PDA

View Full Version : Time to settle down

CobraSVT657
01-08-2012, 08:59 AM
I've decided to ask my girlfriend to marry me this Valentine's Day.. Only fitting since my last name is Valentine. I'll be relocation from Ohio to Florida for this to happen, yeah poor me...lol She's amazing and trying to figure out a way to propose to make it unforgettable. If you know anything you've done or heard of, I'm open to suggestions.

Wish me luck!!!

capt512
01-08-2012, 09:07 AM
You should do a Doomie and burn rubber Marry Me onto a parking lot :) Good luck!

Shaijack
01-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Don't do it at a Basketball game or football game. If she says not it would be all over the net.
This is a very joyous and personal time for you and her.
I am sure you will think of a way without these Bozo's on MM.Net messing it up for you.
Good luck and if I can think of a good way I will all to this thread.

Ms. Denmark
01-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Plan a very elegant evening out for dinner at a restaurant with a gorgeous view and a balcony or patio that can be easily accessed. Ask for the most desirable table in the place and check it out beforehand. Spare no expense. Just at sunset, ask her to take a walk outside to see the sun going down. Look deeply into her eyes. Get down on one knee and tell her you can't live without her. Ask her to be your wife and offer her the most beautiful engagement ring you can afford. If you don't know her taste in rings, get her the biggest round cut diamond (of good quality esp. clarity) in a very simple tiffany style setting that you can manage. That way she can reset the stone if she likes. She will always remember how beautiful and romantic your proposal was and that you went to great lengths to show her how much she means to you. And....she can show off her beautiful new ring, the tangible symbol of how much you love her. JMHO :cool:

IMHO I would make the evening all about the proposal and not combine it with any other activity or event. Ask her in a private setting so she can respond , or even cry, without lot's of strangers around. Make it all about HER! and don't forget to drive her in style in your immaculate Marauder!!! Best of luck to both of you!

sailsmen
01-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Ask her at your place or her place. In a pubic place you have no control over the environment.

Try to make sure the ring fits, she will want to immediately wear it.

When she says yes then take her some place special.

Spectragod
01-08-2012, 10:17 AM
I have nothing........ 20 years ago my wife & I were married, surprisingly, we are still married, I wish you nothing but the best.

Marauderman
01-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Plan a very elegant evening out for dinner at a restaurant with a gorgeous view and a balcony or patio that can be easily accessed. Ask for the most desirable table in the place and check it out beforehand. Spare no expense. Just at sunset, ask her to take a walk outside to see the sun going down. Look deeply into her eyes. Get down on one knee and tell her you can't live without her. Ask her to be your wife and offer her the most beautiful engagement ring you can afford. If you don't know her taste in rings, get her the biggest round cut diamond (of good quality esp. clarity) in a very simple tiffany style setting that you can manage. That way she can reset the stone if she likes. She will always remember how beautiful and romantic your proposal was and that you went to great lengths to show her how much she means to you. And....she can show off her beautiful new ring, the tangible symbol of how much you love her. JMHO :cool:

IMHO I would make the evening all about the proposal and not combine it with any other activity or event. Ask her in a private setting so she can respond , or even cry, without lot's of strangers around. Make it all about HER! and don't forget to drive her in style in your immaculate Marauder!!! Best of luck to both of you!

WOW^^^^^^^^^^ I must say that was well said.....and having come from a woman---and quickly I might add whcih helps a great deal--it pretty much says it all--"EXACTLY " HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE- IMHO---I compliment your style of thinking!

Go2GuyFL
01-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Where in Florida will you be proposing?

kernie
01-08-2012, 03:28 PM
This, from the 'joke of the day' sticky;

http://i51.tinypic.com/14mpzb.jpg

:D :beer:

DOOM
01-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Good luck! :beer:

Go2GuyFL
01-08-2012, 04:01 PM

Priceless! Thanks for sharing.

TFB
01-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Priceless! Thanks for sharing.

Yeah some guys have all the luck...

