PDA

View Full Version : Building a Garage

jimlam56
04-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi All:
Looking to build a 20 by 30 detached garage for a project car/main wrenching area.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Mr. Man
04-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Heated floor, 6" pad so you can get a lift, wide doors, separate entrance so you don't have to lose all your heat opening the big doors. Lots of power and plugs for your tools. Put multiple air chucks on all walls. Fridge for some frosty cold ones ;)

myrodr
04-01-2012, 05:48 PM
GO LARGER if you can.

Spectragod
04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
GO LARGER if you can.

Yep, no matter how big it is, it's never big enough. That said, a few other items to consider..........

Upstairs loft tall enough to stand in.
Plenty of air fittings through out the space.
Lots of electrical outlets
Lots of overhead light, lights on walls if you are planning on interior work
Separate space for air compressor(to cut down on noise.
120/240 & 480 electrical service
Prewire for cable, stereo, surround sound etc.
Wire for phone & alarm service
Run gas lines for furnace
Run water lines
Small bathroom
Drains in floor

You didn't say you had a budget. Just dreaming out loud for you.:D

03mmmonroe
04-01-2012, 06:26 PM
US Steel Building with stick built wood front and back walls. Check your building coed. I have a 25x40 building with 8 foot tall garage door and 2 man door one front and one back. I have one sky light panel do during the day you do not have to use the lights.

FordNut
04-01-2012, 06:46 PM
For a DIY project, 84 lumber co has some pretty good plans. I used one for my 28x32 3 bay. A couple of things I wish I'd done differently:
Wider, 28 long is good but 36 wide would have been better to provide more room beside the cars at the outer doors.
Higher, I didn't put the trusses high enough for a lift so I'm still using a jack and laying on my back.
Taller doors (I actually did do this) Standard doors are 7', I went with 8' so my lifted truck would fit in the doors.
Plumbing, at least for a hand washing sink (a toilet would be handy too).

Pat
04-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Have Lots of lighting too. Make sure your electrical system is up to code for the planned usage. No windows for thieves to look inside. adequate locking devices and alarmed. maybe a lockable "tool closet" for those valuable power tools, integral to the building. Swamp fans for cooling, water outlets and sink, portable parts washer.

Are you constrained by the 20X30 ft dimensions? The MM is about 16 ft long so you
can situate the pad so that the the twenty foot side is where the door will be and the 30 foot is the depth of the building. Don't forget to consider door opening space.

Maybe one wide door in the middle so as not to have a pillar interrupting parking space. That would also give you more wall space to put things.

Good luck

Shaijack
04-01-2012, 06:58 PM
I had an industrial type garage door installed (roll up) it saves room and is less dusty. It was cheaper also. Good 2 part floor sealer. Lots of lights. I am trying to get mine finished now.

babbage
04-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Heated floor, 6" pad so you can get a lift, wide doors, separate entrance so you don't have to lose all your heat opening the big doors. Lots of power and plugs for your tools. Put multiple air chucks on all walls. Fridge for some frosty cold ones ;)

This ^^^. Make sure the ceiling is high enough if you do ever get a lift.

Perhaps a set of drains on one side, with a very slight pitch so all the water will move into drain.

cj7chris
04-02-2012, 07:48 AM
http://garagejournal.com/

Start reading. Above advice is on point, but it largely depends on want you want:

--220v for welder, air compressor

--High ceiling for lift

--2nd story with hatch/winch for large machine storage (table saws, etc.)

--Man cave? (surround sound wiring, insulation, HVAC?)

Odinson
04-02-2012, 08:14 AM
I had an industrial type garage door installed (roll up) it saves room and is less dusty. It was cheaper also. Good 2 part floor sealer. Lots of lights. I am trying to get mine finished now.

That's a great idea! I could reclaim a hundred of cubic feet that way! Tall ceilings 14'? cut by 1/3 in 1/2 the space.

:beer:

gdmjoe
04-02-2012, 09:03 AM
In addition to what others have noted ... phone line(s)/service.
water (hot and cold).
floor drain(s).
consider a bathroom. *sink and stool minimum.
ceiling fans.
small office. *room|corner for a desk, filing cabinette, and an extra chair.
service door to outside.

Marauderman
04-02-2012, 09:34 AM

I like your thinking here---great!

US Steel Building with stick built wood front and back walls. Check your building coed. I have a 25x40 building with 8 foot tall garage door and 2 man door one front and one back. I have one sky light panel do during the day you do not have to use the lights.

..and I've been there several times--it is great--

Seem all the ideas are great--go larger, taller , thicker floor dept , ( for a lift of course--thuse the taller, a lot of electrical , with water hot and cold--and then the forever--cooler and yes--plumbing for all that waste----all supper great ideas I think-

Mr. Man
04-02-2012, 10:17 AM
If you live in an area that freezes make sure to take into account drains for the pipes. Buddy of mine is a plumber and he makes a lot of $$$ on fixing frozen pipes.

tallpaul
04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Don't forget a refrigerator for beer, oops I mean sodas.:beer:

jimlam56
04-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Heated flooring probably isn't necessary as I live in Florida.
But some great advice.
The size is based on the fact I already have a 24 by 27 garage, this one is strictly going to be for car projects.
I'm trying to do this for under 20k, but that might not be possible because I really want a loft and high ceilings.
Thanks again, if anyone has more thoughts I'd appreciate it!

frdwrnch
04-03-2012, 04:54 AM
Jim I am preparing to break ground on a 30 X 40. In addition to the great ideas already mentioned I want reiterate the high walls/cieling. A shop has a tendency to gather items (parts, equipment , etc.) on the floor. Have enough space to build heavy shelving for these items off the floor. If you are not already following predefined plans, make sure to draw it out taking in to account things like work surface. If you have a 3 ft. work surface along the back wall then you have less space to pull a vehicle in for instance. I plan on 200 amp service in case I need it. I should start building in about a month. I am in St. Augustine so if you want to check it out pm me. Remember, The amount of stuff you have will expand to meet the available space for it!

jimlam56
04-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Jim I am preparing to break ground on a 30 X 40. In addition to the great ideas already mentioned I want reiterate the high walls/cieling. A shop has a tendency to gather items (parts, equipment , etc.) on the floor. Have enough space to build heavy shelving for these items off the floor. If you are not already following predefined plans, make sure to draw it out taking in to account things like work surface. If you have a 3 ft. work surface along the back wall then you have less space to pull a vehicle in for instance. I plan on 200 amp service in case I need it. I should start building in about a month. I am in St. Augustine so if you want to check it out pm me. Remember, The amount of stuff you have will expand to meet the available space for it!
Will do, Thanks!

Mr. Man
04-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Heated flooring probably isn't necessary as I live in Florida.
But some great advice.
The size is based on the fact I already have a 24 by 27 garage, this one is strictly going to be for car projects.
I'm trying to do this for under 20k, but that might not be possible because I really want a loft and high ceilings.
Thanks again, if anyone has more thoughts I'd appreciate it!
You could always pipe the floor and hook it up later if you need it. Same goes for other projects. Plan for it and if it doesn't fit your budget now at least you won't need to deconstruct to put wires and what not into the walls later.:)

slickster
04-03-2012, 07:20 PM
One day I will have a garage/awesome man cave/poker room