PDA

View Full Version : Crown Victoria smell

Guittard22
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Sorry if the title is funny I was just not sure how to really word this .

Last night was really bad ...but started about 4 weeks or so .

My girlfriend said to be your car smells :mad2:
I said I just cleaned it but yes it smells like funcky socks that are wet on a heater .

few weeks go by and I filled up my window washer fluid and looked at the antifreeze coolant and it was dark all most black. the car just got back on the road from sitting allmost 1 1/2. I changed out the bad Coolant. last night was driving home to ma and the car dash shows the hot/cold it took about 25 min of driving to move to half/way up from C to H.

Looked under the hood and the coolant was black again ??????:censor:

Could this mean I need a new radiatorer ?

Any help please and sorry if i did not word this right

DEFYANT
04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Weird......

Siege
04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Is your car a Police Interceptor model? They have an Oil/Coolant cooler that likes to become an Oil/Coolant mixer.

Guittard22
04-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Is your car a Police Interceptor model? They have an Oil/Coolant cooler that likes to become an Oil/Coolant mixer.

Yes it is a Police Interceptor model 2000 state police car at one time in it's life.

FF1077
04-17-2012, 12:02 PM
If the car sat for a year and half you may need to flush all of the system out.

RF Overlord
04-17-2012, 01:20 PM
...and to do it correctly you need to remove the thermostat. There's a write up on CVN in the BOK.

Blackmobile
04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
I also have a 2000 CVPI.
If you have 100,000 miles on the car you may need a heater core soon. If you smell coolant inside the car, or see the inside of the windshield fogs up after you shut the car down, you probable need a heater core sooneer that later. The compartment that holds the heater core can catch debree like leaves and stuff while passing air through it, which can decompose and create an odor inside the vehicle.

Guittard22
04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
I also have a 2000 CVPI.
If you have 100,000 miles on the car you may need a heater core soon. If you smell coolant inside the car, or see the inside of the windshield fogs up after you shut the car down, you probable need a heater core sooneer that later. The compartment that holds the heater core can catch debree like leaves and stuff while passing air through it, which can decompose and create an odor inside the vehicle.

The car has about 119,000 on it and yes you can smell like dirty Coolant inside the car :( would this be somthing I could do or take it into a shop ?

Blackmobile
04-17-2012, 02:48 PM
CV.net has a write up I used when I changed mine out. It's not as difficult as you would think, just involved.

Guittard22
04-17-2012, 02:54 PM
CV.net has a write up I used when I changed mine out. It's not as difficult as you would think, just involved.

JUST looked at it looks and I must say it looks little crazy but as I get older I am starting to get more hands on with my cars :) I think this may be my next weeks day off project :) where should I get the part from?

was this the page you looked at ?

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2503890&page=1

Blackmobile
04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
You can get a heater core from just about any auto parts store, or the dealer. I used the one I removed from my old MM. The write up you linked to is more current than the one I used. The order of dis-assemble is important.

Guittard22
04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
You can get a heater core from just about any auto parts store, or the dealer. I used the one I removed from my old MM. The write up you linked to is more current than the one I used. The order of dis-assemble is important.

I keep you posted on this and may PM you a lot if a run into somthing I can't do if that's ok with you :beer:

Blackmobile
04-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Sounds good, If I can help just let me know.

Blackmobile
04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
here is the link to the instructions I used.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1588408#Post1588408

RF Overlord
04-17-2012, 03:32 PM
The order of dis-assemble is important.Yeah, just ask Johnny 5. :)

Siege
04-17-2012, 04:15 PM
The heater core may very well be part of the problem but a bad heater core will not make fresh coolant turn black.

Was the car sitting for those 1 1/2 years under trees or other vegetation? If the HVAC air inlet in the cowl is covered with rotting leaves that would also give you a funky smell.

Guittard22
04-17-2012, 04:34 PM
The heater core may very well be part of the problem but a bad heater core will not make fresh coolant turn black.

Was the car sitting for those 1 1/2 years under trees or other vegetation? If the HVAC air inlet in the cowl is covered with rotting leaves that would also give you a funky smell.

Car was parked on grass by my Gramps when the trans went, It sat there for that long in high grass and mud. there was a few tress but not bad No leaves I looked when the car was getting put on a flat bed for it's new trans.

Blackmobile
04-17-2012, 04:58 PM
with the history of the car sitting, I would also recommend a new thermostat and radiator, your PI will thank you for it.

Guittard22
04-17-2012, 05:02 PM
In the works for a new radiator :)