PDA

View Full Version : xcal3

BirchMarauder
02-26-2012, 04:55 PM
i can't seem to find this answer on my normal ranger sites. If I were to buy an xcal3 for my 99 ranger 2.5 liter, would I be able to make the changes directly thru the handheld or do I need to find someone who can supply pre-loaded tunes. I know the truck isn't a big power maker, just wanted to see if I could beat some more power out of it. thought about a jet performance chip but there are alot of mixed reviews plus I'd have to use 91+ octane in order to get max results. if anyone knows, let me know.

Fosters
02-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Pretty sure all sct tuners come with a canned tune from sct for more power or more fuel economy; most of the time all they do is monkey with the timing though, and are very generic. I doubt you'll feel any difference with it. With superduties at least, same thing is true in that you have to switch to 91 for max results - and that should be true for the ranger as well - simply because it allows them to run more timing. For best results, you would need to have it tuned on a dyno. If you're looking for a bit more grunt on an otherwise stock truck, I'd switch gears in it before doing a tune though...