PDA

View Full Version : TPMS Question

Mr. Man
01-09-2012, 12:12 AM
I had a TPMS sensor go bad on the Titan and removed it from the tire. Now I have the idiot light on constantly. I wanted to know if the sensors need to be under pressure to work or could I just get four like programed sensors and put them in the glove box and the idiot light would remain off. I really hate all the nanny crap that is going into cars,
So far no one on the Titan sites has figured out how to override the TPMS system, unless you pull the bulb and that's pulling the dash so that's out.:)

FordNut
01-09-2012, 03:41 AM
They do have to be under pressure, and it has to be within certain limits, and all 4 have to be within a specified tolerance of each other. The silly things have a battery in them and it's not replaceable, so they WILL fail at some point.

finster101
01-09-2012, 03:51 AM
Cheapest and easiest thing is simply replace the bad one. I have heard of people building a tube from PVC pipe and installing the sensors in it. Should hold 30 psi without a problem and keep the light off. Thank the Feds for TPM systems.

Spectragod
01-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Cheapest and easiest thing is simply replace the bad one. I have heard of people building a tube from PVC pipe and installing the sensors in it. Should hold 30 psi without a problem and keep the light off. Thank the Feds for TPM systems.

While the feds may have made it into a law, thank the countless retards that were too stupid to check their own air pressure, causing traffic crashes and killing people, all because they were either lazy or lacking any kind of knowledge to check things like tire pressure etc..

Mr. Man
01-09-2012, 11:30 AM
They do have to be under pressure, and it has to be within certain limits, and all 4 have to be within a specified tolerance of each other. The silly things have a battery in them and it's not replaceable, so they WILL fail at some point.
Thanks, I had a feeling they needed to be under pressure to work. :)

EMAS
01-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Why buy a sensor and "leave it in the glove box" when you can put it in the tire and actually have it do it's job.

To save some bucks check E bay for used and Napa has aftermarket ones available for many vehicles. That's where I got a set for the snow tires and wheels for my wife's Mountaineer. Don't know if they have ones that will work for your Titan or not but worth a try.

The car will need to be programed to that sensor, which usually means reprogramming it to all the sensors.

finster101
01-09-2012, 05:23 PM
While the feds may have made it into a law, thank the countless retards that were too stupid to check their own air pressure, causing traffic crashes and killing people, all because they were either lazy or lacking any kind of knowledge to check things like tire pressure etc..

No...thank the demise of full service gas stations. Worked in one and owned one for many years. The whole car ownership thing is different now. For most people it's an appliance. No sense of pride in ownership.