PDA

View Full Version : Radiator cap blew off?

BlackOps
12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Radiator cap blew off?

Today on my way to the ford dealership I noticed smoke coming from my car in my rear view mirror. I quickly pulled over to check it out. I opened my hood to see coolant all over the engine bay. My radiator cap was missing! Don’t know if it blew off or what? Two days earlier I worked on my car and unplugged a coolant hose to get to the BCM. Thinking back I’m not sure if I secured the coolant cap all the way or not. But for the last two days my car has been running fine until today when had the coolant accident.
Anyways I was less than a half a mile from the dealership (thank god) and pulled off to purchase a new coolant cap, along with some more coolant. In the parking lot I filled the radiator with more coolant and put the new cap on. On the way back to work I noticed my temperature had risen to HOT- not all the way red line hot. So I pulled off again, to let my engine cool then headed back to work. Filled my coolant a couple more times, but my engine is still running hot. I had to leave my car at work over night in fear of not making it home. What other problems am I facing here? Figured all I would need to do is fill the coolant and It would be fine. Possible air in the lines? Water pump?

DOOM
12-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Probably need to "BURP" the system.

Blackened300a
12-29-2011, 09:18 PM
With the nose of the car slightly inclined and the engine cold, open the plug on the crossover tube and make sure that its completely full of coolant. If not then add til full and leave the plug slightly loose. Start the engine and let it warm up to operating temp. Once its warmed up and no more bubbles come from the plug you should be good to go.

RF Overlord
12-30-2011, 04:09 PM
^^^what they said^^^