PDA

View Full Version : Scam?

SGT_MERC
02-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Someone tried to scam me out of my Marauder money I'm saving for the future purchase. An individual asked a lot of questions about the heads I'm selling. He proceeded to tell me he sent the money via his paypal account to my paypal account. I then get an e-mail notification from paypal telling me the individual made a payment to my account with special stipulations attached. I read the stipulations and quote "I have made this payment with $600 extra to be used for the cost of wiring $500 to a different person, so that person can pick up the heads, pack them and ship the heads to his sons house, as I am working too many hours to pick them up, package them and send them myself." Thank You.
At the bottom of the paypal transaction notice of payment there is an official looking statement that tells me this is a safe transaction and I can go to a paypal site to verify by clicking on the provided paypal link. I did not click the link, I opened a new tab and logged into paypal my way and to my surprise, no funds.
If these people would put as much effort into their own countries as they put into their scams, this world would be a better place.
I had my neighbor come over and look at the payment notice and he told me it would be hard for even him to know it was fake. He uses paypal all the time.

MOTOWN
02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Total scam!

DOOM
02-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Glad you didnt fall for it!

MyBlackBeasts
02-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Someone tried to scam me out of my Marauder money I'm saving for the future purchase. An individual asked a lot of questions about the heads I'm selling. He proceeded to tell me he sent the money via his paypal account to my paypal account. I then get an e-mail notification from paypal telling me the individual made a payment to my account with special stipulations attached. I read the stipulations and quote "I have made this payment with $600 extra to be used for the cost of wiring $500 to a different person, so that person can pick up the heads, pack them and ship the heads to his sons house, as I am working too many hours to pick them up, package them and send them myself." Thank You.
At the bottom of the paypal transaction notice of payment there is an official looking statement that tells me this is a safe transaction and I can go to a paypal site to verify by clicking on the provided paypal link. I did not click the link, I opened a new tab and logged into paypal my way and to my surprise, no funds.
If these people would put as much effort into their own countries as they put into their scams, this world would be a better place.
I had my neighbor come over and look at the payment notice and he told me it would be hard for even him to know it was fake. He uses paypal all the time.

Time to fire up Sparky!!! The chair for all scammers! :mad2:
Thank goodness you were aware enough to check up on it before losing your cash!

88LTDCV351
02-06-2012, 08:17 PM
You can usually go to paypal and check out the security center. There is usually a email address to forward these links to so they can shut it down.

MrBluGruv
02-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Did you happen to post those heads for sale on craigslist?

I got the same response from 4 "different" email addresses on a mac I tried to sell locally. They send you a first email asking if the product is still available, and not being sure if they are legit buyers or not, you respond saying yes, that's the confirmation for them to send spam. It actually doesn't matter what you tell them in response to their first question, they will always say "I will have an associate pick it up for me because I'm so busy."

CL is damn near useless unless you are selling something that will DEFINITELY sell. Don't bother posting niche stuff, you'll only get spammed with crap....

massacre
02-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Glad to hear you didn't get scammed. That would have been awful.

guspech750
02-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Wow!! That's some BS there. I'm glad you were not had.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

SGT_MERC
02-06-2012, 10:28 PM
You can usually go to paypal and check out the security center. There is usually a email address to forward these links to so they can shut it down.

Thank You, I did not know that.

bolsen
02-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Yikes. That's so crappy. Did you report the person to the FBI cyber crimes division? You can and should. I'm pretty sure that's a federal crime!

screamn
02-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Good info. Thank you for posting this.

Lastly, glad you didn't get scammed. You figured something wasn't right & checked further. Good instincts!

boatmangc
02-07-2012, 03:23 AM

spoof@paypal.com
also
spamcop
submit.q7LteGhNJ7qimExf@spam.s pamcop.net

I had someone contact me from CL a few years ago about a car I was selling. the "buyer" sent a check for 5K more than asking price I was supposed to give the balance to the "driver" who was to pick up the car.
I called the bank the check was drawn on and found out the account didn't exist.
I went along with him after contacting a LEO buddy of mine.
I turned the check along with all contact info to the Sheriff's office and when the "buyer called" My detective friend took over.
I don't remember what happened exactly but I didn't get scammed.

It makes me wonder how often these scumbags are successful?

If it sounds to good to be true, most likely it is. Especially on CL from my experience.

NXSBOB
02-07-2012, 03:55 AM
[QUOTE=boatmangc;1144393]spoof@paypal.com
also
spamcop
submit.q7LteGhNJ7qimExf@spam.s pamcop.net

If a scammer contacts you from a Yahoo email address report here:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/spam.html

Shaijack
02-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Remember there is always someone that does not do their home work and gets scamed. If it did not work they would not do it.

Good job in heading it off at the pass.

SID210SA
02-07-2012, 08:51 AM
I got an email the other day from "my internet service provider" saying I had to click a link in the said email to upgrade my email as there was a virus found in one of my folders and this would get rid of it......I spammed it immediately.

martyo
02-07-2012, 08:55 AM

spoof@paypal.com

Blackened300a
02-07-2012, 09:48 AM
I still get plenty of emails saying that I have millions of dollars in a account waiting for me! I get the PayPal "verify" email with a link that puts you into a fake website. Always lookon top at the "http". Is if dont have a "https" that means its not secure and a spam site.