PDA

View Full Version : MM HID conversion

NXSBOB
12-26-2011, 10:15 AM
I want to convert to HID.

What is the best/good price conversion kit and which to avoid?

slickster
12-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Ddmtuning.com 9007 hi/low kit

slickster
12-26-2011, 10:34 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53542&highlight=Ddmtuning

jwibbity
12-26-2011, 10:36 AM
got mine from diodedynamics.com

3K, 4.3K, 6K, & 8K

$80 bucks a kit

whitey
12-26-2011, 10:58 AM
i just read all 25 or so pages of ctrlraven's post last night.....im going with ddm tuning 9007 hi/low slim ballast kit.....ctrlraven and fastblackmerc could both point you in good directions.....ddmtuning i think has the kits for $60 plus shipping, with a lifetime warranty--whitey

ps: to save you time reading....ctrlraven had 6000k at first...loved them...then tried 5000k, and liked them a lot more...but its all personal preference....im going with 5000k, i dont like the blue 'fast and furious' look

fastblackmerc
12-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Before you buy...

My experience from DDM Tuning was terrible.

Ordered and paid for a kit. Had to purchase the ballast brackets separately... as far as I know DDM is the only ones that charge extra for ballasts bracket. Kit was too expensive for what I got.

Took 3 weeks to get.

Not the quality I was expecting.

No instructions (I don't need any but it would be nice to have them).

Installed them and nothing worked.

Tried to get them to work for 3 days.

Finally gave up and ordered from my supplier.

Kit arrived in 3 days!

Plugged everything in and it worked.... right out of the box.

The kit comes in a very professional looking box, with instructions, and slim ballasts. DDM charges more if you want slim ballasts.

I can get these kits for between $70 & $80 dollars shipped. Any bulb size and color.

Caveat Emptor!

Serge
12-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Do it right or not at all. Too many idiots that blind people on the road already.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

fastblackmerc
12-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Do it right or not at all. Too many idiots that blind people on the road already.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Do you have them on your car?

Never had a problem blinding other drivers......... just have to make sure that the headlights are properly adjusted.

Poorly adjusted halogen headlights can blind other drivers too...........

A HID kit is an easy solution for increasing headlight output.

ChiTownMaraud3r
12-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Our cars don't glare other drivers because it is just a rectangle that outputs light forward, unlike other non-HID cars' headlamp housings that are shaped and angled in a way that will glare to the side if projectors are not used. Such as a 2004 Lexus GS, HIDs in there and you will illuminate the guy driving next to you.

The only thing that may be needed is to lower the aim a bit just in case.

Serge
12-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Do you have them on your car?

Sure do. Both my cars actually.

bigmerc'03
12-26-2011, 11:27 PM
my ddm hids worked out the box and i aimed them so no blinding other drivers and i love them

ctrlraven
12-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Before you buy...

Ordered and paid for a kit. Had to purchase the ballast brackets separately... as far as I know DDM is the only ones that charge extra for ballasts bracket. Kit was too expensive for what I got.

Took 3 weeks to get.

Kit arrived in 3 days!

The kit comes in a very professional looking box, with instructions, and slim ballasts. DDM charges more if you want slim ballasts.

I can get these kits for between $70 & $80 dollars shipped. Any bulb size and color.

Caveat Emptor!
Make sure you also point out that you bought their Raptor kit (low-end) and not their DDM slim ballast kit which every one else on here has purchased including myself. The Raptor kit comes with the big ballast which having the brackets does help the install, with the slim ballast I just used the provided double sided tape and zip tiles.

I have 2 DDM slim ballast kits in the MM and 2 DDM slim ballast kits in my Taurus. In the past year their kits can take 1-2 weeks for delivery because they do so much volume of business and their kits are shipped directly from their China warehouse (China is where all aftermarket HID kits are made anyways, besides the ones that list from Germany). DDM did this because it cut their cost down of dealing with customs and wait time on large shipments to clear customs.