Papillon
01-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Personally, I think all the fancy restaurant/nice dinner thing is a little cliché. I mean it's been done so many times. Do something original that she'll never forget and if possible, make sure you have it on tape so you guys can look back on it. Definitely make it all about her/the 2 of you/the proposal but whatever you do you HAAAAAVVVVEEE to get down on one knee! Although it's been done before, that is one thing worth keeping to tradition.

As for the ring if you haven't gotten it yet, like Paula said, make sure it's top notch quality. And remember the 3 C's... Cut. Clarity. Class.

Good luck and I wish you all the best!!! Please let us know how it goes!!

Pat
01-08-2012, 04:39 PM
What Ms. Denmark said. It's a private moment so give her a chance to emotionally respond without an audience. Also, the week leading up to the "Day" should be filled with expressions of your feelings, visits, small gifts, flowers, tender moments, acts of helpfulness. You have to Woo her and she has to know it.

4drcbra
01-08-2012, 05:13 PM
take her to the track and let her make a pass. As the tree hits the second yellow ask her so you get responce she didnt think about because she is only thinking about her responce time.... only gives her about 14 secs (stock marauder assumed) to think about the question at hand

Ms. Denmark
01-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Personally, I think all the fancy restaurant/nice dinner thing is a little cliché. I mean it's been done so many times. Do something original that she'll never forget and if possible, make sure you have it on tape so you guys can look back on it. Definitely make it all about her/the 2 of you/the proposal but whatever you do you HAAAAAVVVVEEE to get down on one knee! Although it's been done before, that is one thing worth keeping to tradition.

As for the ring if you haven't gotten it yet, like Paula said, make sure it's top notch quality. And remember the 3 C's... Cut. Clarity. Class.

Good luck and I wish you all the best!!! Please let us know how it goes!! I know what you're thinking, Voula, but here's my rationale. A woman wants to look gorgeous on the occasion of a marriage proposal. Assuming this will be a surprise to her, we need to make sure she is looking her hottest. Going out on Valentines Day for a beautiful, romantic dinner, with the man she loves, would mean she'd have to dress up! She will look amazing and that is important especially as she looks back on this (hopefully) once in a lifetime moment. BTW I would not record it in any way for the same reason I would not video my wedding....it will never be as magical or seem as wonderful second hand as it will be at the time, in the moment and in your memories. ;)

MOTOWN
01-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Wow i hope everything works out for you, i like Ms Denmarks way of thinking! its all about making her feel special/at her best!

Good luck bud

BODYMAN
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Congrats.. However U decide to do it, It will leave it's own special memory's. I personally couldnt figure out the best way so I took her on vacation to Caymans & 1st night there proposed. Like others said It's more about making it specail for her & U Iam sure what ever u do will be great.

Papillon
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I know what you're thinking, Voula, but here's my rationale. A woman wants to look gorgeous on the occasion of a marriage proposal. Assuming this will be a surprise to her, we need to make sure she is looking her hottest. Going out on Valentines Day for a beautiful, romantic dinner, with the man she loves, would mean she'd have to dress up! She will look amazing and that is important especially as she looks back on this (hopefully) once in a lifetime moment. BTW I would not record it in any way for the same reason I would not video my wedding....it will never be as magical or seem as wonderful second hand as it will be at the time, in the moment and in your memories. ;)

I dunno. I guess I'd be just as happy being proposed to at home over Chinese in my sweats as much as over a fancy dinner all dolled up. As long as its done and it's done on one knee ;)

Now the vacation idea... That right there's a great idea!

Btw, I hope your girl doesn't check out this site on the low!!!:eek:

OneBADLsE
01-08-2012, 08:11 PM
The burnout idea was actually kinda cool...Just sayin!!!!

wickedmerc
01-08-2012, 08:21 PM
First and foremost....congratulations bro! It's a big move for sure and 1 that has proven very rewarding for many. Very exciting time. Best of luck to you both!!

+1 on making sure the ring is her size. She WILL want to wear it ASAP. Also +1 on the knee thing and don't forget to talk to her parents first!

Now I'm going to respectfully disagree with some opinions given thus far. I understand that much has been made about the engagement being her special day (same with wedding day). I made my engagement on 11/11/96 all about those involved....US!!!! I viewed the engagement day, engagement period, wedding day and basically every day since to be OUR time. It's your day too, a day/time to celebrate you 2 as a couple.

