PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to share

PonyUP
03-31-2012, 06:46 PM
In my current apartment complex, I'm not allowed to grill on the patio. I could in the driveway, but the one car attached garage makes it tough to navigate the grill around the Marauder.
I made this tonight via inside grill and oven, it turned out real good. Made a great marinade for the shrimp, seared the steaks on the grill then hit them up in the oven after being seasoned for 5 hours at room temperature. Any other tips for cooking ribeyes domestically?

Pony seal of Approval

massacre
03-31-2012, 07:09 PM
You mentioned the steaks being seasoned for 5 hours, was salt a part of those seasonings?

I generally do not use salt in marinades, since salt will pull moisture out of the meat.
I will make a marinade without salt, and then add the salt right before cooking.

I gave up steak for Lent so I haven't had a good steak in a while. I use my own seasoning blend, which includes smoked paprika, smoked salt, chipotle powder, and some other stuff. Pretty damn tasty.

PonyUP
03-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes I put the salt in right before grilling. For the steak seasoning I used paprika, garlic, black ground pepper and olive oil.

The shrimp had a marinade of sesame, ginger, honey, barbecue sauce, garlic, pepper and salt. Turned out pretty good, but I know the steaks could be better though they were very good

Pony seal of Approval

massacre
03-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Do you buy prime meat? Expensive and can be hard to find, but totally worth it IMHO.

The dry-aged stuff is good too.

Rib-eye is my favorite cut for steaks, followed by a nice sirloin. Filet doesn't have enough flavor, but is definitely tender. Skirt steak is tasty also, but needs to be cooked correctly or else it can be tough.

I do like the crust that comes from cooking steaks in a pan. When I was younger and worked in a place that served $50 steaks, that's how we did it. Hard sear in pan, finish in oven.
But if you have a grill that gets hot enough, that's good too.

That meal looks delicious, I love grilled shrimp also.

justbob
03-31-2012, 10:08 PM
I had to open this thread while my tummy was looking for a midnight snack? Looks gooooood. Now off the couch to grab some crappy cheetos... THANKS.

guspech750
03-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Oh Brad. I actually thought you bought that at a restaurant when you texted me earlier.

Looks awesome bubs.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

GAMike
04-01-2012, 12:55 AM
Man that looks awesome!!!

Keep mine pretty simple Brad..... I get all my spices at the Dekalb Farmers Mkt. where you can get garlic for instance from whole clove, chopped, minced all the way down to a very fine powder thats great for dry mix/rub.... Can get lots of othe spices that way as well....

Like you, I am a Rib Eye guy, so I do a powder mix of Rosemary, garlic and mustard with some granulated onion, fresh chopped Basil, and salt and pepper. Olive oil hits the steak first of course, then the spices so that they stick vs. wash aways if liquid were to come afterwards.

My secret is to hit ea. steak with Dry Vermouth 1 minute before you take it off the fire (if you are grilling beginning to end). The alcohol in the Vermouth cooks off pretty quickly, and gives the steak great flavor:beer:

Damn.......4am and i'm hungry now:P

PonyUP
04-01-2012, 04:08 AM
Man that looks awesome!!!

Keep mine pretty simple Brad..... I get all my spices at the Dekalb Farmers Mkt. where you can get garlic for instance from whole clove, chopped, minced all the way down to a very fine powder thats great for dry mix/rub.... Can get lots of othe spices that way as well....

Like you, I am a Rib Eye guy, so I do a powder mix of Rosemary, garlic and mustard with some granulated onion, fresh chopped Basil, and salt and pepper. Olive oil hits the steak first of course, then the spices so that they stick vs. wash aways if liquid were to come afterwards.

My secret is to hit ea. steak with Dry Vermouth 1 minute before you take it off the fire (if you are grilling beginning to end). The alcohol in the Vermouth cooks off pretty quickly, and gives the steak great flavor:beer:

Damn.......4am and i'm hungry now:P

Good tips Mike, I like the idea of the vermouth and rosemary sounds like a good seasoning to add

Pony seal of Approval

Ms. Denmark
04-01-2012, 05:18 AM
That steak looks nice! For grilling inside, we use a grill pan from Le Cruset which does a very good job if you can't grill outside over charcoal. (Also works great for fish, burgers brats etc.) For beef the secret is to have the meat at room temp before grilling.

For anyone who loves to cook I recommend Cook's Illustrated magazine or online @ www.cooksillustrated.com. Great cooking techniques, equipment and the best recipes. Try it! Bon Appetit

PonyUP
04-01-2012, 05:25 AM
That steak looks nice! For grilling inside, we use a grill pan from Le Cruset which does a very good job if you can't grill outside over charcoal. (Also works great for fish, burgers brats etc.) For beef the secret is to have the meat at room temp before grilling.

For anyone who loves to cook I recommend Cook's Illustrated magazine or online @ www.cooksillustrated.com. Great cooking techniques, equipment and the best recipes. Try it! Bon Appetit

Thanks Paula, I'll check out that site. I love to cook, and my girlfriend and I are making more of an effort to do more cooking instead of always going out.
I also learned a good tip about grilling steak a few years ago in addition to the room temperature tip (which is a great one) which is to let it rest for about 7 minutes before enjoying, it allows the juices to spread from the center out and flavor the whole steak.

