PDA

View Full Version : Jury duty- do not delete without reading

Mercguy04
03-13-2012, 02:41 PM
This came across the Marshal Service wire alert. Please take notice.
This is for real. Along with the FBI.Gov we are also looking to this.

Importance: High Pass this on to your grown children and anyone else you can think of. This has been verified by the FBI (their link is also included below). Please pass this on to everyone in your email address book. It is spreading fast so be prepared should you get this call. Most of us take those summonses for jury duty seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic duty that a new and ominous kind of fraud has surfaced.

The caller claims to be a jury DUTY coordinator. If you protest that you never received a summons for jury duty, the Scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Give out any of this information and bingo; your identity was just stolen.

The fraud has been reported so far in 11 states, including Oklahoma , Illinois , and Colorado , AZ and more. This (swindle) is particularly insidious because they use intimidation over the phone to try to bully people into giving information by pretending they are with the court system.

The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide alerts on their web sites, warning consumers about the fraud. Check it out here: http://www.FBI.gov/page2/june06/jury_scams060206.htm> And here: http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp> Yep! It's true

Mike M
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Confirmed.........

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/juryduty.asp

tbone
03-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks.

PS I don't think snopes is the final say in anything.

fastblackmerc
03-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks.

PS I don't think snopes is the final say in anything.

But they debunk a lot the crap that is out there.

tbone
03-13-2012, 06:21 PM
But they debunk a lot the crap that is out there.

They are just people with opinions. I don't understand the blind trust people put in them.

Fosters
03-13-2012, 06:32 PM
They are just people with opinions. I don't understand the blind trust people put in them.

I always wondered on the confirmed stuff - what if they're in on it??! *tinfoil hat*

J/k, I agree, I've seen instances where snopes was wrong.

ImpalaSlayer
03-13-2012, 06:40 PM
as dirty as that is its pretty ingenious

Juice
03-13-2012, 06:46 PM
If you're dumb enough to give your SSN to someone who calls you, then you probably deserve it. I bet you wouldn't do it again.

Mr. Man
03-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Mama always said "If someone calls you don't give them any information. Ask for their company phone # and tell them you will call them back"

fastblackmerc
03-13-2012, 06:53 PM

From the FAQ's:

Q: How do I know the information you've presented is accurate?

A: We don't expect anyone to accept us as the ultimate authority on any topic. Unlike the plethora of anonymous individuals who create and send the unsigned, unsourced e-mail messages that are forwarded all over the Internet, we show our work. The research materials we've used in the preparation of any particular page are listed in the bibliography displayed at the bottom of that page so that readers who wish to verify the validity of our information may check those sources for themselves.

tbone
03-13-2012, 10:18 PM
You just proved my point. Thanks.

(Any "fact" can be massaged to fit your particular opinion.)

MrBluGruv
03-13-2012, 10:27 PM
I'd look at it the same way you'd look at wikipedia: while yes, anyone can contribute, if you find an article with many MANY citations, you'd probably be safe in putting more and more faith in what they say.

ctrlraven
03-14-2012, 05:39 AM
That FBI article is from 2006. lol

Mote
03-14-2012, 07:31 AM
The FBI website article is 6 years old. Yes, you should hang up. But the real give away is that scammers sound *really* tired. They've been dialing for years after all.