PDA

View Full Version : Most of You Don't Know What This Is..... Part Deux

martyo
02-22-2012, 06:33 AM
So since some of you know what an 8 track player was, who recognizes this:

Boatmangc is not allowed to play this game because he is as old as dirt and outed me for listening to Frampton and BTO!!!

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FM-CONVERTER-REALISTIC-AUTOMOTIVE-CLASSIC-ANTIQUE-BRAND-NEW-UNUSED-/00/s/MTE5N1gxNjAw/$(KGrHqN,!lEE84JS9m2vBPP)FMc-yQ~~60_12.JPG

Spectragod
02-22-2012, 06:40 AM
FM converter...... what do I win?

MOTOWN
02-22-2012, 06:43 AM

I got a paper route to buy one, but never did!:mad2:

SGT_MERC
02-22-2012, 06:46 AM
FM converter. My dad had one in his Chevy, which only had an am radio. WooHoo, what did I win!

martyo
02-22-2012, 06:53 AM

You get to listen to the one I have in my Belvedere.

I had to have it because i had one in high school and thought it was the ****nit!!!

martyo
02-22-2012, 06:53 AM
I got a paper route to buy one, but never did!:mad2:

Most of these youngsters around here don't even know what a paper route was!!!!

MOTOWN
02-22-2012, 06:55 AM

True dat!! times have surely changed:(

martyo
02-22-2012, 06:58 AM
True dat!! times have surely changed:(

I can honestly say that without my paper route, I would not be where I am today.

Damn, now I sound really old!

Marauder_Santa
02-22-2012, 07:21 AM

We could use paper routes again so we can get some of those fat ass computer connected kids out of the house once in a while and understand what it is to do some work.

My father worked for the old Long Island Press and we all had routes. Remember going door to door getting new subscriptions so you could get enough to win a prize. Usually tickets to Mets, Yankees or Rye beach playland.

martyo
02-22-2012, 07:28 AM
My father worked for the old Long Island Press and we all had routes. Remember going door to door getting new subscriptions so you could get enough to win a prize. Usually tickets to Mets, Yankees or Rye beach playland.

Holy cow, where did you grow up?????

Vortex
02-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Yeah, but after delivering the afternoon paper thats when you grabbed your box of SEEDS to sell door to door for PRIZES!

SC Cheesehead
02-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Remember when you didn't WANT FM in your car because the signal was so weak, and the only stations that were on FM were either "elevator music" or news stations?

AM ruled back in the day!

WOKY - Milwaukee
WLS - Chicago
WHNE - Detroit
KAAY - Little Rock (could pick it up on a clear night)

And who could ever forget Wolfman Jack? "As long as you got the curves baby, I got the angles." :D

martyo
02-22-2012, 07:44 AM
And who could ever forget Wolfman Jack? "As long as you got the curves baby, I got the angles." :D

LOL!!!

Anyone care to join me for a glass of Metamucil?

Comin' in Hot
02-22-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm waiting to see a radio with reverb!!!!!!

SC Cheesehead
02-22-2012, 08:12 AM
LOL!!!

Anyone care to join me for a glass of Metamucil?

Yep, that's Marty for you; just a "regular" ol' guy...

Marauder_Santa
02-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Holy cow, where did you grow up?????

Born, raised and conceived (not in that order) in Babylon LI. 1956 - 1976. (Joined the USAF in 1976) Still have a brother in Manorville LI and another near Poukeepski.

1 Bad Merc
02-22-2012, 08:19 AM
We actually have an old reverbasonic unit in my Dad's 64' Chevy-concert sound!!!!

massacre
02-22-2012, 08:44 AM
I remember these as well.
Pretty much all of my early cars had AM only. Was cheaper to go to Radio Shack and get a converter on a high-school budget.

Vortex
02-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Re 8 tracks; they were only as good as the small wooden wedge/cigarette butt you also needed to stuff in the slot so it wouldnt "double track". You know you are old when you hear a certain song and remember the point when the 8 track switched to the next track. One last thing, the first ones were Lear Jet Stereos, because I believe the guy that invented them is the same guy who made Lear Jets.

martyo
02-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Re 8 tracks; they were only as good as the small wooden wedge/cigarette butt you also needed to stuff in the slot so it wouldnt "double track". You know you are old when you hear a certain song and remember the point when the 8 track switched to the next track. One last thing, the first ones were Lear Jet Stereos, because I believe the guy that invented them is the same guy who made Lear Jets.

All of the above is TRUE!!!!

martyo
02-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Born, raised and conceived (not in that order) in Babylon LI. 1956 - 1976. (Joined the USAF in 1976) Still have a brother in Manorville LI and another near Poukeepski.

I grew up in Westchester or as the Long Island boys used to say "upstate." :P

Spectragod
02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
You get to listen to the one I have in my Belvedere.