Pony seal of Approval

Granddaddy Marq
04-01-2012, 05:53 AM
BradChris Steak House? Who knows that might take off.

tbone
04-01-2012, 06:01 AM
Cooking steaks in a cast iron skillet is awesome. Try it!

I'm one of those that believe that the only thing that belongs on a great steak is salt. If the meat is crap, then break out the A1!

massacre
04-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Oh yeah, you HAVE TO let steaks rest after cooking. Otherwise when you cut it, it bleeds out all of the juices. This goes for any roasted meats also.
During cooking, all of the juices flee to the center of the meat. Resting after the fact allows the juices to redistribute themselves back into the whole piece, resulting in uniformly juicy meats.
And the vermouth trick is a new one on me, I'll try it on Easter Sunday lol!

Cooks Illustrated is a great resource, I have had a subscription for years. Basically they will start out with a food product in mind, say...pork chops.
They will try all kinds of different methods of making the pork chops until they have perfected it, sometimes going through tons of product before getting it dead nuts. This saves the reader tons of time trying to perfect their own recipes.

One recipe I got from them that was invaluable and I still use to this day, is for a pesto dressing for pasta salad. Everyone knows that the pesto turns black eventually when left out, which if you're making a big bowl of pasta salad to bring somewhere or serving it at a party, tastes fine but makes the pasta salad look kind of crappy.
The addition of a tiny bit of mayo and some parsley to the pesto keeps it bright green all day. Looks incredible, and tastes great too, you'd never guess there is mayo in it.

GAMike
04-01-2012, 09:16 AM
For beef the secret is to have the meat at room temp before grilling.

I also learned a good tip about grilling steak a few years ago in addition to the room temperature tip (which is a great one) which is to let it rest for about 7 minutes before enjoying, it allows the juices to spread from the center out and flavor the whole steak.

Pony seal of Approval

Oh yeah, you HAVE TO let steaks rest after cooking. Otherwise when you cut it, it bleeds out all of the juices. This goes for any roasted meats also.
During cooking, all of the juices flee to the center of the meat. Resting after the fact allows the juices to redistribute themselves back into the whole piece, resulting in uniformly juicy meats.

Agreed Chefs!;)

Its one of the differences between grilling (high heat=Sear and lock in juices) and BBQ(low heat=break down fat slowly, to liquify and tenderize the meat).

If you let your steak rest comming off high heat, it will hold its temperature till ya dig in:D

PonyUP
04-01-2012, 09:20 AM
And the vermouth trick is a new one on me, I'll try it on Easter Sunday lol!

Cooks Illustrated is a great resource, I have had a subscription for years. Basically they will start out with a food product in mind, say...pork chops.
They will try all kinds of different methods of making the pork chops until they have perfected it, sometimes going through tons of product before getting it dead nuts. This saves the reader tons of time trying to perfect their own recipes.

One recipe I got from them that was invaluable and I still use to this day, is for a pesto dressing for pasta salad. Everyone knows that the pesto turns black eventually when left out, which if you're making a big bowl of pasta salad to bring somewhere or serving it at a party, tastes fine but makes the pasta salad look kind of crappy.
The addition of a tiny bit of mayo and some parsley to the pesto keeps it bright green all day. Looks incredible, and tastes great too, you'd never guess there is mayo in it.

I'm going to be checking out this site, I love trying new stuff and I'm itching to make my Moms potato salad again, it's a lot of work, but the best potato salad I've had

Pony seal of Approval

Ms. Denmark
04-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm going to be checking out this site, I love trying new stuff and I'm itching to make my Moms potato salad again, it's a lot of work, but the best potato salad I've had

Pony seal of ApprovalI need that recipe, Brad!:)

PonyUP
04-01-2012, 12:27 PM
I'll be digging it up soon, I made a few changes for my own personal preference mainly using dill pickle instead of sweet, but the last time I made it, it went over huge.
I've had some computer problems, but I'll be sifting through it this week and will pm it when I find it

Pony seal of Approval

Mike
04-01-2012, 12:36 PM
In my current apartment complex, I'm not allowed to grill on the patio. I could in the driveway, but the one car attached garage makes it tough to navigate the grill around the Marauder.
I made this tonight via inside grill and oven, it turned out real good. Made a great marinade for the shrimp, seared the steaks on the grill then hit them up in the oven after being seasoned for 5 hours at room temperature. Any other tips for cooking ribeyes domestically?

Pony seal of Approval

Captain & Coke in the glass??????

PonyUP
04-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Captain & Coke in the glass??????

Well duh and I'm stocked for Louisville

Pony seal of Approval

Mr. Man
04-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Well duh and I'm stocked for Louisville

Pony seal of Approval
Oh your poor liver :lol:

PonyUP
04-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Oh your poor liver :lol:

:lol: it definitely gets a workout on that weekend. It's not often where you can cut loose and not have to worry about driving or getting home, do I take advantage

Pony seal of Approval