PDA

View Full Version : Do The Falcons Need More Marauders?

GAMike
01-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Saw this article in the Atlanta Journal-- I say YES :)

Character guys vs. Football Marauders

5:00 am January 20, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/files/2011/11/Ndamukong-Suh-300x199.jpg Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh (90) celebrates his touchdown after a fumble-recovery during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game against the Washington Redskins at Ford Field in Detroit, Sunday, Oct. 31, 2010. (AP Photo)

The “Aubibles” section in Pro Football Weekly is a must read.
The quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
One of the Falcons’ issues is how much to weigh “character” into the evaluations in their quest for more “battling” souls. I’ve had trouble coming up with the “proper” name for these type of players, but I think I’ve found my word.
It’s “Marauders!” The Falcons need more of them.
To “maraud” means “to rove and raid in search of plunder” or “to raid or pillage for spoils.”
In this case, the “Football Marauders” would plunder the opposition’s backfield in search of the football and/or the quarterback.
“Someone” around the league believes the Detroit Lions, who were the No. 6 seed behind the Falcons for the NFC playoffs this year, cut some corners along the way in their rebirth and stopped just short of contending that the turnaround will be short-lived in the Jan. 15 issue.

“ When (Lions RB) Jahvid Best was coming out, we would not have drafted him. Concussions were an issue in college. The Lions have taken a lot of chances on guys like him. Mikel Leshoure never played this year. Titus Young was a loose cannon. Nick Fairley and Ndamukong Suh are talented, yes, but if you build your team around ‘issue’ guys like that – it’s not the way I would do it. Maybe it will for them. They’ve come a long way in three years.”
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/files/2011/12/Abraham-on-Blaine-300x232.jpg Jaguars QB Blaine Gabbert (11) has been sacked 4th-most in the NFL this season. Jason Getz / jgetz@ajc.com

Also, with the departure of offensive line coach Paul Boudreau, the Falcons appear ready to revamp the line.
Here’s another gem from PFW’s ”Aubiles” column that might help to explain why change is needed along the line:

“A lot of offenses have become spread, horizontal passing games with quarterbacks who can spit it quickly and offensive-linemen who can shield and get in the way. It has put more of a premium on athletic offensive linemen. O-linemen have been getting bigger and bigger when they come into the league. I think you’re going to see a trend going the other way — with feet and athletic ability being the most dominant traits sought in (offensive linemen).”

PonyUP
01-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I know of some guys that could certainly drive their MArauder cars out on the field to go with the theme :D