Bottom line....you know her best. Naturally, you want to make it as special as possible and of course your focus will be on her. Maybe she'll appreciate if you rent a tux for the night? Maybe not. Maybe she'll want a $400 dinner in the fanciest place around (on Valentine's Day no less!! Bring the extra credit card and reserve it yesterday!)? Maybe not. Limo? :dunno: Go to her likes, plan it out well in advance and have fun!

BTW I have a flower idea that got extra "Aaawwwwww"'s on the engagement recap. My Man Card forbids me from repeating publicly. PM me if interested.

Pat
01-09-2012, 05:08 AM
BTW I have a flower idea that got extra "Aaawwwwww"'s on the engagement recap. My Man Card forbids me from repeating publicly. PM me if interested. :eek:

This site is all about sharing, soooooooooooo................. :lol:

SID210SA
01-09-2012, 05:57 AM
I put a ring on it once.....at 30,000 ft. We were on our way to visit her parents in Minot, ND. I popped the question on the airplane ride.....the guy that was sitting next to us bought us a bottle of wine and then moved to another seat to let us have the isle to ourselves.....but no mile high club....lol. Never made it down the wedding isle, and glad I didnt with her.....cause Rosa is the one for me!! So now I have to find another creative way to do it.

CBT
01-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Ask her at your place or her place. In a pubic place you have no control over the environment.

Try to make sure the ring fits, she will want to immediately wear it.

When she says yes then take her some place special.

Like the kitchen?

Papillon
01-09-2012, 07:11 AM
First and foremost....congratulations bro! It's a big move for sure and 1 that has proven very rewarding for many. Very exciting time. Best of luck to you both!!

+1 on making sure the ring is her size. She WILL want to wear it ASAP. Also +1 on the knee thing and don't forget to talk to her parents first!

Now I'm going to respectfully disagree with some opinions given thus far. I understand that much has been made about the engagement being her special day (same with wedding day). I made my engagement on 11/11/96 all about those involved....US!!!! I viewed the engagement day, engagement period, wedding day and basically every day since to be OUR time. It's your day too, a day/time to celebrate you 2 as a couple.

Bottom line....you know her best. Naturally, you want to make it as special as possible and of course your focus will be on her. Maybe she'll appreciate if you rent a tux for the night? Maybe not. Maybe she'll want a $400 dinner in the fanciest place around (on Valentine's Day no less!! Bring the extra credit card and reserve it yesterday!)? Maybe not. Limo? :dunno: Go to her likes, plan it out well in advance and have fun!

BTW I have a flower idea that got extra "Aaawwwwww"'s on the engagement recap. My Man Card forbids me from repeating publicly. PM me if interested.

^^^^^^ Best advise thus far! :bows: You know your girl best. Go with what you think she and you will both enjoy.

And Doug, PM on the way. I wanna know that AWWW FACTOR! :D

guspech750
01-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Honestly. You can do all the cute and romantic stuff all day long and it becomes a distant memory. Do something original and funny.

Maybe walk into the room naked with your hoha inside a box with the ring inside the box too. When she opens it. It's double win!! Now that's a funny memory to tell your parents, inlaws and future kids!!

Or romantic dinner blah blah blah. Yada yada yada. :D

I actually just tied nice red ribben/bow around our dogs neck with the ring hanging from it. When we were watching TV, I called our dog Domingo in and he jumped up on the sofa to give her the ring and I simply asked her if she wanted to spend her life with me. 11 years later and going strong!!

Simple, memorable and unique.
---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Ms. Denmark
01-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Honestly. You can do all the cute and romantic stuff all day long and it becomes a distant memory. Do something original and funny.

Maybe walk into the room naked with your hoha inside a box with the ring inside the box too. When she opens it. It's double win!! Now that's a funny memory to tell your parents, inlaws and future kids!!

