PDA

View Full Version : OEM sub box info & help

joflewbyu2
02-01-2004, 07:07 PM
while waiting for my new sub, I removed the OEM sub box. Took out the oem sub and noticed the box was empty besides a small 6" square sound mat for the sub just thrown in. I took the screws out of the bottom and pull apart the sub enclosure. This is difficult and needs a little finess along with a butter knife to pry open from a corner. I cut 1" thick batting (like polyfill) to line the bottom. I did 3 layers so it was the same height as the bottom part of the enclosure. This should slow down the bass waves and give a better tonal quality. I found 100% silicone in black which is what the factory used to seal the box. Be sure to use 100% silicone as caulk will not adhere to silicone that might be left behind as it is difficult to remove. Silicone is also 100% flexible and will not harden nor crack. Hopefully my sub will arrive Monday so I can get it all back together and installed. I also took the ring around the OEM sub off. Must be cut from the OEM sub's foam and clean foam from backing. I did this so I can place it on top of my Kenwood Sub SO THE PLASTIC RING COVER THAT SEALS THE SUB TO THE REAR DECK SHELF WILL FIT TIGHT INSTEAD OF LEAVING A GAP BETWEEN THE SUB AND COVER. This must be done because the screws that actually hold the sub down are started from the top of the plastic ring cover. AMAZING WHAT I CAN GET DONE WHILE MY 18 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER TAKES HER DAILY NAP!!