Being as FBM is a vendor here I will say to purchase from him to show him support but in the end the choice is yours. If anyone gets a DDM kit and needs help with the install of the headlights or questions about the fog lights just hit me up.

If you have a question about the light output color a good example is factory equipped vehicles HID K temp is 4300k. I had 6000k before and it was pretty clear but had a slight blue hue to it, when I switched to 5000k it was a huge difference in the light output plus it was more pure white. Just as an example DDMs slim ballast system provides 3200-3400 Lumens at 35 watts and an amazing 5000 Lumens at 55 watts per bulb. In comparison, a typical halogen bulb produces 900-1200 lumens. Now when you start to go above 4300-4500k (3400-3200 lumens @ 35 watts) the higher the K the lower the lumens will be. 6000k is roughly 2200-2300 lumens and 5000k is roughly 2800 lumens all going off a 35 watt system. Any 55 watt is overkill for a halogen housing and I do not recommend them for our headlights or especially the fog lights.

fastblackmerc
12-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Make sure you also point out that you bought their Raptor kit (low-end) and not their DDM slim ballast kit which every one else on here has purchased including myself. The Raptor kit comes with the big ballast which having the brackets does help the install, with the slim ballast I just used the provided double sided tape and zip tiles.

I have 2 DDM slim ballast kits in the MM and 2 DDM slim ballast kits in my Taurus. In the past year their kits can take 1-2 weeks for delivery because they do so much volume of business and their kits are shipped directly from their China warehouse (China is where all aftermarket HID kits are made anyways, besides the ones that list from Germany). DDM did this because it cut their cost down of dealing with customs and wait time on large shipments to clear customs.

Being as FBM is a vendor here I will say to purchase from him to show him support but in the end the choice is yours. If anyone gets a DDM kit and needs help with the install of the headlights or questions about the fog lights just hit me up.

If you have a question about the light output color a good example is factory equipped vehicles HID K temp is 4300k. I had 6000k before and it was pretty clear but had a slight blue hue to it, when I switched to 5000k it was a huge difference in the light output plus it was more pure white. Just as an example DDMs slim ballast system provides 3200-3400 Lumens at 35 watts and an amazing 5000 Lumens at 55 watts per bulb. In comparison, a typical halogen bulb produces 900-1200 lumens. Now when you start to go above 4300-4500k (3400-3200 lumens @ 35 watts) the higher the K the lower the lumens will be. 6000k is roughly 2800 lumens and 5000k is roughly 2200-2300 lumens all going off a 35 watt system. Any 55 watt is overkill for a halogen housing and I do not recommend them for our headlights or especially the fog lights.

Yes I did get the kit with the non-slim ballasts. Wanted to compare the kits I get against the DDM kit, price-wise. So far mine is winning :D. My kits have a 2 year warranty, but they also cost less. I've had one installed for 4 years with no problems. I called and emailed DDM's tech support when I had problems... still haven't gotten a response from them.

slickster
12-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Ddm customer support sucks. They hardly answer the phone to place orders

burt ragio
12-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Before you buy...

Took 3 weeks to get.

Kit arrived in 3 days!

Caveat Emptor!

So what kit mfg do you prefer ?
Is the H/L both xenon ?
What is the estimated life of bulb ?

fastblackmerc
12-27-2011, 12:54 PM
So what kit mfg do you prefer ?
Is the H/L both xenon ?
What is the estimated life of bulb ?

Q. So what kit mfg do you prefer?
A. Most HID kits use the same components. The HID kits I use are shipped from the U.S. and are backed by a 24 month warranty.

Q. Is the H/L both xenon?
A. The bulbs are Bi-Xenon. The kit for Hi/Lo beams has a solenoid that moves the bulb up or down depending on the function, up for Hi beanms, down for Lo beams. I can get a kit that has dual Bi-Xenon bulbs --- yes there are 2 HID bulbs per headlight. The kit is expensive and you have to get creative mounting 4 ballasts. I have this kit installed on my Marauder.

