PDA

View Full Version : Odd noise after WOT

woaface
01-30-2004, 04:01 PM
When I'm letting off from a WOT, (even BEFORE I had the SCT) a funny noise comes from the engine. Kind of sounds like my timing belt is gone, but it's in good condition, no wear or anything. After letting off from flooring it (especially if it hasn't reached second gear yet) it will make a squealing noise, like when you see an old beater, making a turn and it screams like there are nails in the cylinders, and you just want to shoot it. But this only happens if I let off the gas after really pushing it. Just started doing this the last couple of weeks.

Fourth Horseman
01-30-2004, 04:13 PM
When I'm letting off from a WOT, (even BEFORE I had the SCT) a funny noise comes from the engine. Kind of sounds like my timing belt is gone, but it's in good condition, no wear or anything. After letting off from flooring it (especially if it hasn't reached second gear yet) it will make a squealing noise, like when you see an old beater, making a turn and it screams like there are nails in the cylinders, and you just want to shoot it. But this only happens if I let off the gas after really pushing it. Just started doing this the last couple of weeks.

Our 4.6 liter engines have timing chains, don't they? Not belts? Or did you mean the accessory belt? In any event, I thought I read something about noise coming from the transmission after WOT. Something to do with pressure being released or something. I'm sure the smart ones here will be able to comment on this, but what I read was that it was nothing to worry about.

woaface
01-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Our 4.6 liter engines have timing chains, don't they? Not belts? Or did you mean the accessory belt? In any event, I thought I read something about noise coming from the transmission after WOT. Something to do with pressure being released or something. I'm sure the smart ones here will be able to comment on this, but what I read was that it was nothing to worry about.
Hmm, transmission realeasing pressure...I could believe it, but I don't wanna stick my bet on that yet. OH WAIT! I didn't get the difference at first, took me a second or a minute. Hey, yeah the accessory belt! Yeah.

Smokie
01-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Check the tensioner on your serpentine belt, make sure it is not locked in place, even if the belt is not cracked see if it is shiny and slick looking, it may be slipping.

woaface
01-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Check the tensioner on your serpentine belt, make sure it is not locked in place, even if the belt is not ed see if it is shiny and slick looking, it may be slipping.
I would do this by turning the engine on and popping the hood? Looked kinda durty to me. Serpentine belt, same as the accessory belt eh? I hope so.

SergntMac
01-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Check the tensioner on your serpentine belt, make sure it is not locked in place, even if the belt is not cracked see if it is shiny and slick looking, it may be slipping.
This is good advice, and if it doesn't get you closer to an answer, consider the front pump on the tranny releasing unused pressure. Kinda sounds like a groan on my MM. Remember that you have been toying with line pressures and shift points, the excess has to go somewhere when you pull out of the throttle, yes?

woaface
01-30-2004, 09:03 PM
This is good advice, and if it doesn't get you closer to an answer, consider the front pump on the tranny releasing unused pressure. Kinda sounds like a groan on my MM. Remember that you have been toying with line pressures and shift points, the excess has to go somewhere when you pull out of the throttle, yes?

Yes, it just might! As long as something isn't broken, or breaking, I'll be fine.

gdmjoe
01-31-2004, 11:30 AM
The noise is probably belt chirp; common in most late-model 4.6 SOHC panthers.

It's a slip of the serpentine belt at the alternator pulley ( because of the sharp angle ); check your belt for wear and replace it with a Goodyear Gatorback belt. IIRC NaPa carries them ( as well as other automotive part suppliers probably ). For a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis, the part# is 4060975

Here (http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.com/arp1/jsp/StartCarSearch.jsp;jsessionid= 0000VsNwGlKPcSQKCB636fpozpM:uu r6d6ic) for particulars.

TAF
01-31-2004, 11:32 AM
check your belt for wear and replace it with a Goodyear Gatorback belt.
I don't think this has ever been mentioned here before, but I've often wondered...

Anyone change to the Gatorback on a Marauder? Any advantages?

junehhan
01-31-2004, 11:39 PM
I believe as described earlier, that you are experiencing belt chirp. My old 00 Crown Vic did exhibit that from time to time under WOT if I let my foot off the gas right in the middle of a gear shift. That thing also nailed off pretty hard 1-2 upshifts at WOT and would chirp once in a blue moon then as well.

THE_INTERCEPTOR
02-02-2004, 06:12 AM
The noise is probably belt chirp; common in most late-model 4.6 SOHC panthers.

It's a slip of the serpentine belt at the alternator pulley ( because of the sharp angle ); check your belt for wear and replace it with a Goodyear Gatorback belt. IIRC NaPa carries them ( as well as other automotive part suppliers probably ). For a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis, the part# is 4060975

Here (http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.com/arp1/jsp/StartCarSearch.jsp;jsessionid= 0000VsNwGlKPcSQKCB636fpozpM:uu r6d6ic) for particulars.

Joe is exactly right. my 01 vic used to squeal at WOT sometimes. it IS your serpentine belt. I went to Autozone, picked up a gatorback belt for $20, and voila!

No more squealing. :up: