PDA

View Full Version : Question for computer geeks

mrjones
02-10-2012, 09:25 AM
I want to hook my Dish receiver to the internet in my home, but my drop for it is far away from the reciever. I have wireless in the house, but the receiver is not wireless. Is there any kind of wireless reciever that I can use to get internet into the dish reciever, kind of a wireless modem in reverse?

PonyUP
02-10-2012, 09:29 AM
I want to hook my Dish receiver to the internet in my home, but my drop for it is far away from the reciever. I have wireless in the house, but the receiver is not wireless. Is there any kind of wireless reciever that I can use to get internet into the dish reciever, kind of a wireless modem in reverse?

Had a similar thing with my Direct Tv

Best buy sells a kit you can plug into the receiver and it transmits over the power line to the wireless router. As long as they are on the same 20amp circuit, it works great. I'll see if I still have the box do I can get you the exact name. I have mine hooked in the bedroom and the router is in the office off of the Kitchen

Pony seal of Approval

babbage
02-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Best is to run a cat6 cable to the receiver.

sonnyc
02-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Dish network has a WIFI adapter for some of there models that plugs into the usb port on the reciever. This can be ordered on there website.

guspech750
02-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Good info fellas. I was just wondering about the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

SGT_MERC
02-10-2012, 12:50 PM
I love this site. Everyone is always so helpful and it seems someone always knows something about anything to at least point you in the right direction.
Just F$%^ing Awesome!!!!! :up:

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Its called SlingLink its made by the makers of SlingBox I have it and it works great. Power Line Communication. There are several others out there, netgear, belkin for example make some. Just have a clean wall outlet you are plugging the receiver and the sender to and you'll be fine.

SGT_MERC
02-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Its called SlingLink its made by the makers of SlingBox I have it and it works great. Power Line Communication. There are several others out there, netgear, belkin for example make some. Just have a clean wall outlet you are plugging the receiver and the sender to and you'll be fine.

Why do they have to be on the same circuit or am I misunderstanding?

PonyUP
02-10-2012, 01:12 PM

That's it, I have the net gear version, works awesome, I download on demand all the time, run YouTube through it and pandora, all through direct tv

Pony seal of Approval

sonnyc
02-10-2012, 02:01 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dish-Network-NetGear-Wifi-Adapter-802-11N-WNDA3100v2-/270911413612?pt=LH_DefaultDoma in_0&hash=item3f13941d6c

SGT_MERC
02-10-2012, 02:15 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dish-Network-NetGear-Wifi-Adapter-802-11N-WNDA3100v2-/270911413612?pt=LH_DefaultDoma in_0&hash=item3f13941d6c

What does sling loaded receiver mean? If I'm already hard wired into my router, does this benefit me besides freeing an up an ethernet port?

sonnyc
02-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Product Features
<LI style="MARGIN: 0px 0px 6px; FONT: 13px Verdana">Permits Dish Network VIP 722 to be a Sling Receiver <LI style="MARGIN: 0px 0px 6px; FONT: 13px Verdana">Watch live or recorded shows in High Definition on your computer's browser or mobile device anywhere you can connect to the Internet. <LI style="MARGIN: 0px 0px 6px; FONT: 13px Verdana">Just plug the Sling Adapter into a ViP 722 or ViP 722k HD DuoDVR that's connected to high-speed Internet service.
Connect your ViP 722 or 722k HD DuoDVR to high-speed Internet Service (If it's not already).
This is some of the information about a sling adaptet from Dish Network

babbage
02-10-2012, 06:57 PM
sling is for watching stuff you recorded on your home system -- when you're not at home. I guess theres no reason not to use it while still at home.. but thats overkill

It's silly to use the electric wires in your wall to do it, you already have WiFi setup just get this $60 adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122 373 It connects to your wifi then you connect this little adapter to your receiver with a short 3 foot ethernet cable and you're done.

Juice
02-11-2012, 04:06 AM
You're looking for an Access Point. There are many on Amazon, I have this particular one:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WES610N-4-Port-Dual-Band-Entertainment/dp/B0056VP0KS/ref=pd_vtp_e_1

It allows you to hook up to 4 wired devices into it, then runs on your wireless network. I have my TV, Blu-Ray player, and receiver and media computer plugged into it. Flawless.

You can always shoot me a message about networking type stuff.

Serge
02-11-2012, 12:17 PM
If you have wireless in the house then I am assuming that you have a wireless router. Best solution would be to run a new network cable to the receiver.

Second option is to get a wireless bridge.
http://www.dlink.ca/category/productcategories/?cid=14

You hook up your receiver into the bridge and bridge communicates wirelessly to your router.