PDA

View Full Version : Something else to make your blood boil!!

MERCMAN
03-07-2012, 03:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/michigan-woman-still-collecting-food-stamps-winning-1-201751693.html

Bluerauder
03-07-2012, 04:06 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/michigan-woman-still-collecting-food-stamps-winning-1-201751693.html

Wonderful ..... another entitlement leech. :rolleyes:

CWright
03-07-2012, 04:58 PM
This is total :bs:

She deserves this prize instead!

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/Sparkling_turd.png Except for 2011!

babbage
03-07-2012, 06:14 PM
The food stamp program, part of the Department of Agriculture, is distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever.
Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Department of Agriculture, asks us to “Please Do Not Feed the Animals” because the animals may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves.

Mercguy04
03-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Feed the food stamp receiptents to the animals in the parks.
It is a save, save deal.

I know there are a lot of people out of work. And need all the help they can get.
There are 6 million people out of work, never mind those that are no longer counted
It is a damn shame. enough

Bluerauder
03-08-2012, 08:43 AM
The food stamp program, part of the Department of Agriculture, is distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever.
Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Department of Agriculture, asks us to “Please Do Not Feed the Animals; because the animals may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves.

That ^^^^^ is what we call Irony. Funny, too !!!

BTW -- The term "Food Stamps" seems to have negative connotations so the program is now call the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

sailsmen
03-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Prior to Hurricane Katrina 24% of the Population of New Orleans was on Food Stamps with a ~5% unemployment rate. They were on Food Stamps becasue our Gov't deemed them unable to feed themselves, the most basic human survival requirement.

Anyone who wanted a job could get one. Dishwashers were earning $25 per hour.
The cost of living was very low. You could live a very good life with out ever working.

The only flourishing industry were non-profits, a/k/a non-tax payers, in the Poverty Improvement Business.

This was the result of 30 years of Liberal Policies implemented by Liberal Politicians which were voted into office by Liberal Voters.

Ozark Marauder
03-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Sure it's more than a damn shame, should be criminal, that this leech with a half a million dollars in the bank, continues to use Food Stamps.....But...

Regardless of whether safety net programs like food stamps create dependency like so many claim, these programs are responsible for feeding millions of actual hungry Americans everyday. People who have never dreamed of needing food stamps but are now feeling the pinch of this economy are applying and receiving them. Low income workers, ie even some of our own soldiers who were on food stamps before the economic downturn need food stamps more than ever. It is despicable that some Americans and even our elected officials would turn away a fellow American citizen at their time of need because they might become “dependent.” Let’s work together to end American hunger, rather than rehash old arguments against it.......

Support your local food bank

SC Cheesehead
03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 10:39 AM EST, Thu March 8, 2012: Public assistance pulled from lottery winner

Perhaps there is some sanity in this world, after all...

sailsmen
03-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Sure it's more than a damn shame, should be criminal, that this leech with a half a million dollars in the bank, continues to use Food Stamps.....But...

Regardless of whether safety net programs like food stamps create dependency like so many claim, these programs are responsible for feeding millions of actual hungry Americans everyday. People who have never dreamed of needing food stamps but are now feeling the pinch of this economy are applying and receiving them. Low income workers, ie even some of our own soldiers who were on food stamps before the economic downturn need food stamps more than ever. It is despicable that some Americans and even our elected officials would turn away a fellow American citizen at their time of need because they might become “dependent.” Let’s work together to end American hunger, rather than rehash old arguments against it.......

Support your local food bank

Man best serves Man individually. Collectively Man best serves Man through Charity.
Government only serves Government.

"Making one comfortable in poverty condems them to a Life of it."

I know of a number of people who are on unemployment who would have a job the minute their unemployment ran out.

It is ENSLAVING to give people food and money not to work. Give a man a fish and he is ENSLAVED to you. Teach a man to fish and is free of you.

Paying people not to work and they will not work.

Mercguy04
03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
"Anyone who wanted a job could get one. Dishwashers were earning $25 per hour."

I don't know anyone washing dishes earning $25.00 an hour.
Most everyone I know who is our of work because of no fault of there own.
Usually wind up working for A fast food place earning 7.25 per hour on a part time
basics.

Some employers do the part time thing just so they don't have to pay bennies.
I may sound liberal to you, I am not. I just believe in fair play.
I am a staunch supporter of my First, second, Fourth, and Fifth amendments. I will not weaver from these under any circumstances.

Being LEO I want the mutts to talk to me. I know all the tricks in how to get them to
do that. That doesn't change how I feel about my rights, and yours as well unless I have you in cuffs.

