PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Car Carrier- Fla. To Va. June

Marauderman
01-28-2012, 04:42 PM
I am seeking information, links, names etc. whatever of good reliable , and responsible car carriers for my brother in Fla. He wants to have his '08 Corvette moved in June to Va. rather than driver it if the cost is not to high.

That's just it. He nor I know what is "too high". So we're checking whats out there and it will be his decision--he's the one with the money anyway.

Hope some of you can enlighten me --Please send me any references you have or know of--either here or PM --whichever makes you feel better.

Here are some I have found on the web--just surfing and seem worth checking for quotes---as an example--

www.atlascartransport.com

www.transportcompanies.com/car-haulers

www.carhaulersinc.com/

www.ableautotransport.com/

Thanks for any help you can provide- Tom

Mr. Man
01-28-2012, 05:12 PM
How about the Auto train?

Marauderman
01-28-2012, 05:18 PM
How about the Auto train?

Got any info on it?--Thanks-

Mr. Man
01-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I think the Auto train goes from Florida to D.C. area. I know a lot of snowbirds use it.:)

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245666320

RubberCtyRauder
01-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Depends on what you want to to spend..I don't really have any idea of today's costs, but trucking costs are not cheap with diesel around$3.75+ per gallon..if you want high end transport, enclosed trailers etc. Try these.

Reliable Carriers
Passport Transport
Intercity Lines
Horseless Carriage

They will all show up on google search

FL to VA should be a good traffic lane as say FL to SD for example wouldn't be as good. I bet costs would be anywhere from $750 to $1500

SilverBirch
01-28-2012, 09:59 PM
That Auto Train looks interesting. Appears to be about $200 for the car and $100 per person, so $300 total to move a car from FL to VA. Not bad if you don't want to drive.

Spectragod
01-29-2012, 03:18 AM
I know Lidio uses a company called Rulies (sp?) towing, they have a semi and enclosed trailer, they move cars for auto manufacturers, they may be able to offer you some help. They hauled my MM up to Lidio's shop on the way back up to Michigan.

FreddieH
01-29-2012, 04:46 AM
I think the Auto train goes from Florida to D.C. area. I know a lot of snowbirds use it.:)

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245666320
I used the Auto Train once, leaves Sanford Fl. (Orlando area) around 4:00 pm and arrives in Lorton Va.(DC area) about 9:00 am the next morning. Dinner and Breakfast is served cocktails at your expense. Good service. The way to go. the only thing if your car is one of the first on it will be one of the last off, it took about 2hrs. for me. but I did not complain. If you are a big guy like me the seats backs recline but the bottom stays flat, It makes it a little uncomfortable on your butt. So for the return trip I stopped at a Walmart and bought two fleese throw blankets rolled them up and put them under the front of my legs which gave the front of the seat a reclining effect which was a much improvement. I highly recommend the Auto Train.

NXSBOB
01-29-2012, 05:45 AM
If you have Ebay account, go there and find a car for sale in/near area where you want to ship from. Most sellers will have shipping rates listed to your Ebay account ZIP.:cool:

Davesvt2000
01-29-2012, 06:00 AM
+ 1 for Intercity Lines.

I've used them twice and was completely satisfied with their service.

Jay Leno uses them, and they are also a sponsor on Ferrarichat.com

martyo
01-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Tom, does he want the car to ride encklosed or is he willing to ship it open?

stevengerard
01-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Check out U ship its a reverse on-line auction.

Shipping cars is interesting, I'm trying to find one from VA to IL and its not a great route so it hasn't been easy to get someone .

A couple of things to watch out for, though your brother has lots of time.

They all say they can "Guarantee shipment in 7-10 days." Many places then farm it out and can't find anyone for odd routes so you end up waiting anyway.

The real small guys will try to make the trip worth it (completely understand) and try to time it so they can carry something both ways - that makes for a lot of uncertainty.

The high-end carriers charge so much it doesn't matter - the car will get moved

I have been quoted prices from VA to IL from 400 all the way up to 1100 so you can see the large range, most are near the low end.

Closed trailer cost more than an open trailer. The way I look at it most new cars are shipped open trailer. My MM would go open, my hardtop 442 would go open, my W30 convertible would go closed.

Marty - do you have a contact that is a value? I'm still looking too.

martyo
01-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Marty - do you have a contact that is a value? I'm still looking too.

Sure do.

For enclosed shipping I use TnT Transport. Call Mary Anno @ (800) 872-8681. Tell her you were referred by "Martin" in Georgia. She knows me well and we have worked on countless transports.

For open call McNutt Auto transport: 800-755-2324. Good pricing but they work on pricing so they are not necessarily the quickets.

Let me know if you need anything else and how you make out.

DOOM
01-30-2012, 09:45 AM
That Auto Train looks interesting. Appears to be about $200 for the car and $100 per person, so $300 total to move a car from FL to VA. Not bad if you don't want to drive.

I looked at moving a car from Va to Fla yesterday and the cost was about $800.00 ROUND TRIP. And $100.00 a person.

stevengerard
01-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks Marty, I buddy of mine hooked me up with someone local here who he has used for dozens of cars, I'll see how that goes, otherwise I'll contact your guys.

88LTDCV351
01-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Anyone mention DAS? I think my sister used to use them.

martyo
01-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks Marty, I buddy of mine hooked me up with someone local here who he has used for dozens of cars, I'll see how that goes, otherwise I'll contact your guys.

Sounds good!

DarkCloud03
01-30-2012, 04:28 PM
www.showtimetransportation.com (http://www.showtimetransportation.com/)

Marauderman
02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I want to apologize to all for replying so late after starting this thread--.......First off--Thanks to all that have replied to my question for assistance--This site is as always grate to find help and information--never ends--Gotta love it..

I have been recouping from surgery, thus the late reply.

I will put together all your replies and give my brother your best opinions----

Thanks once again my friends---Tom

Oh BTW Marty---Good thing you got that Black beauty from NJ today--Wife just said get it on way home and when I checked in here --saw you already did--Good luck--

martyo
02-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Oh BTW Marty---Good thing you got that Black beauty from NJ today--Wife just said get it on way home and when I checked in here --saw you already did--Good luck--

It is actually Blue and it is already deep in VA right now!!!!