Q. What is the estimated life of bulb?
A. 5000 hours.

I also include detailed instructions and pictures with every kit in addition to the instructions provided.

MercOut
12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
I went with ddmtuning.com, everything has worked perfectly for me.

I just(Dec. 24) put in hi/lo beams for my friend who has an impala and they worked right out of the box...We're satisfied

They also have instructions on their website for each type of bulb

Right now they're $40/set

ChiTownMaraud3r
12-27-2011, 01:16 PM
6000k is roughly 2800 lumens and 5000k is roughly 2200-2300 lumens all going off a 35 watt system.

I think you meant the other way around brotha. 5K is 2800 lumens output, and the higher you go the lower the lumens.

fastblackmerc
12-27-2011, 01:20 PM
I went with ddmtuning.com, everything has worked perfectly for me.

I just(Dec. 24) put in hi/lo beams for my friend who has an impala and they worked right out of the box...We're satisfied

They also have instructions on their website for each type of bulb

Right now they're $40/set

$40.00 per set unless you want Hi/Lo bulbs. If you do it's extra.

ctrlraven
12-27-2011, 01:37 PM
I think you meant the other way around brotha. 5K is 2800 lumens output, and the higher you go the lower the lumens.
You're right, was doing like ten things at once at work while trying to type as well. lol

ctrlraven
12-27-2011, 01:41 PM
$40.00 per set unless you want Hi/Lo bulbs. If you do it's extra.
Of course it will be extra, the actuator bulb costs and a hi/lo harness is required which is what the extra $20 is for.

Also you mentioned your kits are shipped from the US, whoever you get your kits from gets them from China. lol

fastblackmerc
12-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Also you mentioned your kits are shipped from the US, whoever you get your kits from gets them from China. lol

As I alluded to when I said all HID components come from the same place.

ctrlraven
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
As I alluded to when I said all HID components come from the same place.

I know I was referring to this part.

The HID kits I use are shipped from the U.S. and are backed by a 24 month warranty.

burt ragio
12-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Q. So what kit mfg do you prefer?
A. Most HID kits use the same components. The HID kits I use are shipped from the U.S. and are backed by a 24 month warranty.

Q. Is the H/L both xenon?
A. The bulbs are Bi-Xenon. The kit for Hi/Lo beams has a solenoid that moves the bulb up or down depending on the function, up for Hi beanms, down for Lo beams. I can get a kit that has dual Bi-Xenon bulbs --- yes there are 2 HID bulbs per headlight. The kit is expensive and you have to get creative mounting 4 ballasts. I have this kit installed on my Marauder.

Q. What is the estimated life of bulb?
A. 5000 hours.

I also include detailed instructions and pictures with every kit in addition to the instructions provided.

So who is the manufacturer ?

fastblackmerc
12-27-2011, 09:18 PM
So who is the manufacturer ?

China.

No matter who you buy from your either going to get a kit with Chinese components or a kit with European components (much more expensive).

The ballasts in my kits are Xentec.

ctrlraven
12-28-2011, 06:29 AM
China.

No matter who you buy from your either going to get a kit with Chinese components or a kit with European components (much more expensive).

The ballasts in my kits are Xentec.

It's funny, my first HID kit was a euro McCulloch kit for $400, it lasted 13 months which was 1 month outside of the warranty. The chinese kits I have lasted well more than that on both of my cars now. lol

Serge
12-28-2011, 11:30 AM
my ddm hids worked out the box and i aimed them so no blinding other drivers and i love them

It's not possible to aim regular headlights to avoid blinding other drivers. The headlight housing wasn't designed to work with HID bulbs so no matter how much adjustment you do, you will still blind other drivers and low flying UFOs.

There are cars that come from the factory with HID headlights without projectors. Those cars however have housings that were designed for HID bulbs.

