PDA

View Full Version : Career move, advice needed

loud2004marquis
03-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could give me any advise on getting into auto painting and or collision repair?

Looking to get into a more stable career and these appeal to me.

Anyone here work in these fields?

Thanks in advance.

Spectragod
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
I did for 16 years, glad to get into a job with regular weekly pay and benefits. You can make killer money doing paint and body repair, I did, no insurance(that was worth anything), no retirement, get to work with a bunch of drinkers and dope smokers, you will never stop buying tools, your lungs and body will get tore up, that's just a few of the side effects, the good side, I made lots-o-money, 18 years ago I was making 90+ a year, it too can be yours...... good luck.

And yes, I was a kid when I got started in that industry, a buddy of mine's dad owned a body shop, so I learned for a couple of years and was working when I was 16.

F8LBITEva
03-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Painting cars is where the money's at but im sure its got carcinogens out the ass. My body guys make over $120K each here in Northern VA. I do collision estimating and it pays pretty good too!

Bobmiddle
03-22-2012, 10:49 AM
+1^^^^^^^
I manage a family run shop. Even in the front office incurance co try to manage your business and tell you how to repair cars and what they will pay for and not pay for.. Paying less and less hours for the same opperation.

1 Bad Merc
03-22-2012, 12:04 PM
I sure dont know many old car painters.......just sayin.