PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh opinions...

magindat
03-20-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm exploring a possible career opportunity in Pittsburgh.

Anyone got any insight on the city? Surroundings? Economic conditions?

Car inspections (emissions)? Taxes? Schools? Weather?

Any personal insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rich

SC Cheesehead
03-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Hey Rich!

Da 'Burg is an interesting city, we used to have a regional office up there and I spent a fair amount of time in the area, I always enjoyed it up there. Definitely a different climate that FL, though.

Baconbit
03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Two words for ya......Primanti Bros.:beer:
The city is beautiful at night(I believe it was voted the most romantic in the US at night)

Awesome places to eat in Pitt.

Not sure on inspections and emissions.

Several bad area of the city but most are inner city, also Hill District is bad area.

Weather is the same as here in Wheeling, WV. I am only about an hour away.

Haggis
03-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Stay away, smog, polution, noise, crummy weather and it is full of Steeler's fans.

SC Cheesehead
03-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Two words for ya......Primanti Bros.:beer:
The city is beautiful at night(I believe it was voted the most romantic in the US at night)

Awesome places to eat in Pitt.

Not sure on inspections and emissions.

Several bad area of the city but most are inner city, also Hill District is bad area.

Weather is the same as here in Wheeling, WV. I am only about an hour away.

Oh yeah, baby!

http://unbreaded.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/primanti-brothers.jpg

:drool:

Plus you're about an hour south of Sharon, PA, home of the Original Quaker Steak and Lube, what's not to love?. ;)

RoyLPita
03-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Hilly terrain, narrow streets, slow speed limits, many cloudy days, and very old homes that are close together exist there. I'm from there but my blood has thinned out after 30 years of living down here. I heard that if you buy a vehicle in PA, the registration expires 30 days prior to the 1st year anniversary.

This could help you decide what county to move to:
http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/changes/faq_customer.pdf

Mr. Man
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Oh yeah, baby!

http://unbreaded.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/primanti-brothers.jpg

:drool:

Plus you're about an hour south of Sharon, PA, home of the Original Quaker Steak and Lube, what's not to love?. ;)
I think I just had a heart attack looking at that :drool::food::nworthy:

SC Cheesehead
03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
I think I just had a heart attack looking at that :drool::food::nworthy:

Definitely da yinzer... ;)

CBT
03-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Come to Virginia.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/03/website-ranks-virginia-best-state-make-living

Cobra25
03-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Hilly terrain, narrow streets, slow speed limits, many cloudy days, and very old homes that are close together exist there. I'm from there but my blood has thinned out after 30 years of living down here. I heard that if you buy a vehicle in PA, the registration expires 30 days prior to the 1st year anniversary.

This could help you decide what county to move to:
http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/changes/faq_customer.pdfI have to agree with Brian . I've been their many time's & have Cousins who live their & near their. The City does have a " Old World Charm " about it which is kinda nice. If you make a move like that from where you are too their I'd ask my self this : I'm I going to like living their ? Is my Quality of Life going to be better ?

guspech750
03-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I've always enjoyed PA and driving through PA.And I've always enjoyed my visits to Pittsburgh.

And they have Pirates, not that they are any good. But it's still baseball.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

SC Cheesehead
03-20-2012, 02:50 PM
I've always enjoyed PA and driving through PA.And I've always enjoyed my visits to Pittsburgh.

And they have Pirates, not that they are any good. But it's still baseball.

Sent from my iPhone

Spoken by a ChiSox fan (and one who should be intimately familiar with that topic... :D)

ctrlraven
03-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Stay away, smog, polution, noise, crummy weather and it is full of Steeler's fans.
Nuff said!

Ms. Denmark
03-20-2012, 04:07 PM
It is actually on the list of great places to retire. Apparently it has made quite a comeback and cleaned itself up. There is a lot to do, a lot of great places to eat and it's very affordable as far as cost of living goes. At least that's what I read. I would check it out.

71cyclone
03-20-2012, 06:21 PM
It is actually on the list of great places to retire. Apparently it has made quite a comeback and cleaned itself up. There is a lot to do, a lot of great places to eat and it's very affordable as far as cost of living goes. At least that's what I read. I would check it out.
I have retired family members living in the Burg / Houses are dirt cheep
Primanti bros is one of many places to eat :beer:

Comin' in Hot
03-20-2012, 06:47 PM
yearly inspections and yes,a dreaded emissions test, basically a fuel cap test and an OBDII check. I got both my vortech and trilogy through, so its not too bad.

Wattman1
03-20-2012, 07:55 PM
I love the 'burgh! The Stillers, Penguins and even the Buccos (of the 70's and 90's though). Plus, Primanti Bros. rocks! I grew up 50 miles from there and plan to return someday...but it's definitely WAY different from Florida.

Go check it out...you never know, you might like it.

guspech750
03-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Spoken by a ChiSox fan (and one who should be intimately familiar with that topic... :D)

So true:(

Except for 2005 :)

But it's back to being so true:(

Sent from my iPhone

SC Cheesehead
03-21-2012, 03:37 AM
So true:(

Except for 2005 :)

But it's back to being so true:(

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, well, as a Brewers fan, I can feel your pain.... :o -----> ;)

magindat
06-22-2012, 08:07 AM
So I've been up twice now for interviews. The last for an entire day's worth of meeting staff. I was taken to lunch - to Primanti's.

:beer:

Ozark Marauder
06-22-2012, 10:02 AM
My sis went to Temple in Philadelphia, PA. She ended up registering and licensing her car at my address in N.C. because of the insurance costs. Could just be it was Philly....

OZ

Cheeseheadbob
06-22-2012, 10:14 AM
I would think being in Philly was the main driver (mild pun intended) in her exorbitant insurance quotes. In the two years I was at Drexel, two of my friends had their cars stolen right in front of the dorms...:shake: My wife graduated from Pitt, and she absolutely loved the city, and I have visited many times for business, and I had a great time, every time. Just don't ask for directions. No one knows how to get anywhere in that town. They just get in the car and drive...
Could just be it was Philly....

OZ

Baconbit
06-22-2012, 08:03 PM
So I've been up twice now for interviews. The last for an entire day's worth of meeting staff. I was taken to lunch - to Primanti's.

:beer:

AAANNNDDDD???????? What did you think??? If you liked it try Fatheads also and the Church Brew Works.

tallpaul
06-23-2012, 04:11 AM
My opinion of Pittsburg...... The Steelers suck!!!

RoyLPita
06-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Rich,
If I knew that you were going to be up there, I would've asked you to bring back a gallon of Blennd.