PDA

View Full Version : smog legal cat back xpipe (CA.)

bigmerc281
03-13-2012, 06:07 PM
a bud of mine offered to make me a custom catback xpipe. but im not sure they are smog legal here in Nazifornia. something about aftermarket cats being illegal. could i use the oem cats on the xpipe ? or how would i go around doing this
help anyone?:confused: :confused:

STEPS
03-13-2012, 06:11 PM
be ready for the Xpipe drone

guspech750
03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
be ready for the Xpipe drone
Justbob has an Xpipe and there is no drone.

MrBluGruv
03-13-2012, 08:12 PM
As long as what you modify stays behind the back-most catalytic converters, there should be no emissions trouble. However, I don't know laws regarding modification of exhaust for sound levels. I just know you aren't supposed to even relocate factory cats from the factory installed positions, they HAVE to be there and they HAVE to be in the factory position for them to be fully legal.

bigmerc281
03-13-2012, 09:05 PM
As long as what you modify stays behind the back-most catalytic converters, there should be no emissions trouble. However, I don't know laws regarding modification of exhaust for sound levels. I just know you aren't supposed to even relocate factory cats from the factory installed positions, they HAVE to be there and they HAVE to be in the factory position for them to be fully legal.

If I run the same size as the oem H pipe and use the cats off it for the x pipe would It keep me out of trouble.would there would be no point of swaping. Would the sound level be the same?

dohc324ci
03-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Leave your cats just do a magnaflow universal x and 18" magnaflow meg deletes. Kali aftermarket cats must have an EO number stamped on the cats.

bigmerc281
03-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Leave your cats just do a magnaflow universal x and 18" magnaflow meg deletes. Kali aftermarket cats must have an EO number stamped on the cats.

might have to end up doing that my friend is doing a custom catted xpipe for me for less then half that price. Just wanted for it to be smog legal

MrBluGruv
03-13-2012, 10:12 PM

Even with the CARB number, isn't it still mandatory that they be placed in the factory position, basically having them on paper be only replacement cats?

dohc324ci
03-14-2012, 06:05 AM
might have to end up doing that my friend is doing a custom catted xpipe for me for less then half that price. Just wanted for it to be smog legal

If he leave your cats and fabs the rest then it would.

Even with the CARB number, isn't it still mandatory that they be placed in the factory position, basically having them on paper be only replacement cats?

Yes. But the new cats also are stamped with the EO#. I spoke to a local shop owner and the state does drop in inspections; they literally pulled all cats from the shop with no EO# (he keeped a few). Most smog techs have no clue but every year it's harder and harder to get away as the state is stepping up their compliance efforts particularly with fines to shops.

bigmerc281
03-14-2012, 06:17 AM
If he leave your cats and fabs the rest then it would.
would there be a difference sound. Or would
it sound the same as it did if it were the stock hpipe.