I've seen an SSR on the showroom at Edwards Chevrolet. Intersting design, but the price of admission is way too high. $42k? And it isn't even a decent pickup OR performance car.

BTW, My Dad owned a Goodyear Tire Center back in the 70's, and during one flood season the Chevrolet dealer worked a deal with him to store new cars on the lot behind the tire store. My brother got an excellent deal on a 72 El Camino, and I fell in love with a blue 72 Z-28. I could never convince my Dad to let me buy it (he insisted I would kill myself, which was probably true). Sigh!:shake:

TripleTransAm
02-03-2004, 09:56 PM
In the spirit of this thread.... I got the following from a local F-body group:

http://www.goauto.com.au/ in an article not on their site yet is reporting that the upcoming RWD chassis currently know in car circles as Sigma-Lite or Sigma-Mass has been given the internal GM Name of Zeta. The new Zeta chassis will underpin a multitude of upcoming GM RWD and AWD cars including Chevy and Pontiac large sedans, the 2007 GTO, the 2007 smaller than GTO Chevrolet coupe rumored to be the next Camaro along with Buick, Holden, and Opel models. The new chassis will come in many sizes and forms from small coupe to large sedan and even a new Holden UTE type vehicle. This platform will debut down under in the 2006 Commodore and quickly spread to North America. To build the new Zeta cars GM is currently studying retooling a US plant in the image of Holden'c manufacturing model that allows 20+ cars to be built on the same production line.

Michael_S
02-04-2004, 12:28 PM
In the spirit of this thread.... I got the following from a local F-body group:

http://www.goauto.com.au/ in an article not on their site yet is reporting that the upcoming RWD chassis currently know in car circles as Sigma-Lite or Sigma-Mass has been given the internal GM Name of Zeta. The new Zeta chassis will underpin a multitude of upcoming GM RWD and AWD cars including Chevy and Pontiac large sedans, the 2007 GTO, the 2007 smaller than GTO Chevrolet coupe rumored to be the next Camaro along with Buick, Holden, and Opel models. The new chassis will come in many sizes and forms from small coupe to large sedan and even a new Holden UTE type vehicle. This platform will debut down under in the 2006 Commodore and quickly spread to North America. To build the new Zeta cars GM is currently studying retooling a US plant in the image of Holden'c manufacturing model that allows 20+ cars to be built on the same production line.

Very cool stuff, thanks for the info. If you look at http://www.autofieldguide.com, they list articles describing all sorts of new tech. Not just cars and engines but also changes in car fabrication, material science, paints, alloys, and everything else. Very neat stuff.