The only way to eliminate glare and have correct aiming on these cars is to install projectors. I can't believe how many people here spend thousands on superchargers and other performance mods yet go the cheap route when it comes to night safety.

sanco
12-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Projectors look just plain weird in our housing, on aero body panthers they look great but on ours it's just weird...redesigning the headlight would be an option but coming up with something that looks good would be the hardest part

fastblackmerc
12-28-2011, 01:08 PM
It's not possible to aim regular headlights to avoid blinding other drivers. The headlight housing wasn't designed to work with HID bulbs so no matter how much adjustment you do, you will still blind other drivers and low flying UFOs.

There are cars that come from the factory with HID headlights without projectors. Those cars however have housings that were designed for HID bulbs.

The only way to eliminate glare and have correct aiming on these cars is to install projectors. I can't believe how many people here spend thousands on superchargers and other performance mods yet go the cheap route when it comes to night safety.

Yes it is possible to aim headlights with HIDs. I have NEVER had anyone flash their lights at me in the 4 years l've had HIDs installed.

HIDs are a 100% improvment over the factory bulbs.

fastblackmerc
12-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Projectors look just plain weird in our housing, on aero body panthers they look great but on ours it's just weird...redesigning the headlight would be an option but coming up with something that looks good would be the hardest part

I agree. Projectors don't look right in the Marauder's housing.

bigmerc'03
12-28-2011, 01:19 PM

LIER...... :censor: i went to a ford dealer and they showed me what to do how to bring em up or down

ctrlraven
12-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Yes it is possible to aim headlights with HIDs. I have NEVER had anyone flash their lights at me in the 4 years l've had HIDs installed.

I've had a few people flash their lights at me but that was with my first kit 3+ years ago when I just threw them in and didn't aim them. The back of my shop garage door is white and enough room to be 25 back on a flat level surface, I even have the measured markings to properly aim Marauder headlights with HID kits.

Yes there is some glare but not anymore than with a car that has factory projectors but with proper aiming (aimed below the factory set beam pattern) it greatly reduces the glare at oncoming traffic.

The only reason why projectors are ideal is because it spreads the light evenly and has a cutoff which needed with projectors otherwise they would blind people even more.

I find more idiots with improper aimed halogen headlights more annoying then people with aftermarket HID kits or factory projector systems.

fastblackmerc
12-28-2011, 02:25 PM
LIAR...... :censor: i went to a ford dealer and they showed me what to do how to bring em up or down

Fixed it for you.

Serge
12-28-2011, 03:16 PM

Yes, it's possible to aim headlights with HIDs to shine the light in somewhat forward direction.

Even though they are an improvement over factory bulbs for you - the driver, they are not an improvement for other drivers on the road.

Have a look here about light dynamics, optics and beam patterns.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Yes there is some glare but not anymore than with a car that has factory projectors...

I started off with a plug and play kit as well and the amount of glare even after adjustment was huge. Hence why I went with projectors.

This is what the output looks like with TL projectors on my Merk.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/630358/original/dsc_2870.jpg

And these are from threads on here. The light is scattered all over the road. I see a large spot in the center and the rest is all over the place. No adjustment in the world will eliminate that glare.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/capt512/IMAG0525.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/pbrodersen/Headlights/DSCN3948.jpg

Projectors aim all the light into a single spot. It's impossible to do that with regular headlight housings. Unless the HID bulb gets completely redesigned to shine the light in same direction as a halogen bulb (or the headlight reflector is redesigned to work with HID bulbs), the HIDs will always glare.

Even my cheap, Chinese projector kit that I got off Ebay for my Vic is 100 times better than no projector.

