PDA

View Full Version : New York international car show

05crownsport
04-06-2012, 06:56 PM
I am planning on heading north on Monday to attend this car show. Has anyone been either this year or in the past? If so, is it worth the trip? My plan is to head to Jersey and take the PATH into the city. I'm not much on big city life, should I pack heat?

Ms. Denmark
04-07-2012, 02:22 AM
Been there many times when we used to live in Manhattan. After we moved away we still went a few times. I wouldn't travel across country to see it but if it's a reasonable drive then you'll enjoy it. Taking PATH is an excellent idea. Alternately, you could drive to Clinton, NJ and take Transbridge Bus lines right into Port Authority. The Javitz Center is a fairly short walk from there. BTW No heat required.

Blackened300a
04-07-2012, 04:09 AM
I go every year and will be there on Sunday. Definitely worth the trip and you are going at the right time. The vendor section upstairs is open on Monday and it shouldnt be too crowded. It's $15 to enter and you'll spend all day goin through all the displays. Food is a major rip off at the Javits center so you'll wanna explore the area instead of shelling out $4.50 a hot dog and $2.50 a soda. The year when all auto companies were struggling, the show wasn't that great. No concept cars and displays were watered down. Last year they made a big comeback with all the newer cars and I heard this year is even better. Definitely make the trek!
BTW I now work four blocks away from the Javits center and it's a neighborhood of art galleries so no need to worry about safety.

05crownsport
04-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Thank you both for the insight...I can't wait to go. My wife and I went to the Baltimore show and were disappointed. There are never any concepts or anything you couldn't see by going to a dealership. I was just kidding about the heat. The reality is that we have more crime in our area due to our desolation. Is there any good restaurants we should check out for lunch and dinner?

Ms. Denmark
04-07-2012, 05:29 AM
There are lots of places in midtown that you can prolly walk to. If you want to go further up or downtown, 2 of our favorites are Gene's in the Village ( continental menu and excellent service and food) at 73 W. 11th Street 212 675-2048, or Gabriella's at 93rd and Amsterdam serves great Spanish food (as opposed to Mexican) at good prices. Phone 212-916-0574. Just for fun there's a funky little place called the Cupcake Cafe 545 9th Ave. @ 40th St. close to Port Authority. 212- 465-1530.

STEPS
04-07-2012, 06:43 AM
If you aren't licensed in NYC to carry don't carry. They May have metal detectors at the entrance to the show.
I always enjoyed the show a lot of people very crowed.
This year I'll be packing for my move to Fl.
Enjoy
If you like family style Italian I recommend Carmines on 44th street be sure to call for reservations. 212.221.3800

05crownsport
04-07-2012, 06:58 AM
And yet another reason this site is the AWESOMEST EVER! I greatly appreciate all of the help...cupcakes, sounds like I need to try that one. My oldest son has a hankering for a Reuben...any suggestions?

Bigdogjim
04-07-2012, 08:17 AM
There is a pizza shop on the corner of 9th & 41th Streets, it does not look like much but if your pressed for time it's great, and pizza is only $1.00 a slice:up:

Can't beat it!!

Sounds like your going to spend time in the City so enjoy!

jerrym3
04-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Consider driving to Weehawken, NJ, and taking the NY Waterways ferry. (The ferry terminal has a parking lot.)

Ferry lets you off right at the Javits center.

For food, there's a Chart House restaurant right on the water about 1/4 mile from the ferry terminal, NJ side. Restaurant is on the end of a pier jutting into the Hudson, food is decent, but the view of the NY skyline is unbeatable. (You can't see the NY skyline from NY. You need to see it from Jersey.)

If you'd rather have a very decent steak at a good price without a view, go to Arthur's steakhouse and tavern in Hoboken, about 1 mile from the ferry terminal. Easy to get to. (Google Arthur's/NJ/Hoboken)

Or, there's a Houlihan's right on the waterfront in NJ, also about 1/4 mile from the terminal.

For an upper class steakhouse, try Ruth's Chris, also about 1/4 mile from the terminal. You probably will not need reservations on a Monday. $$$

Ruth's Chris and Houlihan's are in the same office complex. I worked at that complex from 1997 to 2007. I'm very familiar with the area.

I also know of a great little Italian place (GP's/Guttenberg, NJ), but you'll have to drive about 15 minutes from the ferry terminal, but it's worth it.

If you want more input, PM me.

Bottom line, see the show, but enjoy NY from NJ.

rossv1
04-07-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm going Monday with my girlfriend. We are taking the NJ Transit train from New Brunswick into the city

05crownsport
04-07-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm going Monday with my girlfriend. We are taking the NJ Transit train from New Brunswick into the city

Jerrym3...that's good information, thank you. I will wear my marauderville IX tee shirt. Look for the fat guy with a pin head! :cool4:

jerrym3
04-07-2012, 03:55 PM
As for packing heat, I'm 69 years old. While I've never worked in NY, I have been there hundreds of times on business. Never had a problem. I know many people that worked in NY for their entire lives. Nobody ever carried a weapon.

I know only three people that carry heat,

My wife's uncle (lives in a trailer park close to thr NJ/Pa borderline)

My best buddy's son-in-law (NY/NJ Port of Authority Cop)

My son-in-law (Federal Air Marshall)

You WILL be safe in the NY/NJ/metro area.

My first suggestion would be to eat at the Chart House in Weehawken, NJ, and enjoy the view. Othewrwise, you haven't really seen NY.

I travelled a lot when I worked. The only other city that even comes close to NY City is San Francisco. (Actually, San Fran is my #1).

Ms. Denmark
04-07-2012, 05:31 PM
I haven't eaten at the Chart House in Weehawken but I enjoyed the one in California, so I would second the idea of having dinner there because the view of Manhattan is spectacular.

mtenderenda
04-07-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm going tomorrow. Taking bus to the Port Authority, then i'll walk over to the Javtis Center. Looking forward to see the 1000HP super snake and the new Doge Viper.