I don't believe I would care to listen to the radio while driving that car, the motor would be good enough music.

martyo
02-22-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't believe I would care to listen to the radio while driving that car, the motor would be good enough music.

The sounds of the motor augmented by scratchy FM is pur nirvanah!

SC Cheesehead
02-22-2012, 10:55 AM

You remember that, too! :D

CBT
02-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Remember when you didn't WANT FM in your car because the signal was so weak, and the only stations that were on FM were either "elevator music" or news stations?

WOKY - Milwaukee
WLS - Chicago
WHNE - Detroit

WLS was the radio station to listen to when I was little. On T.V., it was channel 26. I used to watch Soul Train in black and white. I'm still white, but I don't know if that channel is still around.

silvermm254
02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
i got a paper route to buy one, but never did!:mad2:

a paper route is what i print out off the computer when my gps isn't working right. :d

WPG_Merc
02-22-2012, 01:56 PM
I still work at a newspaper for 28 years & yes I remember 8 tracks. & also Kid's today don't know what CB radio's are which were a lot of fun in the mid 80's. :)

Krytin
02-22-2012, 02:15 PM
We could use paper routes again so we can get some of those fat ass computer connected kids out of the house once in a while and understand what it is to do some work.

Got my first paper route in '71 or '72 delivering for the Long Island Press on a route in Baxter Estates in Port Washington. I had to load 50+ papers on my Stingray and pedal about 2 miles just to get to the area the route was in - not too bad untill you got to the Sunday edition!

SC Cheesehead
02-22-2012, 03:46 PM
WLS was the radio station to listen to when I was little. On T.V., it was channel 26. I used to watch Soul Train in black and white. I'm still white, but I don't know if that channel is still around.

Can you say "Dick Biondi," "Larry Lujack," and "John 'Records' Landecker"?

Loved those guys!

Got my first paper route in '71 or '72 delivering for the Long Island Press on a route in Baxter Estates in Port Washington. I had to load 50+ papers on my Stingray and pedal about 2 miles just to get to the area the route was in - not too bad untill you got to the Sunday edition!

Me too. Uphill. Both ways. In the snow...

1 Bad Merc
02-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Animal Stories with Uncle Lar and little Tommy! I remember riding in my Dad's 69 Impala with the windows down (no air) with WLS Am on. My dad had the brand new 8-track player and I remember his' favorite tape was the Momma's & The Poppa's.

That brings up some memories :)

martyo
02-22-2012, 03:57 PM
This "Nostalgic Moment" brought to you by MartyO and the MO Tones! Stay tuned next week when we bring you "As the Dyno Spins....."

CBT
02-22-2012, 05:54 PM
This "Nostalgic Moment" brought to you by MartyO and the MO Tones! Stay tuned next week when we bring you "As the Dyno Spins....."

Nice! Sounds like a doo-wop band. Do you guys do weddings? :beer:

martyo
02-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Nice! Sounds like a doo-wop band. Do you guys do weddings? :beer:

Yes, and Bar Mitzvahs too!!!

finster101
02-22-2012, 07:50 PM

Heck, Marty can even handle the divorce for you ! :)

martyo
02-22-2012, 07:54 PM
heck, marty can even handle the divorce for you ! :)

lol!!!!

SC Cheesehead
02-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Oh, I remember you guys....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81qbyTgNcmI

drobin
02-22-2012, 08:06 PM
I HAVE A CRAIG AM-FM RADIO WITH BUILT IN EIGHT TRACK QUADAFONIC TAPE PAYER WHICH WAS FLOOR MOUNTED AND HAD AN UNBELIEVABLE SOUND BACK IN THE DAY (70'S). SOLD THE T-BIRD BUT STILL HAVE THE UNIT. WILL POST PICTURES ASAP.

DONALD (drobin)

TUXrauder
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM

WOKY - Milwaukee
WLS - Chicago
WHNE - Detroit

WTF, what happened to:
WKRP in Cincinnatti?????

Where is Dr. Johnny Fever today?

And my first car had an 8 track player... But I added the Cassette converter!

MyBlackBeasts
02-22-2012, 09:29 PM

WOKY - Milwaukee
WLS - Chicago
WHNE - Detroit

WOKY - Milwaukee
WLS - Chicago

Oh yaaaaah!!! AM rock! :beatnik:
U guys are making me all misty eyed with memories brought back by this thread...:bigcry:

Mr. Man
02-23-2012, 02:09 PM
I had one of these for my 8-tracks.'
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgevhBT7rcT Kp1HzyD3Zilh4S6989Gb-88sSS4HYvwxwoIXvVXGQ

boatmangc
02-23-2012, 06:40 PM
I turned down one of them new fangled contraptions when they told me I would have to take out my 78 speed record player to fit it with my under dash air conditioner!

ImpalaSlayer
02-23-2012, 07:35 PM
wtf is this thread about ? :D

SC Cheesehead
02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
wtf is this thread about ? :D

We're talkin' analog all the way, bubba! :D