PDA

View Full Version : rotors and brakes

Guittard22
03-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Took my tire off to find that my rotors and brakes look super bad and should be replaced :( I would like to know from you guys what Kind of rotors and brakes should I buy? Also should I do the work myself or Dealer? I will post on CV.NET this weekend also.

I have a 2000 Crown Victoria p71

MOTOWN
03-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Why pay some one else if you can do it your self? save that cash! i run R1concepts rotors, and wagner thermo quiet ceramic pads with excellent results!

tbone
03-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Ebay has tons of great deals. Check it out.

Guittard22
03-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Why pay some one else if you can do it your self? save that cash! i run R1concepts rotors, and wagner thermo quiet ceramic pads with excellent results!

more info please :burnout:they have a web-site or ebay-site. how about cost?

MOTOWN
03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Here ya go! http://www.r1concepts.com/mercury-marauder-2004-brakes.htm

screamn
03-22-2012, 04:37 PM
I installed Powerslot rotors on the front of my 1999 P71 with wagner semi-metalic pads about 6 years ago.

Rotors were heavy duty and outweighed the stock ones.

The price was also reasonable. I got them from an outlet online and not directly from powerslot.

The shipping on the other hand was kinda expensive as I reside in Hawaii.

I also remember that "Wes" from Innovative Interceptors was selling them before he closed up shop.

The brakes felt way better and more positive when stopping after the rotors were installed.

gdsqdcr
03-22-2012, 05:36 PM
I have R1 rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

Course as we put it back together the Ebrake pad fell off ... I hate drum brakes-I am paying to have that done.

yjmud
03-22-2012, 08:17 PM
I think you should pay someone else to do it it might be too tricky

capt512
03-23-2012, 07:14 AM
I did my first brake job on my 01 CV, the shortly after did my 00CV (neither with ABS) and it was very easy IMO, the rear rotors had to be beat off, but otherwise easy. However the parking brake I wouldn't want to mess with. I used R1 rotors (slotted and drilled) and Hawk Pads (hated them due to squeal), will be using Napa Ceramix on my MM when I do them this summer.

fastblackmerc
03-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Took my tire off to find that my rotors and brakes look super bad and should be replaced :( I would like to know from you guys what Kind of rotors and brakes should I buy? Also should I do the work myself or Dealer? I will post on CV.NET this weekend also.

I have a 2000 Crown Victoria p71

I'd stay away from eBay stuff for my brakes.

Try one of the vendors here....

http://www.knsbrakes.com/

tbone
03-23-2012, 10:10 AM
I'd stay away from eBay stuff for my brakes.

Try one of the vendors here....

http://www.knsbrakes.com/

Why? I got my R1's from ebay. Also my sons and wifes rotors/pads and everything is great.
3 sets, no problems.

MOTOWN
03-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Why? I got my R1's from ebay. Also my sons and wifes rotors/pads and everything is great.
3 sets, no problems.

Agreed! hell half my car is from fleabay!:bandit:

steve fox
03-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Interesting post considering the MM (and CV) have too little mass in the rotors relative to the heat required to be dissipated. I have run NAPA Ultra Premium Rotors (United manufacture) with the NAPA Ultra Premium ceramic pads on both CV and MM. Braking performance is acceptable but rotor warping is a continual problem.
I have noticed a decline in rotor life beginning some years ago when the previously acceptable standard NAPA rotor began to warp within 10,000 miles. The (of course more expensive) Ultra Premium rotors worked well until lately when they have begun to warp within a short time also. The decline seems to accompany the outsourcing from Canada (or USA) to China. Anyway NAPA has introduced a new Reactive 1 rotor with symmetrical grooves (still a non directional rotor) and an enhanced metallurgy. My discussion with the NAPA tech rep today yielded an interesting point I had not heard. Steve from Raylock (apparently the brake pad manufacturer for NAPA) told me ceramic pads do not dissipate heat as well as semi-metallics. He suggested a NAPA Reactive 1 rotor with UP 7834 SD (front) and UP 7835 (rear) pads. I will put these on ASAP. We shall see if they work.

jwibbity
03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
R1 ftw!!!!!!!!!

fastblackmerc
03-23-2012, 02:31 PM
3 sets, no problems.

Just my personal opinion..... brakes are too important....

Agreed! hell half my car is from fleabay!:bandit:

I have alot of non-critical parts from eBay also.

Guittard22
03-25-2012, 10:58 AM

Why are front Rotors more money than Rear ones?

capt512
03-25-2012, 10:59 AM
The front rotors are larger.

fastblackmerc
03-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Save up your pennies and go with the TCE +1 kit..... Your MM will thank you for it!

Guittard22
03-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Save up your pennies and go with the TCE +1 kit..... Your MM will thank you for it!

This is for a Crown Victoria I am still looking for my 1st mm but will look into that brand when I get one thanks for your time in reading and helping .

MOTOWN
03-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Why are front Rotors more money than Rear ones?

The front rotors do most of the stoping, and as said are larger than the rears