PDA

View Full Version : Maruader Replacement??

Patrick
02-02-2004, 07:20 PM
While watching the Super Bowl (and Janet!) the were showing the Ford GT40 and wow!!!! So I went to Kelly Blue Book to see if they had anything. Not alot. But I would figure $100,000 easy!!! Maybe when I hit the Lotto!!!

But I found the Mercury Montego? Concept pics look good. They say it will be ready in 2005.

But the pics cant compete with what I GOT!!! :bows:

Here is the short article and let you all decide!

Sedan Market

For those who thought that the rebirth of the V8-powered Marauder was just a fluke, you better look again. Mercury has just released its intention to bring another performance sedan to the market, one that will forever banish the image of the stoic Sable sedan and replace it with a name that will soon rival the Maximas and Passats of the world: get ready for the all-new Montego.

Based on the same platform as the upcoming Ford 500, the Montego will entice customers with its blend of technical sophistication, adept road handling and stylish good looks. The Montego will be available with either front-wheel or all-wheel drive and will be powered by a 3.0-liter V6 engine. Transmission choices include a new CVT (continuously variable transmission) developed by Ford in conjunction with world-renowned transmission manufacturer ZF. No word if a manual transmission is on the option list, but we can always hope.

The Montego will feature state-of-the-art safety equipment, including anti-lock brakes, a side-curtain airbag head protection system and advanced traction control. Other advanced features add to the Montego’s sense of style and distinction, such as the standard HID headlights and LED tail lamp arrays. Inside, look for rich materials and two-tone dashboards (soon to become a Mercury trademark) with aluminum brushed accents and brightly backlite switchgear.

TAF
02-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Patrick,

For ALL things regarding the GT...speak to BillyGman.

For my replacement...I'd trade for THIS in a heartbeat!!!!http://www.alltheweb.com/r?ck_sm=7df0d7f3&rpos=10&oid=-&rpge=1&ref=200340086&r=http%3A%2F%2Fa332.g.akamai.n et%2Ff%2F332%2F936%2F12h%2Fwww .edmunds.com%2Fmedia%2F2003%2F naias%2Fford.427%2Fford.427.en g.500.jpghttp://www.alltheweb.com/r?ck_sm=8e11d19e&rpos=4&oid=-&rpge=1&ref=200340086&r=http%3A%2F%2Fa332.g.akamai.n et%2Ff%2F332%2F936%2F12h%2Fwww .edmunds.com%2Fmedia%2F2003%2F naias%2Fford.427%2Fford.427.f3 4.500.jpg

Silver_04
02-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Did I miss something-the Marauder is going bye bye and the new performer is a front wheel drive or AWD V-6. Que? I'm grateful I was able to buy an MM.

MapleLeafMerc
Anything that stems the rice flow is good. Buy North American.

UAW 588
While watching the Super Bowl (and Janet!) the were showing the Ford GT40 and wow!!!! So I went to Kelly Blue Book to see if they had anything. Not alot. But I would figure $100,000 easy!!! Maybe when I hit the Lotto!!!

But I found the Mercury Montego? Concept pics look good. They say it will be ready in 2005.

But the pics cant compete with what I GOT!!! :bows:

Here is the short article and let you all decide!

Sedan Market

For those who thought that the rebirth of the V8-powered Marauder was just a fluke, you better look again. Mercury has just released its intention to bring another performance sedan to the market, one that will forever banish the image of the stoic Sable sedan and replace it with a name that will soon rival the Maximas and Passats of the world: get ready for the all-new Montego.

Based on the same platform as the upcoming Ford 500, the Montego will entice customers with its blend of technical sophistication, adept road handling and stylish good looks. The Montego will be available with either front-wheel or all-wheel drive and will be powered by a 3.0-liter V6 engine. Transmission choices include a new CVT (continuously variable transmission) developed by Ford in conjunction with world-renowned transmission manufacturer ZF. No word if a manual transmission is on the option list, but we can always hope.

The Montego will feature state-of-the-art safety equipment, including anti-lock brakes, a side-curtain airbag head protection system and advanced traction control. Other advanced features add to the Montego’s sense of style and distinction, such as the standard HID headlights and LED tail lamp arrays. Inside, look for rich materials and two-tone dashboards (soon to become a Mercury trademark) with aluminum brushed accents and brightly backlite switchgear.

FYI this car and the 500 are based on a Volvo platform. The plant I work at is producing 100% of the sheet metal that will go onto this vehicles. You have heard the term built FORD tough, well they are not kidding with this one. The doors alone are so ridged. I've had the oppurtunity to work on these lines for a trial run before launch. I've also talked and seen a few guys at work after doing weld checks on these babies. They come out of the weld check booth sweating bullits, and it's the middle of winter. The car seems to have alot of safety features and new things FORD hasn't toyed with. I just hope it sells well, because our plant put all of its eggs in one basket. With a little luck and better advertising than they did with the Marauder, they just might hit a home run. :bows:

TAF
02-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Did I miss something-the Marauder is going bye bye and the new performer is a front wheel drive or AWD V-6. Que? I'm grateful I was able to buy an MM.
Silver,

The Ford 427 is a body-on-frame, rearwheel drive V-10. And I know it was supposedly a "design excercise"...but I want one as bad as Billy wants a GT. Frankly, I would rather have the 427 over the GT...but that's me. And the GT is being produced and "mine's" not...right now...but, I can dream, can't I?

