PDA

View Full Version : Got Amy her own lil gun to shoot.

CBT
12-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Was at Norfolk Naval Base re-newing the base stickers for Amy's car and decided to cruise over to the Marine Corps Exchange. The NEX (Navy Exchange) does not sell weapons, but the MEX sure do!
So I picked up this little ArmaLite AR-10 for her. The salesman says "No offense, but how big is she, because this is going to have a little kick." I said "No problem, so does she." :P She hasn't seen it, as she is up visiting fam in the greater Chicagoland area.
Mil-Spec rifle, no polished crap or collector grade finish that she will be afraid to get a scratch on. National match trigger and barrel, generation II mag, 7.62 NATO caliber that will be sending .308 Winchesters down range at whatever targets she picks out. I knowingly got hers with a fixed handle on top, she doesn't need a scope. If the need to be making headshots at 800 to 1,000 yards away ever comes up, I got that covered myself. :cool:

CBT
12-28-2011, 07:50 PM
....more....

SC Cheesehead
12-28-2011, 07:53 PM
http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/b0/b05a5df6_Borat-VeryNice.jpg

PurdueRifleman
12-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Headshots at 800-1000yds are still possible with irons, they just require more practice and more discipline. I'd say ask Carlos Hathcock or John Burke, but both are now dead. They pulled off some incredible shots with the somewhat less accurate M14. One such case was over 900yds!

AR-10's are like muscle cars, though. There's no rhyme or reason for them to be as big as they are, but damnit if you don't look good with one! The recoil on those is negligible and she'll love what you got her.

DOOM
12-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Thought her lil gun was in your pants??? :confused:

That's what Joe said! :hide:

CBT
12-28-2011, 08:20 PM

BOOM! Headshot! Hey.....wait a minute....

CBT
12-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Headshots at 800-1000yds are still possible with irons, they just require more practice and more discipline. I'd say ask Carlos Hathcock or John Burke, but both are now dead. They pulled off some incredible shots with the somewhat less accurate M14. One such case was over 900yds!

AR-10's are like muscle cars, though. There's no rhyme or reason for them to be as big as they are, but damnit if you don't look good with one! The recoil on those is negligible and she'll love what you got her.

Brother they had an M14 there, jet flat black, tasteful and functional mods, looked like stealth bomber. Mouth wateringly tempting, I mean niiiiiiice. It had the "If you have to ask, you can't afford me" look, so I did not ask, lol.

Yeah I think she will love it. We have to break in the barrel in what seems like a 20 step process that will drive her insane doing 9 shots, clean, single shot, double clean, repeat, repeat, repeat. The anticipation will cause her to explode just like any other time we go to the range, but it will teach her to clean it and important basics like assembly, dis-assembly, etc. The barrel will not be warranted if the steps aren't followed, supposedly. I'm going to go to the Bass Pro Shop up the street and get her her own cleaning kit and such. After that, it's going to be like the vehicles here: you take care of yours, I'll take care of mine, and occasionally we may use the other persons. Okay, rarely, lol.
I also got her a new 14 piece set of pots and pans she wanted. She made out this year now that I think about it, dang.

BODYMAN
12-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Thats Just a Very Nice LIL Gun you picked her up there!! Always tell the wife you are not my 1st love, Them 2 Oversize gun safes full of toys are lol. Always had no problem dropping good coin on a nice firearm, But here lately it's been getting so bad I either need to stop. Or make a decision if I want 2 hobbys or one. Hope she likes the new item!!! As for snipers you guys see them shows on History channel I think it was? Them Marine& Army guys making a bunch of record kill shots crazy stuff.

CBT
12-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Thats Just a Very Nice LIL Gun you picked her up there!! Always tell the wife you are not my 1st love, Them 2 Oversize gun safes full of toys are lol. Always had no problem dropping good coin on a nice firearm, But here lately it's been getting so bad I either need to stop. Or make a decision if I want 2 hobbys or one. Hope she likes the new item!!! As for snipers you guys see them shows on History channel I think it was? Them Marine& Army guys making a bunch of record kill shots crazy stuff.

Whoa, tons of guns, nice :beer:

Yep we tend to watch stuff like that. When we visit my Mom in Tennessee we break out some serious fire power and have all the long distance we need to play sniper. Now next time we go Amy can say "Scuse me while I whip this out!" and have her own boom-stick to cut loose with.

BODYMAN
12-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Whoa, tons of guns, nice :beer:

Yep we tend to watch stuff like that. When we visit my Mom in Tennessee we break out some serious fire power and have all the long distance we need to play sniper. Now next time we go Amy can say "Scuse me while I whip this out!" and have her own boom-stick to cut loose with.

Yep & as you know with guns good thing they dont loose any value if taken care of. Not like Hot Rods dump 25,000 into one and sell 4yrs later and loose 7000 on it.
Very Nice I wish I could say my Wife gets that excited about shooting! When we were younger she did but not so much anymore. Maybe because she hears it all the time in the back yard (main reason moved from city). As for Long shot's kinda got same deal but Family is in Nebraska They got huge tracts of Farm Land, Get out there picking at them praire dogs when they pop there heads up out of there hole. Several good friends have been on me to go to Knob Creek this coming year.

CBT
12-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Yep & as you know with guns good thing they dont loose any value if taken care of. Not like Hot Rods dump 25,000 into one and sell 4yrs later and loose 7000 on it.
Very Nice I wish I could say my Wife gets that excited about shooting! When we were younger she did but not so much anymore. Maybe because she hears it all the time in the back yard (main reason moved from city). As for Long shot's kinda got same deal but Family is in Nebraska They got huge tracts of Farm Land, Get out there picking at them praire dogs when they pop there heads up out of there hole. Several good friends have been on me to go to Knob Creek this coming year.

