PDA

View Full Version : Where to Eat in Philadelphia?

N40GL
03-21-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm going to a concert this Saturday at Verizon Hall/Kimmel Center (Peter Nero and the Philly Pops - Symphonic Surfin' Safari with Papa Doo Run Run). Concert's at 3, and I thought I'd grab a decent dinner before driving home. I know Wolfgang Puck has a catering thing going on there, but that still somehow seems like 'movie food,' no matter whose name is on it.

Any recommendations from the Philadelphia folks (or those that know Philadelphia)? Walking distance is probably best, since I don't want to pay for parking more than once.

Comin' in Hot
03-21-2012, 07:16 AM
If you are only here once, you have to do that Pat's/Geno's cheesesteak experience. its located at the intersection of South 9th Stret, Wharton Street and East Passyunk Avenue in South Philly. Geno's has the looks, but Pat's is the original and the one I prefer, and parking is free.

Bluerauder
03-21-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm going to a concert this Saturday at Verizon Hall/Kimmel Center.

260 South Broad Street is in "Center City" Philadelphia. You will be located at essentially (Spruce and Broad Street [consider that Broad Street = 14th Street (i.e. between 13th and 15th). You'll be 5 blocks south of City Hall and 14 blocks west of the riverfront.

Bliss, Cadence and the Capitol Grille are all close depending on your tastes.

Check the link for restaurants in Center City >>>> http://www.philadelphia.com/restaurants/

GAMike
03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
If you are only here once, you have to do that Pat's/Geno's cheesesteak experience. its located at the intersection of South 9th Stret, Wharton Street and East Passyunk Avenue in South Philly. Geno's has the looks, but Pat's is the original and the one I prefer, and parking is free.

Big +1 there!!! Pat's is One!!! Extra Wiz without.... Hots on the side Yea!:D

SC Cheesehead
03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Big +1 there!!! Pat's is One!!! Extra Wiz without.... Hots on the side Yea!:D

Oh yeah! :drool: ----------> :food:

WhatsUpDOHC
03-21-2012, 10:34 AM
260 South Broad Street is in "Center City" Philadelphia. You will be located at essentially (Spruce and Broad Street [consider that Broad Street = 14th Street (i.e. between 13th and 15th). You'll be 5 blocks south of City Hall and 14 blocks west of the riverfront.

Bliss, Cadence and the Capitol Grille are all close depending on your tastes.

Check the link for restaurants in Center City >>>> http://www.philadelphia.com/restaurants/

At the Kimmel Center, you're also 4 blocks east from Rittenhouse Square (18th Street - Broad is also 14th Street).

You really can't go wrong with the restaurants in the area.

If you like a Belgian type Pub with a ton of beer selections and great Mussel dishes, Monk's Cafe is just off Rittenhouse Square:

www.monkscafe.com

I'll ask around for other options as I haven't been in Philly for a while.

Mark

jflave
03-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Estia's 1400 blook of Locust, great stop...... Davio's 17th south of Chestnut or Capital Grill @ Broad & Chestnut, Good steaks & Italian...... McCormick & Schmick on Broad at city hall or the old Oyster House 1500 block of Samson both good seafood......Italian Bistro 200 block S.Broad, less $$ & good. Have a great day.

Vortex
03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I lived in South Philly when my ship was in the yards back in the 70's and two places I recommend are Pat's Steaks (the real thing) and the Melrose Diner on Passyunk (I bet it's still there).

whitey
03-21-2012, 10:46 AM
pats! "don't eat a mis-steak". 'wiz wit', and some cherry peppers on the side!

pats breaks up the steak, geno's doesnt, pats FTW

Mr. Man
03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Think about brown bagging it, then you won't have to pay city dinner prices:D

slickster
03-21-2012, 11:47 AM

Big plus one like a boss. Just came from there last week will try to post pics later. Just so you don't appear to be a noob order a wiz with

DOOM
03-21-2012, 11:55 AM

That's where I want to go!

We tried to organize a meet there but I heard parking is impossible!! :banghead: :argh:

Comin' in Hot
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
That's where I want to go!

We tried to organize a meet there but I heard parking is impossible!! :banghead: :argh:
parking is always a nightmare, unless we go at 430 in the morning...if you want to do it, let me know, i'll be there.

jflave
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
He wants to walk from Verizon Hall to have dinner. :)

N40GL
03-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Hey! Thanks for all the recommendations.