Silver_04
02-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Silver,

The Ford 427 is a body-on-frame, rearwheel drive V-10. And I know it was supposedly a "design excercise"...but I want one as bad as Billy wants a GT. Frankly, I would rather have the 427 over the GT...but that's me. And the GT is being produced and "mine's" not...right now...but, I can dream, can't I?

I'm aware of what the 427 is. My comments were about the Montego not the GT or 427.

TAF
02-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Oh...sorry.

Did I mention how bad I want the 427...like tomorrow...

And, frankly I agree with you. The Montego is a SABLE replacement, like the 500 is to the Taurus. I'd never consider it a replacement to the Marauder.

jgc61sr2002
02-02-2004, 07:56 PM
The new Montego. If FMC can't beat the ricers in sales I guess they will join them. :down:

Patrick
02-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey Todd the Montego doesnt have the look I like. Just Me!Give me the GT40 :bows: :bows:

Patrick
02-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Sorry Todd. I misread your response to your reply. I thought you would trade MM for Montego. Didnt know you were talking about the GT40. :stupid:

Redster
02-02-2004, 08:47 PM
After I bought the MM my wife said that she thinks that she needs a replacement for her Mystique. The Montego would fit the specs. I wonder if they will put out a performance model. Not a MM, maybe a RS or even S-22.
Unfortunately if they do it will probably be a couple of years down the road and besides they didn't even make a SHO Sable. I don't think she will wait.
You should have seen the salesman's reaction when I told him my wife wanted a new car. Sorta like my reaction to Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl.

Bigdogjim
02-03-2004, 01:01 AM
OK guys. Let set the facts in motion. The Ford GT is $150,000.

The V-10 engine goes in the Shellby Cobra.

I belive the GT is powered by 5.4 V-8 pushing 500 HP:)

From Ford's GT web site:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=436 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Engine type:</TD><TD>DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, supercharged V-8</TD></TR><TR><TD>Engine Displacement (L):</TD><TD>5.4</TD></TR><TR><TD>Bore/Stroke (mm):</TD><TD>90.2x105.8</TD></TR><TR><TD>Displacement (cu in/cc):</TD><TD>330/5409</TD></TR><TR><TD>Compression Ratio (in/mm):</TD><TD>8.4:1</TD></TR><TR><TD>Material:</TD><TD>All Aluminum</TD></TR><TR><TD>Horsepower @ RPM:</TD><TD>500@6,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>Torque @ RPM (lb ft):</TD><TD>500@4,500</TD></TR><TR><TD>Horsepower Specific Output (hp/liter):</TD><TD>92.6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Torque Specific Output (lb ft/liter):</TD><TD>92.6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Recommended Fuel:</TD><TD>91 octane (premium)</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fuel System:</TD><TD>Sequential multi-port electronic fuel injection -(SEFI) with dual injectors per cylinder</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oil Capacity with Filter (quarts):</TD><TD>10</TD></TR><TR><TD>Usable Fuel Capacity (gal):</TD><TD>18</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/images/spacer.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=442 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Where will the Ford GT be priced?

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/images/FORDGT_2_Ax.gif</TD><TD>The final MSRP won't be released until just before the car goes on sale. We are forecasting final MSRP to be under $150,000.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=442 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=442 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>When will the first vehicles arrive at Dealerships?

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/images/FORDGT_2_Ax.gif</TD><TD>Limited production of the Ford GT is projected to start spring 2004 as a 2005 model.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/images/sp.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Petrograde
02-03-2004, 04:45 AM
After I bought the MM my wife said that she thinks that she needs a replacement for her Mystique. The Montego would fit the specs. I wonder if they will put out a performance model. Not a MM, maybe a RS or even S-22.

Yup,... me too Rodster. I was thinking about replacing my wife's Civic with the AWD Montego.

Tom

FordNut
02-03-2004, 04:57 AM
I've been hankering for the GT ever since the concept car came out. Always thought I would eventually build a GT40 kit car but if you can get one ready to go (and better), why go through the trouble. The GT40 has been my all-time favorite car ever. Wifey saw the commercial during the superbowl and said "no way". Says she would rather keep me around awhile instead of collecting my life insurance. But maybe if they make it until '06, then the cars and house will be paid off. That gives me awhile to talk her into it. Just maybe....

RF Overlord
02-03-2004, 10:42 AM
For those who thought that the rebirth of the V8-powered Marauder was just a fluke, you better look again. Mercury has just released its intention to bring another performance sedan to the market,

The Montego will be available with either front-wheel or all-wheel drive and will be powered by a 3.0-liter V6 engine.

Performance sedan?
V6??!!
FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE???!!!

Oh, PLEASE... :shake: :rolleyes: :shake: :rolleyes:

Bigdogjim
02-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Performance sedan?
V6??!!
FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE???!!!

