PDA

View Full Version : JLT CAI : Warping issue

Horsepower
03-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Where the rubber connector meets the tube running to the air filter. The area has been warping for a while. ( due to air ) ... Common sense says my diminishing exhaust is due to air leaking. Also , maybe the cause of the engine codes : running lean : appears from time to time. Any quick fix or should I be looking for a new CAI ?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3wxxln

fastblackmerc
03-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Where the rubber connector meets the tube running to the air filter. The area has been warping for a while. ( due to air ) ... Common sense says my diminishing exhaust is due to air leaking. Also , maybe the cause of the engine codes : running lean : appears from time to time. Any quick fix or should I be looking for a new CAI ?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3wxxln

Contact Jay at JLT.

screamn
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM
+1 on contacting JLT.

They will do their best to rectify your problem!

marauder410
03-13-2012, 12:29 PM
go k&N cant go wrong with that

ctrlraven
03-13-2012, 12:44 PM
go k&N cant go wrong with that
Besides a lot lighter of a wallet.

Like others have said, talk to Jay Tucker @ JLT. He is a really nice guy and hopefully he can get you squared away.

MrBluGruv
03-13-2012, 01:01 PM
The cost of the K&N units has come down considerably from what I remember finding them at a few years ago. They can be had for just over $200, which is actually competitive with JLT now.

Nothing wrong with the JLT though, I really liked mine when I had it, but I think the cost factor is becoming less of an issue now, at least unless the prices rocket back up again.

Siege
03-13-2012, 01:54 PM
I just bought my K&N last week for $187.36 shipped.

Both are great kits, I just preferred the single solid intake tube of the K&N.
:beer:

tbone
03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
I like the JLT better.

Merrill
03-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Had the JLT for 2+ years, no complaimts, good value.

RocsMerc
03-13-2012, 03:40 PM
I've had the warping issue with the JLT kit. It was an issue with the early kits from years ago. The modern kits use a different material than the old kit. You should definitely contact him. He's very good with dealing with this issue. I remember he was offering to replace the tube for free if you emailed him a photo of the warped pipe. This was a long time ago and I don't know if he's still offering the same deal. All I can say is he honored the deal for me even though I wasn't even a direct customer of his. I bought my Marauder used and it just happened to have an older kit already installed by the previous owner. I would recommend JLT to anyone.

Black_Noise
03-13-2012, 04:40 PM
JLT = well worth the money and helping a vendor

MyBlackBeasts
03-13-2012, 07:35 PM
The cost of the K&N units has come down considerably from what I remember finding them at a few years ago. They can be had for just over $200, which is actually competitive with JLT now.

Nothing wrong with the JLT though, I really liked mine when I had it, but I think the cost factor is becoming less of an issue now, at least unless the prices rocket back up again.

Got my K&N on amazon.com, new in the box shipped to my door for $167.00 - deals can be had. Good hunting! :D

DEFYANT
03-13-2012, 07:41 PM
I think I read somewhere JLT had used a bad batch stock of pvc pipe that could.t hold up. I believe he was working with customers to fix this.

MrBluGruv
03-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Jeez, and I thought the $200 deals were good. :eek:

My JLT was a good buy, but I may have actually given thought to the K&N if they were the same price as the JLT when I was looking. At the time, I could swear the K&N kit was near $300 or so, definitely a different price league.

If the prices really are even now, it has literally come down to preference on looks...

DOOM
03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Got my K&N on amazon.com, new in the box shipped to my door for $167.00 - deals can be had. Good hunting! :D

Helluva deal! :up:

Siege
03-14-2012, 02:39 AM

Damn that's a good deal! Spill the beans on how you got it for $167 so others can benefit. :D

I got mine from AutoAnything last week and had them price match the cheapest place online. AutoAnything will match the price and knock $10 off of the price.

ctrlraven
03-14-2012, 05:17 AM
Years ago the K&N FI kit was over $300. A lot of the top Ford shops across the US use JLT on their 9 and 10 sec GT500's and 5.0's.... just sayin.

Siege
03-14-2012, 06:11 AM
Years ago the K&N FI kit was over $300. A lot of the top Ford shops across the US use JLT on their 9 and 10 sec GT500's and 5.0's.... just sayin.

You are correct however JLT's newer offerings are far more developed than the one made for the Marauder with the reducers and three piece intake pipe.

Here is JLT's GT500 intake:
http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/images/sm2010%20Big%20Air%20002%20%28 13%29.jpg

and the 5.0 intake:
http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/images/sm2011%20GT%205.0%20plastic%20 CAI%20007.jpg

IMO JLT's newer intakes for the Mustangs are much closer in design to the Marauder K&N intake. If they were to update the kit for the Marauder to the new designs they offer above then they would have gotten my money instead of K&N. :beer:

Horsepower
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks folks ... Response time is good as usual .... I'll email jay Friday mourning. My car is in the garage till then and it's not coming out to play until.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wafcug

MyBlackBeasts
03-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Damn that's a good deal! Spill the beans on how you got it for $167 so others can benefit. :D

I got mine from AutoAnything last week and had them price match the cheapest place online. AutoAnything will match the price and knock $10 off of the price.

Nothing special. Just got the K&N part number, Googleshopping searched it, brought up 1 for sale on amazon.com, price qualified for free shipping. Searched for a few weeks and fell in to it. If you don't need something instantly and search for a few weeks you can usually fine a deal.

As the K&N price has dropped to meet with JLT I went with the K&N as I prefer its looks better. There is no performance difference between the 2.