PDA

View Full Version : 87-gnx

BODYMAN
03-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Been looking at a few Grand Nationals here lately. Possibly gonna buy a new toy & if so narrowed it down to one of these w/ T-Tops of course. Whats you guys thoughts on these??? Since passing on a steal back in 1992 due to a friend getting a divorce I have always wanted one. That & not to mention them always destroying my Fox body at the track lol. Whats youre thoughts??

Haggis
03-20-2012, 10:35 AM
I miss having my '86 GN. If you can get a GNX at a good price go for it. Be sure it is a real GNX and not a clone, plenty of people mad eclones from their GNs.

martyo
03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
GNX's are awesomeness!

BODYMAN
03-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Yea Iam no hurry so just gonna take my time for the right one.. I wont fall into the clone **** either It will be a must that it has all orig documentation.

LANDY
03-20-2012, 11:29 AM
GNX's are the funk! If you get one you might no wanna mod it or enjoy it as you would a regular Grand National. Just my 2cents.

guspech750
03-20-2012, 11:36 AM
A GNX would be awesome.

BUT,

Are you going to drive it and enjoy it or let it waste away in a garage forever never to see the day of light?

I hope you find a GNX maybe with some miles on it so as to not feel guilty about driving it.

And if you do buy one. You have to let me drive it when some of us Chitown guys come on down by you.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Mr. Man
03-20-2012, 11:36 AM
A lot of the GNX's are listed on the GN and GNX registry. A top notch GNX will set you back big time coin but if you have it they only made 547 of them :)

http://www.gnregistry.org/

guspech750
03-20-2012, 11:38 AM
How about a 89 Turbo TA?
That's one of the few cars I'd take over a GNX.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

BODYMAN
03-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah if I get one it will be driven I dont care for leavin cars in the garage. Heck since building last MM Ive put just under 20,xxx in a year. I wont be looking at a low mileage pristine one just a fair mileage good shape one & mods wise just the simple bolt on's.

GAMike
03-20-2012, 12:39 PM
I forget the steps, but you can make a Grand National perform like a GNX and beyond, pretty easily. Might negate the need to step into a GNX. As others have said, they are quite pricy.... Never seen one for under $50k....

A buddy of mine bought an 87 GN brand new, and the only issues he had were a leaky T top (not unusual for GM's of mid 80's vintage), and a couple U - joint replacement that a balanced drive shaft might help with....
Other than that, at the time that car was lights out stock, and can run high 11's with just a lil tweaking.:banana2:
Good luck! Hope you find a nice one!:burnout:

Davesvt2000
03-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Remember, the GNX does NOT come with T tops, just the GN does.

1 Bad Merc
03-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Get a low mileage GN with t-tops and make it into a GNX! Their are a few differences but for the money it would be cheaper to clone one and you would have just as much fun!

MOTOWN
03-20-2012, 01:16 PM
If you can find a real GNX its going to bring a pretty penny, the last one i saw was 70k! at a minimum your looking at 50K or more, they only made like 300 GNXs if that many, my buick was the fastest car i have ever owned, good luck with your search.

Tore Back
03-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Dont go with t-tops 100% not worth. and no buick will run 11's stock i dont care how its tweaked lol. one day i hope to have 100k to buy that 7 mile gnx and drive the piss out of it. i slod mine for 2500 last september great car other than t-tops and burgandy interior.

hotford
03-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Well i can tell ya from my experience stay away from the T-tops as they leak,a moonroof is more desireable..........and harder to find..........
as for the GNX the you wont like the ride compared to the GN, the GN also will hook better and are reasonable,The GNX will only drop in value if modified, or driven with miles..........
Get the GN you will be happier................

hotford
03-20-2012, 07:12 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/hotford/photo.jpg

If your looking the 86 GN with 16,00 miles and all original except tires is for sale,hard top car with digital climate control,its the one above the other 87 moonroof one....lol

BODYMAN
03-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Hotford Ill send ya a PM. Is that a Typhoon in that pic also. From some comments this is why i wanted some feedback. Also Iam aware If I decide on a GNX to prepare the wallet. But it will be something I drive so a GN may be more suitable to me.

BODYMAN
03-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Didnt see that lettering in pic at 1st. Whats up with that Typhoon?

GAMike
03-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Dont go with t-tops 100% not worth. and no buick will run 11's stock i dont care how its tweaked lol. one day i hope to have 100k to buy that 7 mile gnx and drive the piss out of it. i slod mine for 2500 last september great car other than t-tops and burgandy interior.