What's Knob Creek, like a shooting contest/get together?

05crownsport
12-28-2011, 09:34 PM
I wanna see you drilling with her new weapon sailor! That's a very nice piece, I hope it brings her joy and happiness to send some rounds downrange.

yjmud
12-28-2011, 10:09 PM
My buddy has a 10 with a 24" bull barrel it is awesome to shoot

guspech750
12-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Thats bad Azzzzzzzzzzz!!

Now send her azzzz to the southern border and start picking off illegals!!
---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

guspech750
12-28-2011, 10:14 PM

Lmao!!! :lol:

---
- Sent from my iPhone

Mr. Man
12-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Well at least one of you won't be shooting blanks:D

Haggis
12-29-2011, 05:36 AM

I keep trying to get Mike to set it up on one of the Kentucky meets. So far a no go; wimp.

SC Cheesehead
12-29-2011, 06:54 AM
I keep trying to get Mike to set it up on one of the Kentucky meets. So far a no go; wimp.

Well, I guess we could always just do an inpromptu one in the parking lot behind the Hampton...:uzi:

;) -----> :D

3CzSCrewHead*
12-29-2011, 07:51 AM
niCe man yup the Gulf Cartel has a large selection to chose from!

Spectragod
12-29-2011, 09:44 AM
AR10's are fun to shoot, I wanted something a little more compact, I picked up one of these.....

http://www.impactguns.com/socom-cqb-enchanced-rifle-system-flat-dark-earth-4-mags-eotech-scope-socom-21.aspx

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=1114

Mine is all black, I wanted something that would blend in a little more.:D

ckadiddle
12-29-2011, 10:05 AM
What a lovely gift for your wife. :)

BODYMAN
12-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Knob Creek,KY look it up on you tube its the largest you name it gun show/ & everything in between. From the video a friend Brought back last year Looks like the craziest gathering Ive ever seen. He had one video it must have had every fully auto firearm you could imagine(hundreds) all with Tracers just going ballistic into the night. Ah if the Taliban came across all them crazy White boys Id say they would run the other way, Google it Cant remember what the #'s of attendees were but it is massive every year, & they say it just keeps getting bigger & bigger each year.

CBT
01-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Home home on the raaaaaaange!

Amy sporting the ArmaLite AR10 .308 and Bushmaster .223

Destroyed a few targets that day! The others weren't as much fun to draw on so they went in the trash afterwards. These were the first two targets we used to let Amy break in her rifle.
Good times! :beer:

guspech750
01-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Home home on the raaaaaaange!

Amy sporting the ArmaLite AR10 .308 and Bushmaster .223

Destroyed a few targets that day! The others weren't as much fun to draw on so they went in the trash afterwards. These were the first two targets we used to let Amy break in her rifle.
Good times! :beer:

So full of WIN every which way!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone

kernie
01-27-2012, 05:28 AM
What a lovely gift for your wife. :)

The gun that can do headshots 1\2 mile away or the pots and pans? :D.

What a combo, lol.

:beer:

CBT
03-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Got Amy the guncase she wanted Thursday. Now she will look all cutsie wootsie when The Walking Dead goes real time. So of course, we had to go to the range yesterday. I remembered the sights were still set for the outdoor range after a few targets were already destroyed, adjusted the sights, dude will need to get new sunglasses. Not bad for 75 feet away all freestanding, no bench yesterday. Blasted off a box of .45 also. Zombie targets were 30 feet out with .45 except for when I sent it 75 down and yelled "I hate pepperoni pizza!" and just shot for the pizza. Didn't go to well since I was laughing so hard.
Went ahead and got a household range membership, 100 bucks for a year. No time limits now and a couple other perks. Then went for lunch at Chili's smellin like gunpowder. Good times!

finster101
03-25-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm guessing the 10 doesn't kick too bad. One question though. Why do your targets have the Lizzy Borden look alike on them?

1 Bad Merc
03-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Nice Casey!

CBT
03-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm guessing the 10 doesn't kick too bad. One question though. Why do your targets have the Lizzy Borden look alike on them?

Correct, it actually does not have a bad kick. Nowhere near a 12 gage would be a good comparison. The only reason we put a butt bumper on it is because, laugh if you want, Amy's bra strap was leaving scratch marks. Now with the butt plate, no issues. And of course, she picked it out and it is made in the USA so she loves it that much more. Watching her shoot both, I'd have to say the .45 jumps more than the AR, but the first few shots with that thing is hilarious. People jump like they never heard a gun before. Very easy to clean, you can break it down in about 5 seconds.

Lizzy Borden, lol! You can bring your own target paper but since the indoor range we go to is on a Marine base, and they work behind the counter, I'm actually amazed they have a goofy zombie target. The Marines there ain't even trying to joke around with weapons. The rest are just standard bowling pin style targets, no fun. I like the hostage target, helps with teaching Amy to hit the intended target within a target. She only shot the woman a few times. I think in one target she only hit her twice. She hits her less and less each time, so that's good.

It was a fun day, we always have fun going. Blow off some steam, eat somewhere, go home and break out the cleaning gear. :beer:

05crownsport
03-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Sure looks like a bunch of fun! Now if you'll excuse me I have a math debate to get done....something about seeing all those head shots gets to me. 1+1 is...yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaa. Glad to see you guys getting some shooting in.:bandit:

Fosters
03-26-2012, 09:54 AM
If the need to be making headshots at 800 to 1,000 yards away ever comes up, I got that covered myself. :cool:

http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/3279/preparation-level-genius.jpg

:D

CBT
03-26-2012, 09:59 AM
NICE! :beer:

http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/3279/preparation-level-genius.jpg

:D

blackwater1311
03-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Sweeeeet!!!