PDA

View Full Version : attention smokers

whitey
03-14-2012, 07:07 PM
hey all, not sure how many people on here smoke, but i figured i would share some money saving info to you all. if you smoke a pack a day(as i do), in a week i would have normally spent ~$40 a week on cigarettes. a buddy of mine showed me his rolling machine...long story short...i bought one a week later. the machine is a top "top-o-matic"(not the top-o-matic t2) and cost around $45. the best tobacco iv'e found yet is called "the good stuff" and is labeled 'pipe tobacco' because of the bill Obama passed, that says all roll your own cigarette tobacco cannot be sold over the internet, so the tobacco companies cut the tobacco slightly different and now label it as pipe tobacco. there are numerous brands of tobacco to try, and numerous brands of cigarette tubes to try, king size, 100's, menthol, regular, and light tubes(all tubes have filters, just like the marlboro's you smoke). with all the different brands, im sure you'll find a combination thats right for you. now down to the buisness side.......a pound of tobacco cost me $11, and a box of cigarette tubes(200 count) cost around $2.50. i can roll around 450 cigarettes from a pound of tobacco. so thats a total cost of $16.63 for 2 1/4 cartons of cigarettes. at $.74 a pack, you cant beat it. so then the question is....how fast can you roll a pack? when i first started back in may 2011, it took about 20-25 minutes to roll a pack, after the first 200 or so cigarettes, you really get the feel for it and i can roll a pack of smokes in 12 minutes, less time then it would take me to drive to the gas station and come back. well, just thought i'd throw this out there, i've led you to the water, but its up to you to drink:beer:--whitey

bigdhasmoney
03-14-2012, 07:18 PM
NICE!!!! I might get my bro some gifts in the future!

DOOM
03-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Glad I dont smoke!

Expensive habit!

SC Cheesehead
03-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Glad I dont smoke!

Expensive habit!

Tell me about it!

I quit 30 years ago when a pack was $0.65, one of the best things I ever did.

DOOM
03-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Tell me about it!

Good for you Rex! :beer:

SC Cheesehead
03-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Good for you Rex! :beer:

I'll have to tell you the story behind it when we're in Looseville, Jake.

Black_Noise
03-14-2012, 07:26 PM
trying to quit.... more money for mods!!

05crownsport
03-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Glad I dont smoke!

Expensive habit!

Cause burnin' rubber is sooo much cheaper! :lol:

kernie
03-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Tell me about it!

Your lungs thank you more than your wallet.

:beer:

DOOM
03-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Cause burnin' rubber is sooo much cheaper! :lol:

LMMFAO!!!!!! :rofl:

whitey
03-14-2012, 07:33 PM
i wasn't raised a 'quitter':P. no, but seriously, yes...smoking is bad, if you can quit, congrat's, but if you can't/don't want to, i suggest rolling your own. i dont need to die from it with an empty wallet. i dont know how i afforded cig's before i did this.

Shaijack
03-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Doom you do SMOKE...

05crownsport
03-14-2012, 07:40 PM
i wasn't raised a 'quitter':P. no, but seriously, yes...smoking is bad, if you can quit, congrat's, but if you can't/don't want to, i suggest rolling your own. i dont need to die from it with an empty wallet. i dont know how i afforded cig's before i did this.

Yeah, if you can quit...please do. We'll all still like you no matter what. The cost of everything is going up thanks to taxes, fuel prices, and decreased wages. It's expensive to drink milk, but I'm not getting a cow....they crap too much!

whitey
03-14-2012, 07:45 PM
this thread has been :hijack:.....i love it.

whitey
03-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, if you can quit...please do. We'll all still like you no matter what. The cost of everything is going up thanks to taxes, fuel prices, and decreased wages. It's expensive to drink milk, but I'm not getting a cow....they crap too much!

i choose not to because i enjoy smoking, its not that im addicted(well maybe a little bit:o), more of a bad habit though......im actually going to go outside right now and enjoy a lung buster :P

Mr. Man
03-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Doom you do SMOKE...
He's smokin' something :rasta:

05crownsport
03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
this thread has been :hijack:.....i love it.

Thread pirate Paul!

