PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Fluid...no, this is not a joke

RF Overlord
02-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Was at a dealer having my company-issued work van looked at. Decided to wander around the showroom and noticed a dip-stick on the side of an F350 dumptruck that said "Exhaust Fluid". My first thought was "is there a place for the blinker fluid, too?" :rolleyes: I just HAD to go ask about that...apparently it's for real...new diesels inject some sort of aqueous urea solution into the exhaust to help with emissions. Heh...I can see me now driving up to the local filling station and asking them to check the oil and the exhaust fluid... :shake:

Mr. Man
02-16-2012, 01:04 PM
There is a separate fill hole in the gas cap area for the urea. Not sure where you go to fill it up. I haven't seen a special nozzle at the gas station.

sailsmen
02-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Anyone can fill it up, urine is all it takes.

RF Overlord
02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Not sure where you go to fill it up. Dealer said it only needs filling at oil-change time...something like that. Still, I imagine at least 85% of them will run dry and stay that way because owners either will be clueless or won't want to pay whatever ludicrous price Ford charges for the stuff.

Jiffy Lube Exhaust Fluid... yeah, right... ;)

SC Cheesehead
02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Anyone can fill it up, urine is all it takes.

Beat me to it.

Heck, after a night on the town, I'd even offer bargain rates for fille-ups...;)

03blkmarauder
02-16-2012, 01:27 PM
You have to fill it based on how you drive it. The truck will cut power if there is'nt enough fluid in it.

Comin' in Hot
02-16-2012, 01:31 PM
i deal with the stuff all the time, just another product of enviromental regulations

EMAS
02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
It's been around for a couple of years now that's how almost all mfgs meet 2010 diesel emission regs. Mercedes was the first on market and if you bought it by the bottle there it was about $8/qt. Now you can buy it at Walmart for less than that per gallon. As mentioned the consumption rate is based on how you drive. If you are getting poor fuel MPG you'll be getting poor DEF (diesel emission fluid) MPG too. When the system gets low it will turn on an indicator on the dash and it will cut power significantly. Go too long in reduced power mode and the engine will shut off.

RF Overlord
02-16-2012, 02:07 PM
When the system gets low it will turn on an indicator on the dash and it will cut power significantly. Go too long in reduced power mode and the engine will shut off.Hopefully one of the "tuner" companies will offer a "DEF delete" mode in their tune. ;)

It's no wonder diesels are so scarce in America...we seem to go out of our way to make them complicated and/or expensive to own. Every other country on the planet encourages them.

Shaijack
02-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Bring a empty jug to Louisville I bet it will get filled fast. Urine and bourbon. Explosive combo.

RF Overlord
02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
I bet Brad (PonyUP) can give me a lifetime supply... :D

jon5212
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
This is on all the new diesels except for Dodge for the time being. Urea injection to remove NOX emissions. Good thing is H&S and Spartan already have delete kits :)

RF Overlord
02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
H&S and Spartan already have delete kits
Good ol' American ingenuity (or is that enginuity :D ) at its best!

SC Cheesehead
02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Bring a empty jug to Louisville I bet it will get filled fast. Urine and bourbon. Explosive combo.

Donald 'Duck' Dunn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0242551/): We had a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline.

EMAS
02-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Donald 'Duck' Dunn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0242551/): We had a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline.

Love that line!

Blackened300a
02-16-2012, 04:28 PM
They switched over to this in Class 8 trucks which is a lot better then the DFP filter they used which costs a small fortune to replace and service should a driver not regenerate the system. Most jobs around NYC now require zero emission diesels in all vehicles working on site. The retrofit for our trucks costs a little north of $10K. If they make this mandatory for all trucks in the city, we may sell all the equipment and become land lords with the property.

Siege
02-16-2012, 04:43 PM
When the system gets low it will turn on an indicator on the dash and it will cut power significantly. Go too long in reduced power mode and the engine will shut off.

I would be pissed if that happened to me. You really have to wonder how they discovered adding urine to the catalyst reduced emissions. The companies that bottle it are likely flush with profits and have enough money to take a golden shower.

Alright, I have relieved myself of puns.