We need big change in this country. The one percent needs to take a look at themselves. Enough said.

sailsmen
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
I was an owner of a Restaurant that was a recipient of the James Beard Award. Prior to Katrina we paid dish washers $25 per hour and we could not keep the position filled.
I have worked as a dish washer and it is hard work.

Paying people not to work enslaves them.

The 1% who have 20% of the income and pay 40% of the income tax need to leave. With our World being mobile there is no reason to stay where they are not wanted. I assume you know the 1% is a fluid group of people. Many move in to it and many move out. Sale of a business puts many in for the year they sold.

The risk reward for a new business does not out way a career with the Federal Gov't.

536, Congress + President, control 25% of our Economy or about $7 Billion each per year. Total Gov't spending is ~44-46.4% of our economy. The 2 Class system of Gov't workers vs Non-Gov't workers needs to end. When SS is cut 24% Gov't Pensions should also be cut 24%.

duhtroll
03-08-2012, 02:57 PM
The 1% who have 20% of the income and pay 40% of the income tax need to leave. With our World being mobile there is no reason to stay where they are not wanted. I assume you know the 1% is a fluid group of people. Many move in to it and many move out. Sale of a business puts many in for the year they sold.

The Congressional Budget Office says that between 1979 and 2007 incomes of the top 1% of Americans grew by an average of 275%. During the same time period, the 60% of Americans in the middle of the income scale saw their income rise by 40%.

Since 1979 the average pre-tax income for the bottom 90% of households has decreased by $900, while that of the top 1% increased by over $700,000, as federal taxation became less progressive. From 1992-2007 the top 400 income earners in the U.S. saw their income increase 392% and their average tax rate reduced by 37%.[34] In 2009, the average income of the top 1% was $960,000 with a minimum income of $343,927.[35][36][37]

In 2007 the richest 1% of the American population owned 34.6% of the country's total wealth, and the next 19% owned 50.5%. Thus, the top 20% of Americans owned 85% of the country's wealth and the bottom 80% of the population owned 15%.

Financial inequality (total net worth minus the value of one's home)[38] was greater than inequality in total wealth, with the top 1% of the population owning 42.7%, the next 19% of Americans owning 50.3%, and the bottom 80% owning 7%.[39]

However, after the Great Recession which started in 2007, the share of total wealth owned by the top 1% of the population grew from 34.6% to 37.1%, and that owned by the top 20% of Americans grew from 85% to 87.7%. The Great Recession also caused a drop of 36.1% in median household wealth but a drop of only 11.1% for the top 1%, further widening the gap between the 1% and the 99%.[39][40][41]

During the economic expansion between 2002 and 2007, the income of the top 1% grew 10 times faster than the income of the bottom 90%. In this period 66% of total income gains went to the 1%, who in 2007 had a larger share of total income than at any time since 1928.[42] This is in stark contrast with surveys of US populations that indicate an "ideal" distribution that is much more equal, and a widespread ignorance of the true income inequality and wealth inequality.[43]

Don't like Wikipedia? Check the sources they use before you dismiss.

And let them leave. Their businesses would still have to pay taxes if they are in the US or do business here, if we had a fair tax system.

Fosters
03-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Talk about making your blood boil...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/couple-lives-13-million-4900-square-foot-home-five-years-without-making-single-mortgage-payment

Wonder how Americans can afford to buy millions of iGadgets, a second LCD TV for the shoe closet, and eat at restaurants more than almost any time in the past despite sliding personal income? Simple - increasingly fewer pay the biggest staple bill in a US household: their mortgage. The following story of Keith And Janet Ritter, who have lived in their Fort Washington, MD $1.29MM, 4,900 square foot McMansion for 5 years (which they purchase with no money down) without ever making a single mortgage payment, and who are not even close to being evicted, may explain much about the way US society currently operates, and why other perfectly responsible and hard-working taxpayers (who do have to pay for their mortgage) continue to fund tens of billions in Fannie and Freddie losses who are first on the hook to absorb the implicit losses by allowing families such as the Ritters to live in perpetuity without paying, and the banks to keep said mortgage on the books at par without any impairments.

The Washington Post has more on this absolute horror story of a case study of just how busted the USSA has become:

The eviction from their million-dollar home could come at any moment. Keith and Janet Ritter have been bracing for it — and battling against it — almost from the moment they moved into the five-bedroom, 4,900-square-foot manse along the Potomac River in Fort Washington.

In five years, they have never made a mortgage payment, a fact that amazes even the most seasoned veterans of the foreclosure crisis.

The Ritters have kept the sheriff at bay by repeatedly filing for bankruptcy and by exploiting changes in Maryland’s laws designed to help delinquent homeowners avoid foreclosure.

