PDA

View Full Version : Happy B-day Robbie Burns

Haggis
01-25-2004, 06:41 AM
This is for all you kilt wearing, Scotch drinking, haggis eating members out there. Here is a little poem by Robbie Burns:

Address to Haggis

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great Chieftan o' the Puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o' need,
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see Rustic-labour dight,
An' cut you up wi' ready slight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright
Like onie ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin, rich!

Ye Pow's wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o' fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae shinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if you wish her gratefu' pray'r,
Gie her a Haggis!

jgc61sr2002
01-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Gordon - I think you had a little too much Scotch last night. :beer: :D

usgecko
01-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Nice one Gordon - did you know the Immortal Bard was a tax collector ??

Haggis
01-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Nice one Gordon - did you know the Immortal Bard was a tax collector ??

No I did not. I always liked his poetry in English Lit. even though I could not always understand his accent.

I also like Sir Walter Scot, visited his vista in Cold Stream in the Borders when I was there two years ago. The story goes everyday he took his horse for a ride he would stop there to look at over the Borders, it even inspired some of his greatest works. Well the day of his funeral the procession went past the spot and his horse just stop in the middle of the road and would not move. After about a half hour I think the horse starts moving again, the people say it was so Sir Walter Scot could say good-bye.

Anyway back to the Thread. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROBBIE BURNS!! :beer:

RCSignals
01-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Everyone has heard Burn's works, or parts of them, and most don't even know it

woaface
01-26-2004, 08:14 AM
My mom has a "Burns Anthology" if you will. It's was added to my school ciriculum last year:)

Haggis
01-26-2004, 08:44 AM
....here is a link to a web site that has some information on Robbie Burns. These are some every nice people that Ladyhawke and I met over in Scotland. If you ever go over there try their haggis, in my opinion the best their is.

http://www.scottish-haggis.com/robertburns.htm

usgecko
01-26-2004, 08:11 PM
....here is a link to a web site that has some information on Robbie Burns. These are some every nice people that Ladyhawke and I met over in Scotland. If you ever go over there try their haggis, in my opinion the best their is.

http://www.scottish-haggis.com/robertburns.htm

As a ex-native of Scotland I feel to be fair to all using this great site that haggis is truelly a demon spawned food. Mashed up sheep in a stomach....
Pass me the Big Mac :shot:

Sorry Gordon I had to say it...............

RCSignals
01-27-2004, 12:07 AM
I dare say the best Haggis in North America is available from "The auld Scottish Larder" on East Hastings Street in Vancouver BC (actually Burnaby, but know one knows Burnaby)

Haggis
01-27-2004, 11:28 AM
I dare say the best Haggis in North America is available from "The auld Scottish Larder" on East Hastings Street in Vancouver BC (actually Burnaby, but know one knows Burnaby)

I don't get out to Vancover very much....never actually. :D Do you know if they ship to the States. If not I have been in contat with McKeans and they are working with a place in Maine to produce haggis here in the States, once they get FDA approval.

As a ex-native of Scotland I feel to be fair to all using this great site that haggis is truelly a demon spawned food. Mashed up sheep in a stomach....
Pass me the Big Mac

Sorry Gordon I had to say it...............

Yea but at least it is all natural ingredients.... :rock:

Ladyhawke tells me, but their sooo cute. I say "Looks cute, tastes great."

usgecko
01-27-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't get out to Vancover very much....never actually. :D Do you know if they ship to the States. If not I have been in contat with McKeans and they are working with a place in Maine to produce haggis here in the States, once they get FDA approval.

Yea but at least it is all natural ingredients.... :rock:

Ladyhawke tells me, but their sooo cute. I say "Looks cute, tastes great."

Hmm - ok how about instead of haggis 16 year old Lagavulin, a single malt and a much better tasting product of Scotland.

:baaa:

RCSignals
01-27-2004, 04:45 PM
You could contact them, but I'm not sure they would ship to the US. They might ship to, say TTA in Montreal, ;)

Haggis
01-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Hmm - ok how about instead of haggis 16 year old Lagavulin, a single malt and a much better tasting product of Scotland.

:baaa:

Never tried it, will get some next time I am at the store. I am partial to Glenfiddich.