05crownsport
03-14-2012, 07:56 PM
He's smokin' something :rasta:

Maybe....POLE?:help:

whitey
03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
19 post strong, and 1 person actually read what it was about:D

05crownsport
03-14-2012, 08:02 PM
19 post strong, and 1 person actually read what it was about:D

It's about that paper and tobacco rolling thingy that saves you a bunch of money on your car...err toe backy products. What do I win?

whitey
03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
It's about that paper and tobacco rolling thingy that saves you a bunch of money on your car...err toe backy products. What do I win?

the grand prize!.....you get to be my slave for a week!<<<not to be takin' literally

05crownsport
03-14-2012, 08:07 PM
the grand prize!.....you get to be my slave for a week!<<<not to be takin' literally

You BRUTE! As CBT would say, and I quote "Hi Sailor!"

lji372
03-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Never smoked myself not even the funny stuff. Too bad I can't drop 100lbs though. Bottom line, we all have our vice :/

Horsepower
03-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Cigs here are $6... Rounded out at 10 a pack ... I smoke a pack a day ... I spend 200 bucks on cigs every month. With gas goin up I can't afford cigs anymore. Guess which habit has to go .. The smoking or the driving ?.... HELLO

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?macbtk

Haggis
03-15-2012, 04:25 AM
I use to roll my own when I was in the army, much better flavor and not all the chemicals the package brands have.

CBT
03-15-2012, 04:29 AM
I roll my own smokes, too. ;)

Spectragod
03-15-2012, 04:50 AM
I roll my own smokes, too. ;)

When I'm rollin', I'm smoking............. the tires that is. :D :burnout:

justbob
03-15-2012, 04:57 AM
I think I also have that roller? I'll have to check. I agree on the cost savings! I just got lazy.

Glad to see this didn't turn into "You smoke? OMG!" Like we don't know its bad... Smoking has litteraly turned into the worst sin.

Nice to see something positive.

TooManyFords
03-15-2012, 05:06 AM

What you fail to realize is that you WILL die with an empty wallet from paying for all the medical treatments to try to cure your lung cancer, throat cancer, cancer of the mouth (I could go on..) and then there is the 20-30 years of your life that literally goes up in smoke. Want to see your grand children, great grand children? good luck with that!

As hard as quitting seems, it is doable. You just need a stronger motivator (like the kids), to make you do it. The pain does not last forever, so start today and you will be free of the bad habit and live a much happier life.

Today, I will not even be in the same room with smokers because they stink. They may 'think" that the breath mint or gum makes it all disappear, but it doesn't. It's a dirty habit and I will not be part of it.

Now, want to know how I really feel?

SID210SA
03-15-2012, 05:14 AM
I started smoking when I was 16 and the Marlboro man was asking $2.10 a pack.....I stopped smoking when I was 25 and didnt start again 'til I was 32. I quit for 7 years but gained a bunch of weight....prolly about 60lbs. I have now been smoking again for 5 years and quit buying individual packs. I now buy cartons once every three to four weeks. When I first started smoking I was going thru a pack and a half a day to two packs. When I started again I am now going thru a pack once every two days.

Cost of cigs here are almost 8 bucks a pack.....cost of a carton 56 bucks. So I am saving about 14 bucks a month buy buying a carton vs. individual packs. I may look into this to save more money, as this is a very expensive habit.

On the plus side,

I have never smoked in my home, or in any of my cars......dont like the smell on my clothes or getting stuck to my interior of the vehicles I drive. I also dont like to smoke around people that dont smoke so when I light up, I go away from people or stand down wind from them.

I tried the electronic cig and it helped a bit but in the long run I still had to have the real thing.....one day I will try the patch and see how that works.

Mike

whitey
03-15-2012, 05:29 AM
What you fail to realize is that you WILL die with an empty wallet from paying for all the medical treatments to try to cure your lung cancer, throat cancer, cancer of the mouth (I could go on..) and then there is the 20-30 years of your life that literally goes up in smoke. Want to see your grand children, great grand children? good luck with that!

As hard as quitting seems, it is doable. You just need a stronger motivator (like the kids), to make you do it. The pain does not last forever, so start today and you will be free of the bad habit and live a much happier life.

Today, I will not even be in the same room with smokers because they stink. They may 'think" that the breath mint or gum makes it all disappear, but it doesn't. It's a dirty habit and I will not be part of it.

Now, want to know how I really feel?

you learn something new everyday:flamer::P

I use to roll my own when I was in the army, much better flavor and not all the chemicals the package brands have.

i also find the flavor/taste is much better, i tried a marlboro smooth(what i used to smoke) a couple months after i started rolling my own and it was disgusting

Cost of cigs here are almost 8 bucks a pack.....cost of a carton 56 bucks. So I am saving about 14 bucks a month buy buying a carton vs. individual packs. I may look into this to save more money, as this is a very expensive habit.