I actually just tied nice red ribben/bow around our dogs neck with the ring hanging from it. When we were watching TV, I called our dog Domingo in and he jumped up on the sofa to give her the ring and I simply asked her if she wanted to spend her life with me. 11 years later and going strong!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!! Yeah, but you're a guy and guys sometimes don't get what may seem oh so much fun and special to you is not always oh so much fun and special...:cool: ;)

mrjones
01-09-2012, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=CobraSVT657;1132249]I've decided to ask my girlfriend to marry me this Valentine's Day.. Only fitting since my last name is Valentine.

Pretty good and congratulations for taking the next big step. Since my last name is Jones, and my wife's maiden name is Valentine, I thought about taking her last name when we got married. I coulda been Michael Ray Valentine! One of her brothers got married on Feb 14 too.

knine
01-09-2012, 04:18 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhh, welcome to my life. Can someone edit this to include "Driving my BLUE Marauder or BLUE Raptor"?

Oh, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken
01-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I dunno. I guess I'd be just as happy being proposed to at home over Chinese in my sweats as much as over a fancy dinner all dolled up. As long as its done and it's done on one knee ;)

Now the vacation idea... That right there's a great idea!

Btw, I hope your girl doesn't check out this site on the low!!!:eek:Hmmmm, Paul has been silent in this post.... Just sayin :D

massacre
01-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I just typed out my proposal story but after reading it I felt it was kinda corny so forget that..lmao.

Basically like was said, you know her best. I know you want to make it special but make it special to her. Romantic doesn't always mean a fancy dinner and all that stuff. To some women it does, and to some women it doesn't.
If she likes a certain place, or a story she told you when you guys first met, something special that happened to you guys, etc. that will have a special meaning and will go a long way.
The diamond? All women love diamonds so you should be good there lol.

BTW Congratulations and best wishes to you.

Blackened300a
01-10-2012, 05:22 AM
Hmmmm, Paul has been silent in this post.... Just sayin :D

I don't feel like putting myself in a business contract where if it don't work out, I have to hand over half my personal belongings along with future earnings. Thank lawyers for ruining the institution of marriage.
1 out 10 marriages fail. If you had those same odd's that 1 out of 10 parachutes open, would you still wanna jump out of a plane?

Good luck sir.

Papillon
01-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Hmmmm, Paul has been silent in this post.... Just sayin :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't feel like putting myself in a business contract where if it don't work out, I have to hand over half my personal belongings along with future earnings. Thank lawyers for ruining the institution of marriage.
1 out 10 marriages fail. If you had those same odd's that 1 out of 10 parachutes open, would you still wanna jump out of a plane?

Good luck sir.

Marriage is not for everyone & I think the odds are greater than 1/10 but never the less, there ARE marriages that work and work WELL! As long as there's trust, love and good communication, hopefully everything else can be worked out.

CBT
01-10-2012, 07:34 AM

Good luck sir.

Tandem jump with the one you love! Then if the chute doesn't open, no one gets half your stuff. Win-win! Well, sort of. :beer:

HammerDown
01-10-2012, 07:37 AM

---
- Sent from my iPhone

That is the best story! Totally memorable!! Love it!!!

Mr. "Fordfrk" and I aren't the dinner/flowers kind of couple, either, and we are heading for #28 this year!! MV 7 was our 25th anniversary present to each other--great memories for us!!

Congratulations, CobraSVT657--you will figure out the best way for it to happen!!

Haggis
01-10-2012, 07:45 AM

Heather: 'Casey, it's for you.'

massacre
01-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Heather: 'Casey, it's for you.'

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::up: :beer:

Mercguy04
01-10-2012, 08:23 AM
I like Paula's Idea. It is fun, romantic, personal, and, just a great idea.
Nice thinking Paula.

As for the guy with the dog,,,,,, did she think the dog was proposing?
You know you set your self up for that one.
I bet the dog gave her a lick on her face. Just kidding, it was a good idea as well.
Try going to a nude beach, I have no idea where to hide the ring, particularly if it
is an small box. Both my wife and I are nudest. The ring was under my arm, almost lost it a couple of times. It was beautiful. LOVE IS IN THE AIR. That is all that counts.
The very best to both of you. I am still married to the same women after 21 Years.
And we still have fun on the beach. Europe is the best place for beaches. No one knows
you, except the people you meet there.
Love
Russell

Ken
01-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Good luck sir.Debbie and I agree with you. Been there, done that. Have only half my stuff to show for it.