Here is a comparison pic that I took while doing the install. HID bulb in stock housing on the left, projector on the right. I should've moved the car further back to show the real difference. I am going to take some output pics on the road tonight.
https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/827623/original/dsc_7001.jpg

Also, to each his own I guess but I think this Marauder with projectors looks sexy. The key is to use proportional size projector. Small TL projectors will look stupid on a Marauder but something larger like FX-35 or similar will work nicely.
http://www.lightwerkz.net/news/2011/03/16/ross-mercury-marauder-fxr-bixenon-conversion/

bigmerc'03
12-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Fixed it for you.

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BirchMarauder
12-30-2011, 07:50 AM

100% improvement still doesn't make it legal.

capt512
12-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Throwing in my .02 on the HID conversion. I have it done to my MM, and have the wiring harness done on my CV. The HID conversion definetly seems to light the road up more than the wiring harness upgrade. As far as blinding other drivers, IMO thats all about aiming. Will projectors work better in that respect - yes. However properly aimed HIDs IMO are no worse than regular halogens as far as blinding people. I have bad eyes at night already and bright lights cause me headaches.
So after installing my HIDs I had someone drive my car behind and towards me in both my CV (lower height) and 4runner (higher up) to see how it was. The result was no worse than my upgraded wiring harness. The light was very tolerable and aimed way down.
Is it legal? No. However if aimed correctly and of a normalish tint (4500-6000) they are by far the least of worries. The big problem with HIDs in cars they shouldn't be is the strange colors of the higher tint units, and people who refuse to aim thier lights....which IMO isn't any different than the people driving all around with thier halogens not aimed right. The biggest difference is the acceptable variance in aiming.
For some states aftermarket exhaust is illegal, ie changing mufflers...so keep that in mind as well.

fastblackmerc
12-30-2011, 10:36 AM
100% improvement still doesn't make it legal.

I didn't say it was legal.

If you headlights are aimed properly and your not running blue or purple HIDs. Most LEO's wouldn't know the difference or have any reason to stop you.

BirchMarauder
12-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Guarantee you I.could spot a 5000k hid in a halogen housing from a mile away. Properly aimed or not. js.

BirchMarauder
12-30-2011, 11:34 AM
On a side note, ill be installing 12k hids this weekend

bolsen
12-30-2011, 03:37 PM
12k? Why?

ChiTownMaraud3r
12-30-2011, 03:54 PM
12k will look horrible. I am running 8s and I hate them. Will redo with 5s.

Serge
12-30-2011, 04:20 PM
If you guys are happy with this then carry on.

I would much rather have this though.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/901593/original/dsc_8369.jpg
https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/901594/original/dsc_8367.jpg

capt512
12-30-2011, 05:16 PM
I don't think anyone disagrees that projectors are the way to go if you have the cash, however many like myself don't have $500-1000 to spend on projector retrofit. So then its more of a question of if hids in standard housings improve light output and are safe to other drivers.

burt ragio
12-30-2011, 08:13 PM
I too would love some HID projectors but the cost is not cheap. this was my reply from www.lightwerks.com (http://www.lightwerks.com)
All that would be required from you is a set of headlights. We can supply you with the conversion parts and labor. Parts package start at $315 and the labor runs $755. The cost for the angel eyes is $110 extra.

Let me know if you have any questions. We can certainly used a different shroud to create something unique for you.

slickster
12-30-2011, 08:16 PM
On a side note, ill be installing 12k hids this weekend

Umm that's purple

capt512
12-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Exactly, $1200 is more than some of us can afford for projectors.

BirchMarauder
12-31-2011, 01:48 AM
I installed retrofitted projectors in my truck myself, not hard, and it was $350 or so for the kit.

BirchMarauder
12-31-2011, 02:03 AM
Umm that's purple

Yes, yes it is.

fastblackmerc
12-31-2011, 05:26 AM
If you guys are happy with this then carry on.

I would much rather have this though.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/901593/original/dsc_8369.jpg
https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/901594/original/dsc_8367.jpg

Well....

Thanks for your blessing! :bows:

fastblackmerc
12-31-2011, 05:28 AM
Guarantee you I.could spot a 5000k hid in a halogen housing from a mile away. Properly aimed or not. js.