Mike

if you start rolling your own, i guarantee you think "i dont know why i didn't do this sooner!"

babbage
03-15-2012, 05:30 AM
Glad I dont smoke!

Expensive habit!

Ahem, tell us again about the tires! :D

Ozark Marauder
03-15-2012, 06:12 AM
I started smoking when I was 16 and the Marlboro man was asking $2.10 a pack.....I stopped smoking when I was 25 and didnt start again 'til I was 32. I quit for 7 years but gained a bunch of weight....prolly about 60lbs. I have now been smoking again for 5 years and quit buying individual packs. I now buy cartons once every three to four weeks. When I first started smoking I was going thru a pack and a half a day to two packs. When I started again I am now going thru a pack once every two days.

On the plus side,

I have never smoked in my home, or in any of my cars......dont like the smell on my clothes or getting stuck to my interior of the vehicles I drive. I also dont like to smoke around people that dont smoke so when I light up, I go away from people or stand down wind from them.

I tried the electronic cig and it helped a bit but in the long run I still had to have the real thing.....one day I will try the patch and see how that works.

Mike

Patches worked for me, didn't even go to the third step, pure pharmaceutical nicotine, without all the other chemicals of smokes. Of course gained 20 lbs, using my Dr. Grandma's diet formula of just eating half the my normal portions and chewing twice as many times before swallowing (ok go for it CBT) lost the 20, and back to 205. Sinus cleared up, food tastes better, I can smell a cigarette smoker at 20 feet.

Hey, no smoker bashing here, I really enjoyed smoking, and yes after 4 years, I still get the urge, but on a monthly basis, not daily. Usually when drinking coffee or beer :beer:.
Go for it....it's cheaper than buying cartons

OZ

SilverBirch
03-15-2012, 06:44 AM
:rasta:

Please don't smoke in your Marauders as I may be buying your car one day and nothing worse than a car that has been smoked in regularly.

SC Cheesehead
03-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Patches worked for me, didn't even go to the third step, pure pharmaceutical nicotine, without all the other chemicals of smokes. Of course gained 20 lbs, using my Dr. Grandma's diet formula of just eating half the my normal portions and chewing twice as many times before swallowing (ok go for it CBT) lost the 20, and back to 205. Sinus cleared up, food tastes better, I can smell a cigarette smoker at 20 feet.

Hey, no smoker bashing here, I really enjoyed smoking, and yes after 4 years, I still get the urge, but on a monthly basis, not daily. Usually when drinking coffee or beer :beer:.
Go for it....it's cheaper than buying cartons

OZ

I hear that!

In my case, it was 60 lbs, and I've never really gotten rid of it. :(

Amazing how the sense of smell improves, and how awful cigarette smoke smells (sorry, smokers, just sayin...).

I get the urge, too now and then usually whn drinking, but it goes away as soon as I smell cigarette smoke. Now cigars, on the other hand. :cool: If I was to start smoking again, it would be cigars; however, the last time I tried one (about 25 years ago) I got sicker than a dog, so that's it for me.

fastblackmerc
03-15-2012, 07:21 AM
I hear that!

In my case, it was 60 lbs, and I've never really gotten rid of it. :(

Amazing how the sense of smell improves, and how awful cigarette smoke smells (sorry, smokers, just sayin...).

I get the urge, too now and then usually whn drinking, but it goes away as soon as I smell cigarette smoke. Now cigars, on the other hand. :cool: If I was to start smoking again, it would be cigars; however, the last time I tried one (about 25 years ago) I got sicker than a dog, so that's it for me.

You need to smoke GOOD cigar.....

fastblackmerc
03-15-2012, 07:23 AM
i choose not to because i enjoy smoking, its not that im addicted(well maybe a little bit:o), more of a bad habit though......im actually going to go outside right now and enjoy a lung buster :P

You "enjoy" smoking because that is how the nicotine affects your brain.

Don't kid yourself.... your addicted!

SC Cheesehead
03-15-2012, 07:25 AM

Do not tempt me... ;)

Haggis
03-15-2012, 07:34 AM

How about a pipe?

1stMerc
03-15-2012, 07:38 AM
The highent sense of smell is the roughest part when it comes to quitting.