Tore........ Its pretty common knowledge that the GN's run a 13.9 sec. 1/4 mile bone stock... Its also common knowledge that you can get them to run in the 11's with bolt ons only. You may not care...... But dems da facts brudda............ Pretty sure YouTube has more than a few vids of GN's in the 11's with very minor tweaks.

You are new here and I hope you like the website, but just know that the people you interact with here, are very precise folks with lots of automotive (and worldly) experience (for the most part)....... They usually have their facts straight before posting up... In other words, we don't talk out our azz...... Unless we are "talking out our azz".

There are proper ways to take issue with information that people have presented, especially when the person taking issue is new to the scene.......... Not saying don't..... I am saying don't post your point of conflict, like everyone here has known you for years:o....... In a couple years of being here, sure..... Fire away:D

Sure not everyone follows the decorum that exists on MM.net and other sites, but most here do. I personally hate taking what people post the wrong way, but felt it important to share this out of consideration for you and your enjoyment of MM.net. Would hate for folks to take something you have posted the wrong way, and have a shi@% storm bust out:beatnik:.

Again, welcome in:beer:

Mike M
03-20-2012, 09:39 PM
My stock T-type ran 14.20s, with a chip and sticky street tires it ran 12.98. Stock air filter, stock muffler etc.

Don't buy a car with a hole in the roof...never never never.

The GNX wasn't really that much faster...certainly not worth the extra money. After a $250 chip my car is faster then a stock GNX.

MOTOWN
03-20-2012, 09:43 PM
My buick ran 9.32 with t tops, and a 10 point roll cage, and 274ci stroked stage 2! lol

Mike M
03-20-2012, 10:17 PM
My buick ran 9.32 with t tops, and a 10 point roll cage, and 274ci stroked stage 2! lol

Oh my!!!!!!

GAMike
03-20-2012, 10:51 PM
My stock T-type ran 14.20s, with a chip and sticky street tires it ran 12.98. Stock air filter, stock muffler etc.

The GNX wasn't really that much faster...certainly not worth the extra money. After a $250 chip my car is faster then a stock GNX.

Back in 87 I forget which of the two (R&T or C&D) claimed 4.9 0-60, and 13.9 1/4, but depending on where the test took place, I'm sure one would have a variance to the numbers another source generates.

Could not find the link to the old test I reference, so check these out instead:):banana2: For the record.... That picture with the Typhoon and the 2 GN's had me drooling:)

http://www.insideline.com/buick/regal/2011/1987-buick-regal-grand-national-vs-2011-buick-regal-cxl-turbo.html

http://www.carforums.net/showthread.php?10251-Stock-1-4-mile-and-0-60-times

hotford
03-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Didnt see that lettering in pic at 1st. Whats up with that Typhoon?
well its forsale if your interested.......
low mileage,original tires and all...............

SID210SA
03-23-2012, 05:44 AM

Why?

My car has a hole in the roof....and I love it!! I use it every chance I get:banana2:

BTW I may or may not know some one who may or may not be selling his 87 GN.....its a great looking car and lots of shiney parts under the hood.

I think he is still undecided, but I am sure for the right price he can be persuaded.

wickedmerc
03-23-2012, 06:25 AM
How about a 89 Turbo TA?
That's one of the few cars I'd take over a GNX.

The '89 Turbo T/A was the fastest production Trans Am until the LS1's showed up in the late 90's. Awesome car! Check out this specimen on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-PONTIAC-TRANS-AM-TURBO-TA-LOW-18K-MILES-3-8L-TURBO-GRAND-NATIONAL-MOTOR-/220969133680?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3372c96670

To the OP, if that Turbo T/A doesn't float your boat, I vote for a standard '87 GN. I'd rock the t-tops personally, but I've heard numerous times that they can leak. Especially once you start modding and the body twist becomes greater. I recall hearing urban legend back in the late 80's/early 90's of folks modding their GN, hookin' hard and popping a t-top out of the car. Never seen it, just heard about it.

Good luck with your "toy" search. That's as fun as it gets right there!

Paul T. Casey
03-23-2012, 06:38 AM
well its forsale if your interested.......
low mileage,original tires and all...............

Where you at, and what you want? I know of some Mongo Typhoon fanbois here in 'Bama. 0-60 in 5 seconds... in the rain.

BODYMAN
03-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Man that T/A is a nice one! I havent decided 100% for sure but it is looking like Ill probably get a reg 87 GN. Just need to sell of some other toys 1st. Ill probably look for a mid mileage unmolested to start with and go from there thats unless something already done up and done right comes along for right price. Them Typoon's & Cyclones are neat I knew a guy who used to have one and man that would come out the hole like a monster.

hotford
03-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Ya your right the TYPHOONS AND SYCLONES are jack rabbits out of the hole......