I could to.....

But I'm not a LEO and I wouldn't be pulling you over. :D

fastblackmerc
12-31-2011, 05:29 AM
I installed retrofitted projectors in my truck myself, not hard, and it was $350 or so for the kit.

And that is more than 3 x's the cost of an average HID kit.

How many hours of labor involved?

fastblackmerc
12-31-2011, 05:31 AM
Yes, yes it is.

Please don't post any pictures...............

Serge
12-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Exactly, $1200 is more than some of us can afford for projectors.

A retrofit is nowhere near that. If it was I wouldn't be doing it. I don't have $1200 to blow on headlights.

Mine cost me at the very most $500 on the Merk and $200 on the Vic. Realistically it was more like $350 on the Merk and $150 on the Vic. Merk was more because I used Acura TL projectors and bought HIDs separately. Vic was a cheap retrofit kit that included everything. I've had it going on 2 years now with no issues.

That same cheap kit can be fit onto a Marauder very easily. It was basically a bolt on with exception of taking the lens off.

BirchMarauder
12-31-2011, 11:54 AM
And that is more than 3 x's the cost of an average HID kit.

How many hours of labor involved?

guessing it took me probably a total of 8-10 hours spread out over a couple weekends because there is only so much you can do during the daylight hours and then you need to work some at night to align the lights.

BirchMarauder
12-31-2011, 02:32 PM
http://media.photobucket.com/image/12000%20kelvin%20hid/mSaLL150/user51505_pic145219_1283519411 .jpg

:lol:

:D

:baaa:

bolsen
01-02-2012, 02:13 AM
guessing it took me probably a total of 8-10 hours spread out over a couple weekends because there is only so much you can do during the daylight hours and then you need to work some at night to align the lights.

Do you have any sort of writeup or installation directions? I've looked. I can you post pics of your headlight housings in daylight? I want to see how the projectors look.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-03-2012, 08:50 PM
A retrofit is nowhere near that. If it was I wouldn't be doing it. I don't have $1200 to blow on headlights.

Mine cost me at the very most $500 on the Merk and $200 on the Vic. Realistically it was more like $350 on the Merk and $150 on the Vic. Merk was more because I used Acura TL projectors and bought HIDs separately. Vic was a cheap retrofit kit that included everything. I've had it going on 2 years now with no issues.

That same cheap kit can be fit onto a Marauder very easily. It was basically a bolt on with exception of taking the lens off.

Link to the kit you used on the Vic?

Serge
01-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Link to the kit you used on the Vic?

It was one of these kits except mine wasn't bi-xenon.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-G1-Bi-xenon-HID-Headlight-Projector-Lens-Light-H4-H1-H7-9005-9006-4300K-/250962641170?hash=item3a6e8a01 12&item=250962641170&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Acce ssories&vxp=mtr

Also, the projectors in this kit are rather small to fill the Marauder headlights. I suggest going with a G3 kit which has larger projectors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G3-Bi-xenon-HID-Headlight-Projector-Lens-Kit-H1-H7-H4-H13-9005-9006-9004-/150723315230?hash=item2317cf46 1e&item=150723315230&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Acce ssories&vxp=mtr

BirchMarauder
01-04-2012, 05:02 PM
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=227

this is the kit I used on my ranger and the kit I will be using on my MM. I had lots of questions when I was installing and the guys that answer the phone at the retrofit source are nothing but helpful. there is all kinds of technical help on their website as well.

there is an entire forum @ http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.php

BirchMarauder
01-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Do you have any sort of writeup or installation directions? I've looked. I can you post pics of your headlight housings in daylight? I want to see how the projectors look.

pic of projector on ranger. you cant really see the projector itself due to the shroud that sits over it to cover the ugly parts. I installed an angel eye ccfl ring which is at the front most part of the projector. dont have any write ups but I could point you in the right direction if you were interested in doing it yourself.