1stMerc
03-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Pipes are great at home, or lounge, but can be quite inconveinent in general.

bigdhasmoney
03-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Hey whitey, does that machine pack the tubes well? Like ive seen machines either pack to much or to little where the tube breaks apart. What im trying to ask is that, do the cigarettes smoke good?!! Lol

blackwater1311
03-15-2012, 10:11 AM
I buy my smokes everyweek when I come to manassas va $30 bucks for a carton lol

DOOM
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Ahem, tell us again about the tires! :D

:wasntme: :hide:

:D

Fosters
03-15-2012, 11:09 AM
I smoke...
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2693/4380131322_c1732aea71.jpg

Any cheap recipe for those? Mustang has 33k on it and it's on it's 4th set of tires :o

Timw286
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
$4 a pack on base! :P

NavySeabee
03-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Don't expect that to last long! I was getting them 35 a carton on base. Overnight jump to 60 bucks last month. From the Exchange rumors, bases will not be discounting cigs in the near future. I also checked the national Guard base as well as the Sub Base in Groton, CT., they all doubled in price.

whitey
03-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Hey whitey, does that machine pack the tubes well? Like ive seen machines either pack to much or to little where the tube breaks apart. What im trying to ask is that, do the cigarettes smoke good?!! Lol yes, however, you need to teach yourself on how much to pack it....too much tobacco= really hard to draw, cooler smoke, too little= fast burning, hotter smoke. i recommend rolling a few the same way, smoking them, and seeing if you got it right or if you need change how much tobacco to pack. its a feel thing, like driving a clutch, once you get it, its pretty simple to do it right.

I buy my smokes everyweek when I come to manassas va $30 bucks for a carton lol
$7.40 a carton= i win by $22.60

$.74 a pack= i win by $3.26

jwibbity
03-15-2012, 08:49 PM
i know everbody is gonna hate me but i do smoke in my SB, my thing is i plan on keeping the car forever so i dont have to worry about resale value, lol NEWPORT's FTW!! any linkies for the cigarette roller thingies

Haggis
03-16-2012, 04:31 AM
Don't expect that to last long! I was getting them 35 a carton on base. Overnight jump to 60 bucks last month. From the Exchange rumors, bases will not be discounting cigs in the near future. I also checked the national Guard base as well as the Sub Base in Groton, CT., they all doubled in price.

Damn..., I remember getting a carton for $2+ at the Class 6 back in the '80s.

justbob
03-16-2012, 04:36 AM
i know everbody is gonna hate me but i do smoke in my SB, my thing is i plan on keeping the car forever so i dont have to worry about resale value, lol NEWPORT's FTW!! any linkies for the cigarette roller thingies

No hate here. Does anyone think I give a ratts azz what they think about my smoking in MY car? NOPE! My family of five have ate in it, I've used the trunk like a pick up truck with bagged dirt, mulch, even a lawn mower and weed wacker to do the in laws yard. Driven in snow, and rain, and raced it. The car has payed for itself atleast twice now and I plan to continue enjoying my car to the fullest! I have never once had an issue selling a smoked in car, never once. And I have sold many cars and trucks.. My car is still one of the cleanest examples of a MM from my OCD since the day I bought her. I over clean, over maintain, and I scare the life out of all the neighborhood kids if they come over to play with mine and the car is out.

whitey
03-16-2012, 06:45 AM
heres the machine, although i dont know if it can be sold over the internet, due to the law that banned all roll-your-own(ryo) cigarrette stuff
http://www.tobaccogeneral.com/top-machine-top-o-matic-2791-prd1.htm i had the T2, which is basically the same machine, but its all chrome:coolman:, too bad the minor changes actually made the performance of the machine suffer instead of the claimed improvements.

the same site has the tobacco i use "the good stuff", which can be sold over the internet, because its labeled 'pipe tobacco'. dont be fooled be the name of pipe tobacco, its all the same taste of cigarette tobacco, just the tobacco has been cut slightly differently. here, a 1pound bag is $13, i get mine from a store in PA, which does not have a website, for $10.95 a pound. i suggest trying to find a store near you to buy your supplies from, it might be cheaper!. i can say that the "4 aces" pipe tobacco, "gambler" pipe and cigarette tobacco, and even the "top" cigarette tobacco, to me taste like shat, so i wouldn't recommend these. the best tobacco iv'e found is "the good stuff", and many people on RYO forums will say the same. the best tubes ive found for menthol are "hot rod", "golden harvest", and "texas roll 'em" tubes, in that order, but i try different tubes all the time, so that could change. i do not like the "top" or "gambler" tubes, and as it turns out, the 3 tubes i like are the cheaper priced tubes out of the bunch. hot rod tubes have a 20mm filter, for a smoother 'lighter' smoke, the golden harvest tubes have a 17mm filter, and the texas roll 'em tubes have a 15mm filter(15mm is standard for filters, unless otherwise specified on the box). you have to find what works for you, and iv'e done too much research and turned it into a science, which wasn't neccesary, but thats what i do in things im interested in. ive summed up everything ive found to save you guys the hassle.--whitey

