PDA

View Full Version : finding a rear bumper cover is insane!

PantherguyWi
01-27-2012, 02:39 AM
The good news is I finally found one but the car was in the shop for 6 weeks where do I begin... The first place we tried was called parts unlimited dot com.That was a complete dead end my body shop guy called, ordered and sat for two weeks without a reply. Then we tried j.c. Whitney's and they assured us that one was in the warehouse.Three weeks later he recieved an email saying that the part was not in stock and not availableto be ordered.finally we found a factory refurbished cover on eBay and it panned out. I guess I was lucky I didn't end up with a crown vic bumper on it but wow... What ever happed to. Ten year parts guarntee from the factory? Aside from that its sitting nesseled in the garage away from the snow... And I felt so bad for the car I popped for some of those dark chrome bumper inserts and they look amazing. All I've learned from this is I'm going to look for a spare bumper cover and drive the crown vic if I go into Illinois...Kidding!!!!!

Ms. Denmark
01-27-2012, 03:25 AM
This is a real issue of concern now. I drove my car for 8 years without any accidents/incidents and then a deer collided with my Marauder. One of my first thoughts was for my front bumper. I was so relieved that it wasn't damaged.

tbone
01-27-2012, 04:24 AM
This is a real issue of concern now. I drove my car for 8 years without any accidents/incidents and then a deer collided with my Marauder. One of my first thoughts was for my front bumper. I was so relieved that it wasn't damaged.

The front bumper covers are available aftermarket. I would think that eventually the aftermarket will pick up the rear bumper as well.

Bruce Wayne
01-27-2012, 08:38 AM
The bumper covers were made by Magna corp. in Guelph Ont. I have a contact person that Ford used to place the orders for these parts. If we can rally enough interest, I am wondering if we can perhaps get them to make another run of these bumpers, It looks like a lot of Marauder owners are in need, or will be in need of these, I know mine has got a crack developing, and I bet there are a lot out there, that are either sagging or cracking at the top where the bend is. I hope I don't have to look at our cars with cv bumpers on them. I was told that the CV bumpers and the MM bumpers were made of two different materials also, with our covers made of a material that wasn't as durable as the ones on the crown vic's. This info came from a production supervisor at Magna. What do you Marauder lovers think?

CBT
01-27-2012, 08:42 AM
The bumper covers were made by Magna corp. in Guelph Ont. I have a contact person that Ford used to place the orders for these parts. If we can rally enough interest, I am wondering if we can perhaps get them to make another run of these bumpers, It looks like a lot of Marauder owners are in need, or will be in need of these, I know mine has got a crack developing, and I bet there are a lot out there, that are either sagging or cracking at the top where the bend is. I hope I don't have to look at our cars with cv bumpers on them. I was told that the CV bumpers and the MM bumpers were made of two different materials also, with our covers made of a material that wasn't as durable as the ones on the crown vic's. This info came from a production supervisor at Magna. What do you Marauder lovers think?

I think have you made the call yet is what I think! :beer:

Bruce Wayne
01-27-2012, 08:48 AM
I haven`t moved on this yet, I was wondering the best way to approach this, a petition, or a bombardment of e-mails from the Marauder community, It`s criminal that we can`t get the parts we need already!

CBT
01-27-2012, 08:51 AM
I haven`t moved on this yet, I was wondering the best way to approach this, a petition, or a bombardment of e-mails from the Marauder community, It`s criminal that we can`t get the parts we need already!

I'm all for both ideas :banana:
You need help? Heck I will call and ask, doesn't bother me.

Shaijack
01-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Bruce Wayne I would be interested in a few sets of spares.

Ms. Denmark
01-27-2012, 11:37 AM
The front bumper covers are available aftermarket. I would think that eventually the aftermarket will pick up the rear bumper as well.
I have heard that fit and finish isn't perfect. Maybe someone has first hand experience?

J-MAN
01-27-2012, 11:38 AM
It would be best if FORD would jump in on this. They have the leverage with their suppliers. I doubt anything else would work.

FordNut
01-28-2012, 07:27 PM
The aftermarket fronts fit perfectly. I have used two of them on the wife's car.

Aftermarket rears were available for a short time, but FoMoCo made the copycat quit making them because of the patent on the MARAUDER lettering. I got one of them (once again for the wife's car) and it fit just fine. I suspect chances are slim for getting aftermarket rears again due to the threat of litigation.

Blackmobile
01-28-2012, 07:57 PM
I have heard that fit and finish isn't perfect. Maybe someone has first hand experience?

You heard correctly, had a guy come to the Towers shop with one on a CV and of course we could see the cosmetic differences, but they do fit.

marauder21
01-29-2012, 01:02 AM
I know two owners that need to find a rear bumper cover..its ridiculous how hard it is to find..anyone know where I could at least find one? And YES!!! I totally agree on this petition thing heck I don't need a rear bumper but I wouldn't want to look like a madman when in case I do need one.

stevengerard
01-29-2012, 07:58 AM
keep looking, I have found them online. They mostly will show up in the larger cities, seems to always be around Detroit or Chicago though.