Ms. Denmark
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Debbie and I agree with you. Been there, done that. Have only half my stuff to show for it.

It's truly not the right thing for everyone, especially if there is little faith that the relationship will stand the test of time or prior circumstances have been so unpleasant that a second go round is repugnant. I feel so lucky that I found someone who enriches my life, encourages me to reach for the stars and has my back if I fall. I couldn't imagine life without him.

Blackened300a
01-10-2012, 04:23 PM
It's truly not the right thing for everyone, especially if there is little faith that the relationship will stand the test of time or prior circumstances have been so unpleasant that a second go round is repugnant. I feel so lucky that I found someone who enriches my life, encourages me to reach for the stars and has my back if I fall. I couldn't imagine life without him.

I have faith that my relationship will stand the test of time. I just don't need the state of NY to issue me a piece of paper that says we have to make this relationship work or there are serious financial consequences should it fail.
Also most married people let themselves go. Everyone of my friends and their wives packed on another 40lbs since getting married. There is also that safety net of being in a binding contract that keeps people in a unhappy relationship a lot longer then they should. When your unmarried, that option of walking out of the relationship is always there and it keeps you working to keep the person impressed and happy.
I'm in a great relationship and very happy. If that day should come that we are tired of each other or things reach a point that they can't be worked out, we can go our separate ways and be happy with who we would rather be with and not have to worry about going to court to split up our assets, or take on a employee that has to be paid monthly just cause we spent X amount of years with them.
Some will agree, some won't if we were married you would have to deal with my way of thinking, since we are not married you can go out and find someone out there that will agree with you.
SEE HOW EASY THAT WORKS??

guspech750
01-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I have faith that my relationship will stand the test of time. I just don't need the state of NY to issue me a piece of paper that says we have to make this relationship work or there are serious financial consequences should it fail.
Also most married people let themselves go. Everyone of my friends and their wives packed on another 40lbs since getting married. There is also that safety net of being in a binding contract that keeps people in a unhappy relationship a lot longer then they should. When your unmarried, that option of walking out of the relationship is always there and it keeps you working to keep the person impressed and happy.
I'm in a great relationship and very happy. If that day should come that we are tired of each other or things reach a point that they can't be worked out, we can go our separate ways and be happy with who we would rather be with and not have to worry about going to court to split up our assets, or take on a employee that has to be paid monthly just cause we spent X amount of years with them.
Some will agree, some won't if we were married you would have to deal with my way of thinking, since we are not married you can go out and find someone out there that will agree with you.
SEE HOW EASY THAT WORKS??

I only gained 30 pounds. I write that off to her BS though. Not my joy of eating good foods ;)

Funny. I thought those same ideas for a LONG time. Look where it got me. Happily married:)

---
- Sent from my iPhone

Ken
01-11-2012, 06:38 AM
SEE HOW EASY THAT WORKS??:beer: Well said Paul! Not against the relationship, just the piece of paper.

Not saying that it was all the other persons fault either. I'm not perfect. Things just snowball.

I get along better now with my ex-wife than we did before we divorced...

because her, along with my girls and the rest of my stuff/money live a mile away.

Ms. Denmark
01-11-2012, 06:48 AM
LOL Nothing wrong with a couple of confirmed batchelors! :D

CBT
01-11-2012, 07:10 AM
:beer: Well said Paul! Not against the relationship, just the piece of paper.

Not saying that it was all the other persons fault either. I'm not perfect. Things just snowball.

I get along better now with my ex-wife than we did before we divorced...

because her, along with my girls and the rest of my stuff/money live a mile away.

Ain't no way in hell I could live that close to my ex-wife.

Haggis
01-11-2012, 07:47 AM

Who's that?

breeze
01-11-2012, 03:18 PM

Couldn't have imagined it any better Ms. D!

Cobra25
01-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Just a idea, Something different, How about a Helicopter Ride 15000 feet up over the City Of Miami then pop the question .