PDA

View Full Version : headlights , repair or replace?

4drcbra
02-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Mine are pitted and just generally beat up. Would it be worth it to attempt to buff them out or just replace them?

MyBlackBeasts
02-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Mine are pitted and just generally beat up. Would it be worth it to attempt to buff them out or just replace them?

3M headlamp restore kit $30 + 30 minutes = 99.9% like new lamps. IMO worth a try before spending $$ on new. Depends on you & your priorities - everone has differing opinions on this. I did my 97 Tbird which were frosted and when done they looked new. I was very impressed and satisfied. 3M kit had superior on-line reviews over the Meguires which is why I went with it. Good luck! :D

MrBluGruv
02-06-2012, 08:48 PM
so long as you can properly coat the finished product (to ensure that it doesn't pit again more rapidly than before), almost every result I've seen has been nothing short of awesome. If you've got the time, I think it'd be worth the saved cash for restoring them.

4drcbra
02-06-2012, 08:54 PM
They are clear still. No frost, just pitted to all hell. Guess ill talk to ye ol body man and do a orice comparison. Rather have oem restored than oriental crap

bolsen
02-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Google 2000grit sandpaper headlense restoration. It's like $10 for material and spray bottle with water.

EMAS
02-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I did the headlights on my Wife's Taurus and within 2 years they were looking crappy and providing poor performance again. So I'd go with new while you can still the the OEM ones. I just ordered a set for my Marauder from Tasca.

yjmud
02-07-2012, 05:22 AM
new ones look 1000x's better the black inside is not all faded you can still get them from ford

TFB
02-07-2012, 09:36 AM
I did the headlights on my Wife's Taurus and within 2 years they were looking crappy and providing poor performance again. So I'd go with new while you can still the the OEM ones. I just ordered a set for my Marauder from Tasca.

To be kept looking nice they should be waxed every couple of months, especially the restored units... Just a little fine rubbing compound and wax afterward will make a noticeable improvement in most any dull headlamp...