By the way - these don't seem to be too hard to fix. My original bumper cover was "fixed" at the factory, it looked a bit odd when I bought the car and the dealer had the body-shop look at it. It was fixed before they got it - I wonder if they knew that before hand?

stryker
01-29-2012, 08:32 AM
If finding a Cover bumper is insane, more insane and crazy is the prices an real example here in P.R. the most insane,crazy and Bizarre prices are here let's begin.

:shake: Marauder frnt Bumper cover $1700.00

:eek: Marauder 5 spoke rims (without tires) $2700.00 each (if you buy direct to Lincoln/Mercury)

:bs:Ford Crown Victoria Bumper covers Frnt $ 550.00, rear $ 400.00

:depress: Crownvictoria Police Interceptor front Springs code NN/NUL $ 640.00 each

:lol: Remote/transmiter for Marauder/Grand Marquis $ 190.00 each.

these prices do not include tax.

:loco: :down: :uzi:

Billy
01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
You heard correctly, had a guy come to the Towers shop with one on a CV and of course we could see the cosmetic differences, but they do fit.
Is this a fact? I've been told time and time again that the bumpers are not interchangeable due to the fact that the cars do not share header panels. Do you have more info on this? If so, I'd be interested.

bolsen
02-02-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm so scared that I will need a rear bumper cover someday that I would actually hoard a couple if the opportunity was right.

Blackmobile
02-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Is this a fact? I've been told time and time again that the bumpers are not interchangeable due to the fact that the cars do not share header panels. Do you have more info on this? If so, I'd be interested.

No more information other than we have seen it. There was a small gap between the bumper and headlights, but only a Marauder owner would notice that. And yes it did have the fog lights, and the honey comb grill.

bolsen
02-02-2012, 09:40 AM
That gap exists on the stock cover as well. Are you saying that it's larger on the aftermarket ccover?

NXSBOB
02-02-2012, 09:51 AM
The good news is I finally found one but the car was in the shop for 6 weeks where do I begin... The first place we tried was called parts unlimited dot com.That was a complete dead end my body shop guy called, ordered and sat for two weeks without a reply. Then we tried j.c. Whitney's and they assured us that one was in the warehouse.Three weeks later he recieved an email saying that the part was not in stock and not availableto be ordered.finally we found a factory refurbished cover on eBay and it panned out. I guess I was lucky I didn't end up with a crown vic bumper on it but wow... What ever happed to. Ten year parts guarntee from the factory? Aside from that its sitting nesseled in the garage away from the snow... And I felt so bad for the car I popped for some of those dark chrome bumper inserts and they look amazing. All I've learned from this is I'm going to look for a spare bumper cover and drive the crown vic if I go into Illinois...Kidding!!!!!
Only on hard (mechanical) parts.

88LTDCV351
02-02-2012, 09:54 AM
When I heard on here the new original stock front bumper cover was in low supply, I was lazy and was too late to snatch one in time. Now that they are gone, I should have gotten an extra new original front cover too. I'm kicking myself on that one.

So far a win on the extra rear. Two strikes on the front cover and the driver seat cushion cover. You really got to jump on these things before its too late apparently.

Third strike and I'm out I guess. jk

Blackmobile
02-02-2012, 09:57 AM
on the marauder bumper their is a small deviation (under the head lights)on the bumper cover that creates a gap. On the stock CV bumper it goes straight across with no deviation under the head lights. Or maybe the fact I'm referencing a 2000 CV compared to a 2003 is the variance I see. But it will fit

Billy
02-02-2012, 12:21 PM
on the marauder bumper their is a small deviation (under the head lights)on the bumper cover that creates a gap. On the stock CV bumper it goes straight across with no deviation under the head lights. Or maybe the fact I'm referencing a 2000 CV compared to a 2003 is the variance I see. But it will fit

2000 and 2003 have identical front ends, but I believe that marauder/gmq headlights and corner markers are about half an inch taller than the crown vic ones. This leads to a really awkward and ugly looking gap when somebody tries to install the sidemarkers in a crown vic. I believe that the headlights won't fit in the crown vic due to the header panel being different.
Here's an example:
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/569157/fullsize/102_2088.jpg

Anyway, I'm still interested in the idea of a Marauder bumper going on a crown vic. I've never seen it done before. Some time this summer I'll see if I can test fit a Grand Marquis bumper to see how it fits, then I'll go from there.

BODYMAN
02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
The aftermarket fronts fit perfectly. I have used two of them on the wife's car.

Aftermarket rears were available for a short time, but FoMoCo made the copycat quit making them because of the patent on the MARAUDER lettering. I got one of them (once again for the wife's car) and it fit just fine. I suspect chances are slim for getting aftermarket rears again due to the threat of litigation.

Bingo Exact reason. There are or were I beleive a Fox Body Mustang aft avaible for a While but one of the letters was reversed & at least for a while got away with it. Look at how many more cars these days have a Identify of some sort w/ manufacture imprint

O's Fan Rich
02-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Good to know... makes the one in the garage in PA worth more each day!!