Those efforts to protect homeowners have transformed Maryland’s foreclosure process from one of the country’s shortest to one of the longest. It now takes on average 634 days to complete a foreclosure in Maryland, compared with 132 days in Virginia.

“The market won’t fix itself,” said Anne Norton, Maryland’s deputy commissioner for financial regulations. “By the time it does, how many homeowners will be churned up and spit out by the machine?”

Critics, including economists and lenders, blame the state’s go-slow approach for a growing backlog of foreclosures and a weak-to-nonexistent recovery in home prices. To them, the system puts too much emphasis on helping individual homeowners and not enough on quickly clearing the market of foreclosures so prices can rebound and hard-hit communities can recover. And they say it also creates opportunities for abuse by those determined to drag the process out for as long as possible.

“How is it people can stay in a house for five years without ever making a mortgage payment?” said Thomas A. Lawler, a former senior vice president at Fannie Mae who now runs his own consulting firm in Loudoun County. “That’s a screwed-up process. It’s an example of how the process is broken.”

The Ritters, who bought their house for $1.29 million with almost no money down, are hardly representative of the vast majority of Maryland’s distressed homeowners.

During the boom, they set out to become mini real estate moguls, buying properties and flipping them for a profit. In the process, Keith Ritter, 54, went from being on probation for bankruptcy fraud and making minimum wage to being a successful real estate investor and landlord with a six-figure income. Then, when the housing market tanked five years ago, the couple found themselves facing multiple foreclosures.

The Ritters have tried to negotiate different payment arrangements with their lender to save their posh home near National Harbor, they said, but to no avail.

“It was never our intention to get here and never make a mortgage payment,” Keith Ritter said. “We don’t believe in living for free.”

But he and Janet, a 51-year-old real estate agent, make no apology for using every tactic available to them to stay in their house, including challenging the foreclosure sale in court, requesting mediation and claiming they had a tenant living with them. Their adversaries, they argued, are giant financial institutions with armies of lawyers that are out to make as much money as possible at the expense of homeowners.

“When a bank does all it can to save itself, that’s good business,” Keith said. “When a homeowner does the same thing, he’s called a deadbeat.”
And that, ladies and gents, is why this country is ****ed.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2012/02/Ritters.jpg

duhtroll
03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Come now, you're just envious of the rich.

Talk about making your blood boil...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/couple-lives-13-million-4900-square-foot-home-five-years-without-making-single-mortgage-payment

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2012/02/Ritters.jpg

CBT
03-08-2012, 06:47 PM

Note to self: Don't pay mortgage for 5 years, use mun-muns saved to buy some fly assed leather pants and *****y "art" to hang on walls I'm not paying for. Score!

Shaijack
03-08-2012, 07:33 PM
CBT I think they should be kicked our for their art. Sucks...

Ozark Marauder
03-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Man best serves Man individually. Collectively Man best serves Man through Charity.
Government only serves Government.

"Making one comfortable in poverty condemns them to a Life of it."

I know of a number of people who are on unemployment who would have a job the minute their unemployment ran out.

It is ENSLAVING to give people food and money not to work. Give a man a fish and he is ENSLAVED to you. Teach a man to fish and is free of you.

Paying people not to work and they will not work.

I am against most government programs, waste, and regulatory intrusions in our lives, as you are. Being self made myself, I agree with your "talking points". But, I'm sorry, just because of the abuse of some, maybe a lot, and I'm strictly talking about hunger in America, does not change my opinion that we have an obligation to take care of some of the unfortunate souls.

Charity? yes, that's why I said support your local food bank. I'm sure as a restaurant owner, you have donated food at one time or another..... I'm just saying...btw congratulations on your Beard award......

HammerDown
03-09-2012, 11:21 AM

how did she even qualify for "food stamps" if she had TWO houses?*/$#

duhtroll
03-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Because she technically had income below the line to qualify, which I am assuming means the lottery prize didn't count somehow. Or maybe it only counted for the year she won it.

I am not defending her in the least when I say this, BUT...

People exploiting loopholes happens every day, everywhere you go. Businesses do it to make $billions. Sometimes we catch them, sometimes we don't but even when we do, getting the laws changed is a major fight every time.

See how easy it was to pull aid from this person who was exploiting the loophole? (she has lost her SNAP privileges) We can't do that with a business. They can hire lawyers and drag things out, into long court battles because it is cheaper to pay a settlement than it is to change the law.

I'm not defending the guy who had the multi-million dollar house and made no mortgage payments either, but that last statement in the article is exactly right. When businesses exploit or even bend/break the rules to make money, it is called good business and good luck telling them they have to change. When an individual does it, they not only get labeled differently but they can be stopped in the blink of an eye.

Our system is wholly hypocritical in this regard.