01-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Gave me a tingling feeling down there.

:D

Mike.

Musta been a short tingle! :P

:flamer:

Joe Walsh
01-28-2012, 12:58 PM
That is the baddest of all big block V8s!!

:bows:....The FE from Hell!!!

It didn't even sound like it was running hard at 7200 RPM!.....:eek:

Only FORD offered a SOHC V8 with big block cubes....wayyy back in 1964.

The Chrysler Hemi boys were afraid and cried to NASCAR so that the SOHC would be banned from competition.
Too bad, as it would have dominated the track more so than Chrysler's Hemi.

MrBluGruv
01-28-2012, 12:59 PM
MM2004:

I c wat u did there. ;)

Guittard22
01-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Someone put one in there mm yet ? That be a bad @@@ ride :)

SGT_MERC
01-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Musta been a short tingle! :P

:flamer:

:lol: That's some funny stuff right there.

Joe Walsh
01-28-2012, 11:05 PM
That 427 SOHC engine is 32" wide.....:eek:

Our 4V DOHC modular V8s are 30" wide.

A Boss 429 engine is also 30" wide and can easily be punched out to 550 CID and put down 800+ HP N/A.....:D

....Now.....:hmmm:..... how could one get a BOSS 550 to pass Maryland emissions inspection....?

2,4shofast
01-28-2012, 11:49 PM
Clean up on isle 2....

marauder21
01-29-2012, 12:19 AM
I literally heard every cylinder combustion...and for awhile I swear it started talking to me

massacre
01-29-2012, 01:44 AM

I noticed the same thing, and that power curve WAS NOT dropping off at all!

The Chrysler Hemi boys were afraid and cried to NASCAR so that the SOHC would be banned from competition.

Thank you for posting this. If the 427 SOHC would have been allowed it would have been game over.

Money was supposedly the factor. I always kinda called BS on that one but who knows......

Awesome video though, thanks!

So now I'm going to watch it again a a couple times
LMAO

SC Cheesehead
01-29-2012, 10:41 AM

Yup, yup, and yup.

and +1 on what Mike said, watching that video is a guaranteed chubbie... ;)

Guittard22
05-15-2012, 04:27 PM

ANY hard core proof on this ? I hate to say this my gramps would have to say the HEMI was way ahead of it's time when it hit the market back in the day. I have not seen to much information on the both big blocks side by side.

but wow this BIG BLOCK IS SEXY in the video

ImpalaSlayer
05-15-2012, 04:42 PM
ANY hard core proof on this ? I hate to say this my gramps would have to say the HEMI was way ahead of it's time when it hit the market back in the day. I have not seen to much information on the both big blocks side by side.

the hemi ahead of its time? lol! hemispherical cylinder heads were nothing new when dodge came out with the "hemi". infact they were about 60 years late.

MOTOWN
05-15-2012, 05:06 PM
That sounds sweet!

Shaijack
05-15-2012, 07:07 PM
That reminds me of my younger days when cars and cams sounded good.

IwantmyMMnow!
05-15-2012, 07:14 PM
I think I may have enjoyed reading all the comments about the video a little more than the video itself...some of them were pretty frickin' hilarious!

Joe Walsh
05-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Just watched that dyno video again and noticed that the SOHC is using the all aluminum Shelby 6 bolt main 427 block....:bows:

http://www.shelby-cars.com/Shelby_Alum_Block.htm

My brother and I slipped one of those aluminum blocks between the fenders of our 427 Cobra....heh heh heh......:D

WhatsUpDOHC
05-16-2012, 06:37 PM
I don't know about "down there" but my ears are sure tingling (turned the headphones up to "11").

Mark

SC Cheesehead
05-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Back in the day, the SOHC Ford was a superior engine to the Hemi, both in design and in power. You won't see much info due to NASCAR's ban on the engine.

LOWBUCKMM
05-16-2012, 08:13 PM
That is one of the best big blocks EVER made. It's just pure sex.

Joe Walsh
05-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Back in the day, the SOHC Ford was a superior engine to the Hemi, both in design and in power. You won't see much info due to NASCAR's ban on the engine.

Yep,

http://www.supermotors.net/articles/lfm-issue01-a2-1.php

Chrysler crybabies knew that their HEMI was about to get whupped.

Here is the last paragraph from the link:

Ford accomplished everything it set out to do with the 427 "SOHC" engine and did it in an amazing ninety days. It was years ahead of its time.
In Ford dyno testing, the "Cammer" made 616 hp at 7000 rpm and 515 lbs/ft of torque at 3800 rpm, the most power any production/race engine had ever made, then or now.
This 765-pound engine was then slapped in a '64 Galaxie NASCAR stocker and ran the fastest laps any stock car had run at Daytona to date. It easily equaled what the vaunted "Hemi" had run and still had more power to unleash. And this really tweaked (read that pissed off), the Highland Park contingent because they couldn't be competitive (read dominate), on the stock car tracks, or drag strips any more.
Through temper tantrums and threats of a complete pull out of competition by the Chrysler boys to NASCAR, the 427 "Cammer" was good ol' boy politicked out of the running,
never to turn a revolution in competition.