But if your gonna get one make sure you spell Syclone this way as if you do it the old ford way they will bash you.............lol

Odinson
03-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Wow I had no idea there was a turbo GNX platform for a 89 Trans Am.

Marauder onwers have to be the biggest bunch of motorheads ever to walk the earth. :)

hotford
03-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Wow I had no idea there was a turbo GNX platform for a 89 Trans Am.

Marauder onwers have to be the biggest bunch of motorheads ever to walk the earth. :)
YUP turbo T/A only available in 89...........

slick rick
03-23-2012, 12:01 PM
I just bought a 88k mile 87 gn and would not trade it for the world.

Crown Vicman
03-23-2012, 12:39 PM
I forget the steps, but you can make a Grand National perform like a GNX and beyond, pretty easily. Might negate the need to step into a GNX. As others have said, they are quite pricy.... Never seen one for under $50k....

A buddy of mine bought an 87 GN brand new, and the only issues he had were a leaky T top (not unusual for GM's of mid 80's vintage), and a couple U - joint replacement that a balanced drive shaft might help with....
Other than that, at the time that car was lights out stock, and can run high 11's with just a lil tweaking.:banana2:
Good luck! Hope you find a nice one!:burnout:
11s? How can a 14 second car run 11s with a little tweaking?:bs:

LANDY
03-23-2012, 12:42 PM
11s? How can a 14 second car run 11s with a little tweaking?:bs:with a great platform, turbo, tuning, the right bolt on mods and a tune. I have seen it happen with an 86 GN. To make it better it took less than 3grand

BODYMAN
03-23-2012, 12:46 PM
with a great platform, turbo, tuning, the right bolt on mods and a tune. I have seen it happen with an 86 GN. To make it better it took less than 3grand

YEP! Ussually around 2400 gets them into the 11's They were built to be modded. Not to mention thats a good Turbo set up for ya. Gotta love them Turbo's

BODYMAN
03-23-2012, 12:48 PM

You need to read more man. Look on u-tube youll see. Hard to call it BS when they have been doing it since 87..:rolleyes:

Tore Back
03-23-2012, 06:52 PM
ya I didn't want to split any hairs but I know the cars and just wanted to double back to the and I quote " lights out bone stock". 11's are easy for a buick but if some one is interested in a car there not to familiar with they can't think any stocker with a chip will hit even high 13's.
just sayin brudda

BATMOBIL
03-23-2012, 07:34 PM
I've been checking the comments about the GN. They are some pretty nice cars. I got rid of my 86 GN just to get the BATMOBIL (MM) and wouldn't part with it for ANYTHING! Love my MARAUDER!!

BODYMAN
03-23-2012, 08:11 PM
I for one would never think about getting rid of my MM for one that would never happen!! But for a 2nd Toy Iam liking the option. Although cant believe Iam seriuosly toying with the idea of a non Ford product.

GAMike
03-23-2012, 08:26 PM

As far as building cars? I don't know "jack" next to Bodyman, or Landy....:bows:

I do know specs however, and I am a fair driver (Landy is one of the best "shoes" I know) That said, when I talk specs on a car or type of car, folks won't often catch me talkin out my azz...........

I have driven everything from built cars to exotics.... Around town and at speed...... If I post up sumthin and ya don't want to take my word for it? I won't be upset. But if a guy like Landy comes in, or Bodyman for that matter and corroborates my info? Brudda, take it to DA BANK:D They both have long history on this board, and know... Me?

I'm just GAMike and I like to go fast.... Real fast.... Nice to meet ya:D

Tore Back
03-23-2012, 09:46 PM
for sure brudda

BATMOBIL
03-23-2012, 11:23 PM
The GN is a blast to drive and gets lots of attention. If i could've kept it i would. The very first time i test drove the MM i knew the GN had to go. Everything i own now is GM except my MM!!!

Baaad GN
03-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Very intersting comments! That GN on the rack looks like a car for sale at World of Motorworks, check out WWW.Worldofmotorworks.com (http://www.Worldofmotorworks.com). I know Paul Castle has various cars for sale.

Ladyhawke
03-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Now I want a GN again...urgh!!!

~Haggis

Mr. Man
03-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Now I want a GN again...urgh!!!

~Haggis
Well Chris just got a new car so that means you should at least be able to buy an old one;)

slick rick
03-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Sorry but my GN is way more fun than my MM.

BODYMAN
03-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Hence why Iam gonna be looking for one (cause fun cars) however with the power the MM of mine puts out plus the comfort it is still my top choice personally. But interesting you choose the GN over the MM that tells me Iam making a good choice on a 2nd toy.