PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta - Where to stay?

Green96
01-12-2012, 08:28 PM
I am going to Atlanta at the beginning on August. What are the areas to stay? I know it is a long time from now, but I need to get my travel booked early. The kids and I will be hanging out by ourselves while my wife goes to some meetings, so family friendly entertainment suggestions are also welcome.

PonyUP
01-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Well in the heart of Downtown there is the World of Coke, right next door is the Georgia Aquarium.

The Cyclorama is pretty cool if you like civil war.

Your about 20 minutes away from six flags.
Where is your wife's meeting, and I can recommend some hotels near there

Pony seal of Approval

GAMike
01-12-2012, 08:45 PM
What Brad said;) You don't want to be too far from your wife meetings in terms of a hotel, just because traffice here is so bad......

You can leave later on and avoid traffic, she may not have that option.
Let us know:cool4:

Shaijack
01-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I find the best place to stay is OUT of Atlanta. This message is approved by ME.
Stay at PonyUps place. Bring Capt. Morgan.
I am kidding. Have fun and be real careful.

Gryphonzus
01-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Pony Up is not joking on the rush hour traffic. I am originally from Indianapolis, In and rush hour there is a joke compared to Atlanta. You could stay in the same spot on a five lane Highway for 20 to 30 minutes. It is also very hot in August. Have fun!!

bigmerc'03
01-12-2012, 09:32 PM
marietta or smyrna is a real popular area hell any place in cobb county and if want to go in atlanta its on about 15 min away and the airport is about 20 min away

Comin' in Hot
01-12-2012, 09:48 PM
I've stayed at the hyatt a couple of times, it always nice

martyo
01-13-2012, 04:34 AM
What is your budget?

boatmangc
01-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Priceline Baby!!!
I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead for $35
And the J W Marriott for $55
Name your own price. Just keep trying, you have lots of time!

SC Cheesehead
01-13-2012, 05:18 AM
I find the best place to stay is OUT of Atlanta. This message is approved by ME.
Stay at PonyUps place. Bring Capt. Morgan.
I am kidding. Have fun and be real careful.

Staying at Brad's place?

Tilted Kilt for dinner... ;)

Atlanta traffic sucks, for sure. The further north you go out of the city, the better.

Depending on your wife's meeting venues, may want to consider staying in an outlying area and using the MARTA for communting.

Marauder_Santa
01-13-2012, 11:21 AM
And if you happen to be in town the 3rd Saturday of the month - stop by the Southern Marauders breakfast in Marietta.

Green96
01-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Her meetings are at the Congress Center. If I stay in the downtown area I would like to keep it to $150/night or less. I can use my companies negotiated rate for personal use, but most of the good rates are out around the outer loop. I was afraid the morning drive would be bad, sounds like it is. Thanks for the input guys.

PonyUP
01-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Her meetings are at the Congress Center. If I stay in the downtown area I would like to keep it to $150/night or less. I can use my companies negotiated rate for personal use, but most of the good rates are out around the outer loop. I was afraid the morning drive would be bad, sounds like it is. Thanks for the input guys.

The morning drive from the perimeter into downtown will be terrible on any work day. You might be able to get some decent rates at the Omni, W Downtown, or the Embassy Suites. All are right at the congress center and if there isn't much going on in the city by way of conventions, Priceline can help you on the rates.

Couple of other Hotels not too far away are the Hilton Atlanta and the Westin Peachtree

Pony seal of Approval

Green96
01-14-2012, 09:11 AM
We may stay downtown during her event and then move a little further out to save some money after it is over.

martyo
01-14-2012, 09:20 AM
The morning traffic is not as bad as everyone says but then again, I am from NY so we are used to traffic and people don't drive with phones plastered to their ears while applying their make up or shaving like they do here in Georgia. :D

Spectragod
01-14-2012, 10:11 AM
The morning traffic is not as bad as everyone says but then again, I am from NY so we are used to traffic and people don't drive with phones plastered to their ears while applying their make up or shaving, or reading the paper, while in a downpour or a snowstorm like they do here in Georgia. :D

I fixed it for you, saw some of this last weekend...........

martyo
01-14-2012, 10:51 AM
I fixed it for you, saw some of this last weekend...........

I was just trying to giove exmaples. There is not enough bandwidth to explain what goes on behind the wheel down here, especially in rush hour!!!!

PonyUP
01-14-2012, 11:16 AM
I was just trying to giove exmaples. There is not enough bandwidth to explain what goes on behind the wheel down here, especially in rush hour!!!!

That is the best description of Atlanta traffic if heard. It's not the volume, it's the insane crap they do behind wheel that causes accidents which screws up traffic

Pony seal of Approval

martyo
01-14-2012, 03:56 PM
That is the best description of Atlanta traffic if heard. It's not the volume, it's the insane crap they do behind wheel that causes accidents which screws up traffic

Pony seal of Approval

The number of clear weather wrecks is phenomenal!!!!!