PDA

View Full Version : Curved front marauder rims?

Chayton
12-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Was looking at a marauder, it was in a crash and the front rims were "curved" the owner still has them, but the car is sitting on plain crown vic steelies. anyways, If the damage is not that bad, how much would it cost, if at all possible, to fix the rims? and, how much for 2 new marauder rims? thanks!

05crownsport
12-27-2011, 08:46 PM
It depends on how much of a curve you're talking about. Any time metal is bent, and then bent back, it is weaker. Pictures would help.

Spectragod
12-27-2011, 08:46 PM
New MM rims, if they can be found, are over 1k a copy. Those wheels may be repairable, but if their egg shaped, most likely not, at least not cheap.

Chayton
12-27-2011, 08:58 PM
It depends on how much of a curve you're talking about. Any time metal is bent, and then bent back, it is weaker. Pictures would help.
I'll try to get pictures, it sounds as if they are repairable but I dunno.

New MM rims, if they can be found, are over 1k a copy. Those wheels may be repairable, but if their egg shaped, most likely not, at least not cheap.

so that would be (over) 2k to replace? the only good thing about this is I should be able to drive down the price.

Spectragod
12-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Instead of fixing them or buying new, I would just buy some good used examples, usually $200 or so each.

Chayton
12-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Instead of fixing them or buying new, I would just buy some good used examples, usually $200 or so each.

some used... examples? used marauder rims? Sorry if I'm ignorant :P

CBT
12-27-2011, 09:09 PM
If they are bent, they are trashed. Walk away. Aluminum starts to sag under its own weight when heated to about 800 degrees, so it is hard to do bend repairs. And cast Aluminum doesn't like to be bent when it's cold, so either way it is more of a pain in the butt than it is worth. Find some used ones on here and re-chrome them. Rims pop up on here, just keep an eye out.

Chayton
12-27-2011, 09:11 PM
If they are bent, they are trashed. Walk away. Aluminum starts to sag under its own weight when heated to about 800 degrees, so it is hard to do bend repairs. And cast Aluminum doesn't like to be bent when it's cold, so either way it is more of a pain in the butt than it is worth. Find some used ones on here and re-chrome them. Rims pop up on here, just keep an eye out.

okay, sounds good. If I did buy the car, any idea as to what to do with the rims? giant paper weights? :D

CBT
12-27-2011, 09:18 PM
okay, sounds good. If I did buy the car, any idea as to what to do with the rims? giant paper weights? :D

Dunno, maybe they could be salvaged by widening them.

05crownsport
12-27-2011, 09:22 PM

The scrap metal value of them is all you would have. The rims are forged...not cast CBT... still bent is bent which could mean junk. Of course to bend a forged rim takes more force.

gdsqdcr
12-27-2011, 09:24 PM
If you buy the one on Craigslist, be weary. The price sounds great but with the motor running in the picture, the ABS light, check engine and some other light is on. I know the car is running cause RPM's are at 650 or so.

Chayton
12-27-2011, 09:26 PM
If you buy the one on Craigslist, be weary. The price sounds great but with the motor running in the picture, the ABS light, check engine and some other light is on. I know the car is running cause RPM's are at 650 or so.

Yup Im eyeballin it :P Whatcha think its worth?

DOOM
12-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Factory rims $1,400 each!!!

PonyUP
12-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Important to note, that you don't have to put in factory rims, 07 Mustang GT rims would look good.
But Bobby, you've shown interest in numerous Marauders, all in questionable states.
You're not going to get one dirt cheap. I suggest you stop getting your mouth watering until you have the budget to get a decent one which will be 7-10k

Pony seal of Approval

05crownsport
12-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Important to note, that you don't have to put in factory rims, 07 Mustang GT rims would look good.
But Bobby, you've shown interest in numerous Marauders, all in questionable states.
You're not going to get one dirt cheap. I suggest you stop getting your mouth watering until you have the budget to get a decent one which will be 7-10k

Pony seal of Approval

That's good advice. Inevitably you would wind up spending the money anyway. It would be better to buy one you could use right away...I'm waiting for the right one/right price.

gdsqdcr
12-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Yup Im eyeballin it :P Whatcha think its worth?

With the pictures he supplied ... the attempts to auction it off not to long ago ... and the fact that it has been listed for ~3 months now. It started at 11K, now we are at 8.5K. I would probably not offer over 5K for it and that would only be if it passed smog and the airbag was intact. Why, simply all those warning lights on the dash mean something. Knowing the car had an accident, and both front rims were bent ... I would suspect that it was not fixed properly.

Anthony

Chayton
12-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Pony seal of Approval
Its too hard to resist! some time around may-june I will very likely have the budget. Not saying im buying this car any time soon, just curious about the whole rim situation.

boatmangc
12-28-2011, 04:05 AM

Pony seal of Approval

Bobby, he's right you know.
You get what you pay for. That is very true, it is VERY unlikely you will get one on the cheap that isn't a POS.
If you buy one that uses your entire savings how are you going to be able to pay for the repairs that a cheap MM will inevitably need?

A broke down MM in your driveway and no money in your pocket to fix it will suck worse than not having a MM at all.

Mercguy04
12-28-2011, 06:25 AM
Or you could buy it and part it out. The sum of the parts is worth more than the car.
I haven't seen the car so I am just assuming there are some salvagable parts.
It not, don't bother.

Blessings
Stay Safe
Russell

magindat
12-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Marauder rims are VERY strong. If the rims are trashed, chances are the frame is bent or diamond and suspension parts are bent/damaged. Unless you intend to completely go through the repairs, walk away.

Chayton
12-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Bobby, he's right you know.
You get what you pay for. That is very true, it is VERY unlikely you will get one on the cheap that isn't a POS.
If you buy one that uses your entire savings how are you going to be able to pay for the repairs that a cheap MM will inevitably need?

A broke down MM in your driveway and no money in your pocket to fix it will suck worse than not having a MM at all.

Good point. But previously I was told that all I deserve is a trashed old marauder to fix up, or something along the lines of that :confused:

whitey
12-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Find some used ones on here and re-chrome them. Rims pop up on here, just keep an eye out.

the rims are polished aluminum, not chrome.....right? don't confuse me now after 2 years:P