:bandit:

PonyUP
02-16-2012, 05:10 PM
I bet Brad (PonyUP) can give me a lifetime supply... :D

On any given evening I can offer 10-15 fill ups

Require 16oz of fuel with coke zero additive

Pony seal of Approval

massacre
02-16-2012, 07:54 PM
It's made from cow piss. It is replacing the DPF(diesel particulate filter) system and I think this year might be the first year that it's mandatory on new vehicles. We got a couple new Peterbilt chassis this year and they have it. The Co. even bought up a bunch of new older models when they heard this was going to become mandatory.
Eventually they want to put it on ALL diesels, even off-road equipment.
Apparently they've been using it in Europe for years.

In my climate, you also have to add some type of anti-freeze to the cow piss because it gets sludgey when it's cold out.
LMAO who ever thought we'd be injecting cow piss into the exhaust of vehicles?

SC Cheesehead
02-16-2012, 08:12 PM
It's made from cow piss. It is replacing the DPF(diesel particulate filter) system and I think this year might be the first year that it's mandatory on new vehicles. We got a couple new Peterbilt chassis this year and they have it. The Co. even bought up a bunch of new older models when they heard this was going to become mandatory.
Eventually they want to put it on ALL diesels, even off-road equipment.
Apparently they've been using it in Europe for years.

In my climate, you also have to add some type of anti-freeze to the cow piss because it gets sludgey when it's cold out.
LMAO who ever thought we'd be injecting cow piss into the exhaust of vehicles?

Or for that matter, dumping friggin' corn into our gas tanks... :rolleyes:

Mr. Man
02-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Urine is in a lot of stuff. Channel #5 has Lynx wee wee in it. Now you know why your lady friends get catty at silly willy:beer:

Comin' in Hot
02-16-2012, 08:46 PM
The urea is a phase, I don't see it being used forever, Maxxforce (International Truck's engine division) doesn't use it, they are the only one. The use of urea in selective catalyst reduction (SCR) has been around for years in heavy trucks in Europe, that's why Cummins and Detroit (Mercedes) use urea, it's proven technology. I'm not sure about the new CAT trucks because their engines are a Maxxforce block with CAT heads and intake. Maxxforce uses exhaust gas recirculation(EGR). The engines are awesome, I was driving trucks with preproduction or prototype engines around the country and they have huge low end torque compared to other engines and a Maxxforce 10 350hp engine will out run a Cummins ISL 425hp from a dead stop to approximately 40mph, at least in the unoffical street light to street light testing I have been involved in:lol:

Baaad GN
02-17-2012, 12:18 AM
I heard Zack has pissXX a lot of people off so when we are in Louisville we can get him to fix all the cars, in fact we can all do a job on Mac's car to help him out! :-)

EMAS
02-17-2012, 01:33 AM
The urea is a phase, I don't see it being used forever, Maxxforce (International Truck's engine division) doesn't use it, they are the only one. The use of urea in selective catalyst reduction (SCR) has been around for years in heavy trucks in Europe, that's why Cummins and Detroit (Mercedes) use urea, it's proven technology. I'm not sure about the new CAT trucks because their engines are a Maxxforce block with CAT heads and intake. Maxxforce uses exhaust gas recirculation(EGR). The engines are awesome, I was driving trucks with preproduction or prototype engines around the country and they have huge low end torque compared to other engines and a Maxxforce 10 350hp engine will out run a Cummins ISL 425hp from a dead stop to approximately 40mph, at least in the unoffical street light to street light testing I have been involved in:lol:

Navistar will only get away with their "advanced EGR" system until they use up all the credits Ford earned for them. For every engine they produced that met 2007 emissions before Jan 1 2007 they get to make 1 engine that meets 2007 emissions regulations after Jan 1 2010. That is the real reason for the Ford/Navistar divorce. Navistar rushed the 6.0 out the door to earn those credits, most of which were earned with the Power Stroke badge, then refused/dragged their feet on paying up for the warranty work caused by their rush, then kept the credits in the divorce. So getting away without DEF is just a phase.

BirchMarauder
02-17-2012, 02:15 AM
It's synthetic. Not real cow pee.

Haggis
02-17-2012, 05:25 AM
Or for that matter, dumping friggin' corn into our gas tanks... :rolleyes:

The 'Good ol' Boys' in Nascar use to do that all the time runnin' fron the law.

SC Cheesehead
02-17-2012, 06:17 AM
The 'Good ol' Boys' in Nascar use to do that all the time runnin' fron the law.

True, that. E-100...

Haggis
02-17-2012, 06:44 AM
True, that. E-100...

Good old corn liquor.