I think, for this trip, I'll pass on Cheesesteak. I've had (and really like) just about all the Philly Cheesesteaks I've ever had (my Dad was born/raised in Jenkintown, and I used to get up there a bit for relatives), but I'm looking for something a little more "sit down" than that, and not a branch of some other place. I can eat at McCormick's just about anywhere, so it doesn't make much sense to me to visit Mc&S this trip.

Here's what's been listed so far, with the UrbanSpoon ("US") rating, in order:

The Old Oyster House (US: 95%)
Estia's (US: 94%)
Monks Cafe (US: 90%)
Capital Grille (mentioned twice above) (US:89%)
Pat's Steaks (US: 86%)
Davio's (US: 78%)
Melrose Diner (US: 73%)
Bliss (US: 60%)
Cadence (US: 0% w/3 votes)
The Italian Bistro (US: Says it's closed!)

Based on this, I think I'll head to the Oyster House (on Sansome), with Capitol Grille (on Chestnut) as a backup. Any reason I shouldn't walk to these?

fastblackmerc
03-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Might want to check out Diners, Dives and Drive-ins, aka "Triple D' for places Guy has visited in Philly.

http://www.flavortownusa.com/locations.aspx?state=PA

GAMike
03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Is Bookbinders still around?:o I know back in the day, it was the Spago of Philly. Don't know if its still operating or any good any more if it is....

X369
03-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Bookbinders is gone; the owner was a member here (JET). If you like Italian / Mediterranean try Varrali's at Broad and Locust, a block north of the Kimmel Center.

Ron

bigdhasmoney
03-21-2012, 04:26 PM
I loooovvvveee triple D... Man vs. Food went to a GIGANTIC food market in philly, forgot what it was called!!! But they also have good cheese steak

Bluerauder
03-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Is Bookbinders still around?:o I know back in the day, it was the Spago of Philly. Don't know if its still operating or any good any more if it is....

Bookbinders is gone; the owner was a member here (JET). If you like Italian / Mediterranean try Varrali's at Broad and Locust, a block north of the Kimmel Center.

Ron

Bookbinder's in Phila was at 2nd and Walnut. That's a bit of a hike to and from Broad Street anyhow. Was right around the corner when I worked at the Custom House for the Corps of Engineers.

Chick
03-21-2012, 05:28 PM
forget the melrose dinner,it changed owners,it stinks.try Scannicchio`s at 2500 S Broad st. P:215-468-3900 or Ristorante Pesto at 1915 S Broad st. P:215-336-8380.they are both very good restorants. Just a short cab drive from the Kimmel Center.I would call for reservations.

SamF
03-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Maybe I missed it but nobody mentioned The Palm???....right on Broad and good eats... :D

http://www.thepalm.com/Philadelphia

WhatsUpDOHC
03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Hey! Thanks for all the recommendations.

I think, for this trip, I'll pass on Cheesesteak. I've had (and really like) just about all the Philly Cheesesteaks I've ever had (my Dad was born/raised in Jenkintown, and I used to get up there a bit for relatives), but I'm looking for something a little more "sit down" than that, and not a branch of some other place. I can eat at McCormick's just about anywhere, so it doesn't make much sense to me to visit Mc&S this trip.

Here's what's been listed so far, with the UrbanSpoon ("US") rating, in order:

The Old Oyster House (US: 95%)
Estia's (US: 94%)
Monks Cafe (US: 90%)
Capital Grille (mentioned twice above) (US:89%)
Pat's Steaks (US: 86%)
Davio's (US: 78%)
Melrose Diner (US: 73%)
Bliss (US: 60%)
Cadence (US: 0% w/3 votes)
The Italian Bistro (US: Says it's closed!)

Based on this, I think I'll head to the Oyster House (on Sansome), with Capitol Grille (on Chestnut) as a backup. Any reason I shouldn't walk to these?

Depends on what you want - Sounds like you're planning a nice evening.

Treat yourself to a nice dinner (within walking distance).

You can't go wrong with your choices - Bon Appetit!

Make reservations.

Mark

Guittard22
03-22-2012, 04:46 AM
This could help you out a little .

http://www.phillymag.com/restaurants/the_philly_mag_50/index.html

GAMike
03-22-2012, 05:16 AM
Bookbinder's in Phila was at 2nd and Walnut. That's a bit of a hike to and from Broad Street anyhow. Was right around the corner when I worked at the Custom House for the Corps of Engineers.

Thanks Blue.... As you can see, its been a few years since I spent quality time in Philly:)