Well said Gort:bows:

Paul T. Casey
02-03-2004, 10:53 AM
I'll stick with the Marauder over the Montego, fullframe and all that, but it'll be nice to see forward thinking coming out of Dearborn again. Supposedly, all the '05 'stangs will be under $20K, the Montego/500 should dent the import market, maybe a full-sized wagon isn't too far behind?

Patrick
02-03-2004, 05:06 PM
That should be a nice car. But the impression I got from reading that small article was that was Mercurys intention. :eek: . What they should do is keep making RWD, V-8's with 400HP!!!!!!! :banana2:

The GT40 :bows: :bows: :bows:

MapleLeafMerc
02-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Could anyone add links to photos of the cars being mentioned? And Todd, was that a GT40 in the pics you posted? I've never seen one.

Redster
02-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Performance sedan?
V6??!!
FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE???!!!

I have 2 rwd, 1 fwd and 1 awd.
My experience.

MM - I'm still learning. Only have 300 miles.
Capri 5.0 - better watch that rear end if it is slick
Mystique - 4 banger, but you can corner flat out
Audi - It would find traction in snail snot.

BillyGman
02-04-2004, 07:33 AM
AAAHHHH, TAF, you surprise me friend w/the lack of Loyalty to the Ford GT. You have desacrated the sacred order of the GT brotherhood!!! IMO the "427 concept" car is a bit eye catching at first glance, but the styling of the GT has it beat, and ofcourse the GT would out handle that blocky looking 427 concept car too. I say that simply because of the handling characteristics of any mid-engine car such as the GT being better than most (if not ALL) front engine cars. Furthermore (you know what's coming, right?) I just Luv the growl of a V8 engine. And as you know, a V-10 engine will never sound like a V8. But to each his own my friend. I guess I can forget about that airline ticket for the ride in a GT, uh?(joking).

BTW, the GT is expected to have a suggested price of about 140-150K, however there is bound to be dealer price gouging due to the rediculously abbreviated production quantity which is said to be 1500 cars per year. I hope that changes.

SergntMac
02-04-2004, 01:06 PM
I want an '05 Mustang so bad, I'd consider getting married again if it would get me one. But, I would not consider getting rid of my MM for anything mentioned here.

That 150 large for the GT, is that before or after rebates?

Fourth Horseman
02-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Silver,

:stupid: I'm with TAF. If they build that 427 I'll be happy to come back as a Ford customer and park one next to my Marauder.

TAF
02-04-2004, 02:59 PM
AAAHHHH, TAF, you surprise me friend w/the lack of Loyalty to the Ford GT. You have desacrated the sacred order of the GT brotherhood!!! IMO the "427 concept" car is a bit eye catching at first glance, but the styling of the GT has it beat, and ofcourse the GT would out handle that blocky looking 427 concept car too. I say that simply because of the handling characteristics of any mid-engine car such as the GT being better than most (if not ALL) front engine cars. Furthermore (you know what's coming, right?) I just Luv the growl of a V8 engine. And as you know, a V-10 engine will never sound like a V8. But to each his own my friend. I guess I can forget about that airline ticket for the ride in a GT, uh?(joking).

BTW, the GT is expected to have a suggested price of about 140-150K, however there is bound to be dealer price gouging due to the rediculously abbreviated production quantity which is said to be 1500 cars per year. I hope that changes.Ah...but Billy, my boy...you forget...I'm an old man (and I need room for a few sets of golf clubs).
The GT is GREAT...the 427 would just be a better "fit" for me.

So...all I have to say to Ford is....MAKE THIS :censor: CAR!!!!!

Dr Caleb
02-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Could anyone add links to photos of the cars being mentioned? And Todd, was that a GT40 in the pics you posted? I've never seen one.

There is some confusion here. The GT-40 was built in the late 60's as a LeMans racer. It won, convincingly. Part of LeMans rules state that if the car is run, it must be made available to the public.

http://www.ford-gt.com/mk2/mk237.html

Rules cahnged after 1968, disallowing the engine in the GT-40. The GT-40 gets it's name because it is 40" high. The 1965-1968 GT-40 could be bought by the public, but there were very few of them, and only in Europe, IIRC.

http://www.ford-gt.com/mk4/index.html

Now, the 2004 Ford GT, is a whopper. Based on the GT-40, it has all the advantages of modern engineering. Polished Aluminum, Carbon Fiber, Magnesium alloys, a 5.4 l Supercharged engine - a real show stopper! :coolman:

I saw a Car and Driver test with the GT vs the Porche GT3 and the Ferrari GT - and not only did it destroy them in all tests, but it's 1/3 the cost of the Porsche ($300,000) and 1/4 of the Ferrari. :bows: :bows: :bows:

http://www.ford-gt.com/gt/index.html

I've wanted one of these babies since I got into cars.

MapleLeafMerc
02-05-2004, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the GT40 pics Dr Caleb. The pic TAF posted is a concept car nicknamed the 427, and the Montego looks like a Mercury-badged 500.