Too bad that FORD never stuffed that beast into a production street car!!!......:bows:

Then you could've bought something like this:

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/JoeJWalsh/IMG_0725.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/JoeJWalsh/IMG_0726.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/JoeJWalsh/IMG_0727.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/JoeJWalsh/IMG_0724.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/JoeJWalsh/IMG_0723.jpg

CBT
05-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Too bad that FORD never stuffed that beast into a production street car!!!......:bows:

Then you couldve bought something like this:

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/JoeJWalsh/IMG_0725.jpg

The amount of bad-assery contained in this combo-nation of awesome rims, classic car body, and I'm taking your lunch money motor cannot be measured on normal calculators. Just sitting in that car will cause your shirt to turn into a leather jacket. Cranking it turns your cell phone into a switch blade. Driving it will cause your ***** to grow 3 inches. In diameter. I would go on but when I tried to factor putting slicks on this car and racing it my calculator flashed the upside down numbers that spell "hello" followed by "boobs", then it exploded.

SC Cheesehead
05-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Yep,

http://www.supermotors.net/articles/lfm-issue01-a2-1.php

Chrysler crybabies knew that their HEMI was about to get whupped.

Here is the last paragraph from the link:

Ford accomplished everything it set out to do with the 427 "SOHC" engine and did it in an amazing ninety days. It was years ahead of its time.
In Ford dyno testing, the "Cammer" made 616 hp at 7000 rpm and 515 lbs/ft of torque at 3800 rpm, the most power any production/race engine had ever made, then or now.
This 765-pound engine was then slapped in a '64 Galaxie NASCAR stocker and ran the fastest laps any stock car had run at Daytona to date. It easily equaled what the vaunted "Hemi" had run and still had more power to unleash. And this really tweaked (read that pissed off), the Highland Park contingent because they couldn't be competitive (read dominate), on the stock car tracks, or drag strips any more.
Through temper tantrums and threats of a complete pull out of competition by the Chrysler boys to NASCAR, the 427 "Cammer" was good ol' boy politicked out of the running,
never to turn a revolution in competition.

Then you couldve bought something like this:

Tellin' it like it is! :up:

Be still, my beating heart!

That is one BAD AZZ car, Joe!

MMBLUE
05-17-2012, 08:09 AM
That is just awesomeness http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/images/smilies/imported/eek2.gif

IwantmyMMnow!
05-17-2012, 10:45 AM
The amount of bad-assery contained in this combo-nation of awesome rims, classic car body, and I'm taking your lunch money motor cannot be measured on normal calculators. Just sitting in that car will cause your shirt to turn into a leather jacket. Cranking it turns your cell phone into a switch blade. Driving it will cause your ***** to grow 3 inches. In diameter. I would go on but when I tried to factor putting slicks on this car and racing it my calculator flashed the upside down numbers that spell "hello" followed by "boobs", then it exploded.

:laugh:

You just too funny...

Joe Walsh
05-17-2012, 03:04 PM
:laugh:

You just too funny...

+1!............"bad-assery"......:rofl:

massacre
05-18-2012, 07:28 AM
It was the "upside-down calculator words" that did it for me.
I almost just fell out of my chair laughing.

BlackJack
05-18-2012, 05:46 PM
625 Ft-lbs of torque!

Joe Walsh
05-18-2012, 10:25 PM

Tellin' it like it is! :up:

Be still, my beating heart!

That is one BAD AZZ car, Joe!

That is just awesomeness [IMG]

The guy who owns that bad-azz 427 SOHC Galaxie attends the 'Holy Donut' cruise in Burtonsville, Md. on Sunday mornings.

I shot those pictures when I parked my 427 Cobra next to him.
As much as I love my 427 (wedge) FE Cobra.....I'd take that SOHC Galaxie in a heartbeat!!

That 427 SOHC sounds so nasty when he fires it up.....:bows:
It just thumps.......and ooooozes Horsepower!

All 'Rat' motors just shrivel up and crawl away when the SOHC is around.

SC Cheesehead
05-19-2012, 12:31 PM
The guy who owns that bad-azz 427 SOHC Galaxie attends the 'Holy Donut' cruise in Burtonsville, Md. on Sunday mornings.

I shot those pictures when I parked my 427 Cobra next to him.
As much as I love my 427 (wedge) FE Cobra.....I'd take that SOHC Galaxie in a heartbeat!!

That 427 SOHC sounds so nasty when he fires it up.....:bows:
It just thumps.......and ooooozes Horsepower!

All 'Rat' motors just shrivel up and crawl away when the SOHC is around.

From the pics, it looks like a '63; if so, that would be my ULTIMATE dream car.

I've always wanted a '63 1/2 Galaxie with a 406, but one with a 427; oh wow, and then to have one with an SOHC motor stuffed into it, oh man...

Smart move for the Rat motored cars... ;) ------> :D

SideshowBob
05-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Add gear drive to those cams and the sound of that thing would terrify women, small children and owners of LSX powered Marauders.