PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip

gdsqdcr
03-28-2012, 04:12 PM
My wife and I have decided to take a road trip this summer with our three boys. Ages are 6, almost 5 and almost 3. We are traveling in June and will leave our home in Pleasant Hill and head out to Yellowstone.

Question for the collective ... suggestions of things to see or do on the way? The two older ones are into trains and Fire Apparatus.

The route I am looking at is 80E through Nevada and head North on 93 at Wells, NV. At Twin Citys, ID veer East and follow 25/91 to West Yellowstone MT.

On the way back, thinking about heading South to Salk Lake City, and then West on 80 back home.

We will not take the Marauder, as we are camping at Yellowstone. The trunk is not big enough. Plus, since we are taking the truck (04 GMC Sierra Crew Z71), we can go off roading if the opportunity presents itself, like maybe Atomic City, ID.

Any thoughts are appreciated and welcome. :beer:
Anthony

88LTDCV351
03-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Stay at Little America. Kody Firearms Museum Buffalo Bill Historical Center.

88LTDCV351
03-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Donner State Park is also along I80.

88LTDCV351
03-28-2012, 05:18 PM
My former boss did a trip up there not long ago. She might have some insight so I'll ask her.

gdsqdcr
03-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Let me know.

Been to Donner State Park before. The plan is actually to just blow through California and see what is outside of the state.

Little America looks nice. May do that on the return trip ... would be a nice place to freshen up after 4-5 days camping.

Ms. Denmark
03-29-2012, 04:21 PM

gdsqdcr
03-29-2012, 04:30 PM
My parents took us on car trips across the country when I was a kid. They are some of my most cherished childhood memories. I'm sure your kids will feel the same. It's really a wonderful gift that you are giving them, Anthony.

Thanks! 2 years ago we did a 5 week road trip out to Texas and back. 6000 miles, lots of smiles and good times. We 4-wheeled, drove through rivers, pastures, sleet, hail ... Awesome. Saw some the best lightening storms in Texas -- just like what i imagined Mordor to look like.

Mr. Man
03-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Utah has some wonderful Nat'l parks and if you have the time would be worth a peruse. Western Wyoming has the Tetons and Jackson Hole is a hip town(S. of the park). Since you have time you might want to check with the Chamber of Commerce in each state you are going to pass through. They will list many events that are going on and you might see one that is family friendly.

On another note you might want to leave the kids I-pads and whatnot home so they will actually see some of America.:)

gdsqdcr
03-31-2012, 05:11 PM
The kids don't have I-pads or anything like that. We are driving as a family, we are talking and seeing the United States. They enjoyed the drive to Texas ... course one day, we saw a train. So we raced ahead, pulled off an exit, and drove through the brush till we got 30 yards from the tracks. From there, we got out of the truck and watched the ~150 car train go by. Awesome experience!

88LTDCV351
04-01-2012, 01:09 PM
From my former boss:

Yellowstone Park has a great website http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

I would plan on spending at least 3 full days to see all of the sites and to get up early to drive to see some animals most likely out in the morning, bears, wolves. It is a huge park and lots to see. It really is best to take a lot of time to see it vs rushing through it. Savor it.

You can stay in the Park but might be tough to get a reservation. Lakeside village in the park is a good location. Outside of the park, I recommend West Yellowstone as this is more convenient to see most of the sites from there. We stayed in Gardiner, the north entrance. It is just a longer drive to see things. We were there a week.

Other sites to see:
On the way, must stop in Jackson Wyoming for 1 or 2 days. Drive up into Jackson from the south through Swan Valley and Alpine which is absolutely beautiful!

Must see the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, Wyoming. It is about a one hour drive east of Yellowstone park. I also recommend the trolley site seeing tour around Cody to get the history of the area.

Take side trips to Montana to see Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, dinosauer exhibits.

A lot of folks went to Mt. Rushmore from Yellowstone.