WhatsUpDOHC
03-16-2012, 03:52 PM
hey all, not sure how many people on here smoke, but i figured i would share some money saving info to you all. if you smoke a pack a day(as i do), in a week i would have normally spent ~$40 a week on cigarettes. a buddy of mine showed me his rolling machine...long story short...i bought one a week later. the machine is a top "top-o-matic"(not the top-o-matic t2) and cost around $45. the best tobacco iv'e found yet is called "the good stuff" and is labeled 'pipe tobacco' because of the bill Obama passed, that says all roll your own cigarette tobacco cannot be sold over the internet, so the tobacco companies cut the tobacco slightly different and now label it as pipe tobacco. there are numerous brands of tobacco to try, and numerous brands of cigarette tubes to try, king size, 100's, menthol, regular, and light tubes(all tubes have filters, just like the marlboro's you smoke). with all the different brands, im sure you'll find a combination thats right for you. now down to the buisness side.......a pound of tobacco cost me $11, and a box of cigarette tubes(200 count) cost around $2.50. i can roll around 450 cigarettes from a pound of tobacco. so thats a total cost of $16.63 for 2 1/4 cartons of cigarettes. at $.74 a pack, you cant beat it. so then the question is....how fast can you roll a pack? when i first started back in may 2011, it took about 20-25 minutes to roll a pack, after the first 200 or so cigarettes, you really get the feel for it and i can roll a pack of smokes in 12 minutes, less time then it would take me to drive to the gas station and come back. well, just thought i'd throw this out there, i've led you to the water, but its up to you to drink:beer:--whitey

Do you have any cheaper methods of drinking?

jwibbity
03-16-2012, 03:58 PM
what are you thoughts on the zen super shooter???

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Best-Electric-Cigarette-Machine/dp/B006N8K10W

yjmud
03-16-2012, 04:08 PM
busch light :lol:

bigdhasmoney
03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Brew your own and then sell it whatsupdohc! :D

whitey
03-16-2012, 04:32 PM
what are you thoughts on the zen super shooter???

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Best-Electric-Cigarette-Machine/dp/B006N8K10W

not sure, but i know a lot of electric machines use an auger style packer instead of a spoon injector.....ive been told the auger machines pack a terrible cigarette, loosely packed and "fine if your sitting and smoking, but not good if you drive and smoke". i talked to a guy who has a powermatic, which is an electric spoon injector, and he LOVES it......heres my deal with that: you still have to pack it, put a tube on the injector nozzle......so im paying an extra ~$40 to not pull a crank around, and just have to push a button......id rather crank if its going to cost me that kind of money, its not hard:cool4:. if you can turn a wrench, type on a keyboard, or wipe your butt, get the manual machine. if you have carple tunnel(sp), or bad arthritus(sp, lol), have a handi-capped tag on your mm, get the electric model.

whitey
03-16-2012, 04:36 PM

everclear shots! or bacardi 151.....im drunk off of 1 shot! i love being a lightweight.

Shaijack
03-17-2012, 08:30 AM
I don't smoke and never have but I have a friend that is a cig rep and he tells me that he pays .50 for a can of Skoal and they sell for $5.00. That is a big mark up. Wonder what the cigs are????

Ozark Marauder
03-17-2012, 09:00 AM
http://www.nocigtax.com/upload/file/133/pack-chart-large.png

The federal cigarette tax rate is $1.01 per pack. President Obama signed a 62-cent increase into law on February 4, 2009. In addition to the federal cigarette tax, states, and cities also charge taxes on cigarettes.

http://www.nocigtax.com/tax-facts/federal

DOOM
03-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Only thing I smoke is GOODYEARS! :lol:

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad47/DOOMIE/dc85f0ec.jpg

CBT
03-17-2012, 09:28 AM
I still say it looks like you pulled a hit and run on the Sta-Puft Marshmallow man. :beer:

Only thing I smoke is GOODYEARS! :lol:

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad47/DOOMIE/dc85f0ec.jpg