PDA

View Full Version : God is good, even with split radiator.

prchrman
04-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Me and wife went riding in my 94 Bronco yesterday after church to see some state parks over around Wilkesboro, NC. It is about 2 hours from my home in Burnsville. We had rode all day no issues but were starting home on 421 toward Boone after eating in Wilkesboro. Anyone that knows the road knows it is a long uphill pull. The bronco was doing great then the temp hand goes all the way to the right. Pulled off, shut it off and found the radiator on the passenger side was split nearly all the way down. Where we were at you could not even see house lights except a long long ways off. Pushed the bronc back into a gravel area to let cool and also evaluate our situation. Had nearly 2 gallons of water in all but the rad was bad. I got a nail file and roughed up the area of the split. I had some spray can clear and I sprayed it liberally over the area twice and dried (quickly because it was pretty warm) and a third time I took my finger and pushed it into the crack. Sat there about an hour total so it cooled down below to the N in normal. At this time 2 county mounties showed up for a show down but were disappointed it was only 2 old country folk with car troubles. They soon left as I started the bronc and started putting in the water. I left the cap loose and just sat it in the opening and had electrical tape to keep it from blowing off. It got us over 5 miles to a gas station where they had water but no stop leak. They did however have a nice size shaker of pepper, so in it went. Refilled on to the next station and got some Bar's (don't flame it was desperate times) but did not refill until about 20 more miles and it never got hot. Refilled and added the Bar's as there were other holes besides the side split. Went about 2 miles and had to refill, but last time as it brought us all the way home from Linville to Burnsville which is about 30-40 miles I am guessing. Looking at that split radiator when we were stopped there on 421 in the natural I did not think there was anyway we could get all the way home but we got home around 2am with God's help and some shenaniganering. Now I got to get a radiator, water pump and thermo but no haul bill and slept in my own bed, God is good!

IwantmyMMnow!
04-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Wow...that's amazing! If that would've happened to me, I'd be in a bear's stomach by now.

Off the subject...

....when I took my MM to the dealership last week, I asked if they ever see other MMs. The guy said yeah, once in a blue moon; there's someone that lives around here that's got a silver like yours.

Any idea who this could be, or do you think he was talking about you and just said the wrong color? We need to meet up sometime!

prchrman
04-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Wow...that's amazing! If that would've happened to me, I'd be in a bear's stomach by now.

Off the subject...

....when I took my MM to the dealership last week, I asked if they ever see other MMs. The guy said yeah, once in a blue moon; there's someone that lives around here that's got a silver like yours.

Any idea who this could be, or do you think he was talking about you and just said the wrong color? We need to meet up sometime!

It is not me, I have a black one. There is another black one in Burnsville. Me and wife come up to Asheville eat ever week or so. Might meet up for some grub.

CBT
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
I've heard of using flour, actually saw someone do it, didn't know pepper would work. :beer:

Me and wife went riding in my 94 Bronco yesterday after church to see some state parks over around Wilkesboro, NC. It is about 2 hours from my home in Burnsville. We had rode all day no issues but were starting home on 421 toward Boone after eating in Wilkesboro. Anyone that knows the road knows it is a long uphill pull. The bronco was doing great then the temp hand goes all the way to the right. Pulled off, shut it off and found the radiator on the passenger side was split nearly all the way down. Where we were at you could not even see house lights except a long long ways off. Pushed the bronc back into a gravel area to let cool and also evaluate our situation. Had nearly 2 gallons of water in all but the rad was bad. I got a nail file and roughed up the area of the split. I had some spray can clear and I sprayed it liberally over the area twice and dried (quickly because it was pretty warm) and a third time I took my finger and pushed it into the crack. Sat there about an hour total so it cooled down below to the N in normal. At this time 2 county mounties showed up for a show down but were disappointed it was only 2 old country folk with car troubles. They soon left as I started the bronc and started putting in the water. I left the cap loose and just sat it in the opening and had electrical tape to keep it from blowing off. It got us over 5 miles to a gas station where they had water but no stop leak. They did however have a nice size shaker of pepper, so in it went. Refilled on to the next station and got some Bar's (don't flame it was desperate times) but did not refill until about 20 more miles and it never got hot. Refilled and added the Bar's as there were other holes besides the side split. Went about 2 miles and had to refill, but last time as it brought us all the way home from Linville to Burnsville which is about 30-40 miles I am guessing. Looking at that split radiator when we were stopped there on 421 in the natural I did not think there was anyway we could get all the way home but we got home around 2am with God's help and some shenaniganering. Now I got to get a radiator, water pump and thermo but no haul bill and slept in my own bed, God is good!

prchrman
04-30-2012, 10:04 AM
I've heard of using flour, actually saw someone do it, didn't know pepper would work. :beer:

Pepper or cornmeal both work. Pepper is the best but have used cornmeal also. Put pepper in a vehicle and forgot about it, lasted over a year, could not believe it.

CBT
04-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Pepper or cornmeal both work. Pepper is the best but have used cornmeal also. Put pepper in a vehicle and forgot about it, lasted over a year, could not believe it.

I'm picking up a pattern here......you hate radiators and keep breaking them, lol.

Fosters
04-30-2012, 11:31 AM
. .

prchrman
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
:lol: My old jeep at one point was heating up with the AC on on really hot days... I looked at the radiator one day and found the problem:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/282492_10150259655579826_64882 4825_7260545_1868053_n.jpg

Had about 1/3 of the fins left... :o

how you do dat?

IwantmyMMnow!
04-30-2012, 01:40 PM
It is not me, I have a black one. There is another black one in Burnsville. Me and wife come up to Asheville eat ever week or so. Might meet up for some grub.

Sounds great....shoot me a PM next time you plan on coming into town, and I'll see if I can make it.

Fosters
04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
. .

Marauderman
04-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Sounds great....shoot me a PM next time you plan on coming into town, and I'll see if I can make it.

Don't pay any attention on what he says about us other Carolina Marauders...but then again he does have a great personality.......:lol:

CBT
04-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Speaking of God, our church team lost tonight at softball. Great workout, tho! I can play now that a new round of classes started that doesn't conflict with the games. First time I've played in close to 3 years, I'll be feeling it tomorrow at work.

prchrman
04-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Don't pay any attention on what he says about us other Carolina Marauders...but then again he does have a great personality.......:lol:

Back off Tom or I will sic the SC Cheesehead on you :D.

tallpaul
04-30-2012, 08:17 PM
You're right, God is good! Things don't always work out how we want them to, but there is a reason for everything.

IwantmyMMnow!
04-30-2012, 08:19 PM
You're right, God is good! Things don't always work out how we want them to, but there is a reason for everything.

Amen to that!!!

prchrman
05-03-2012, 10:46 AM
got rad in yesterday. ran around at 80 degree ambient temp with air on max and needle got barely on "O". No leaks back in business for about $226 with all new thermo, pump and rad. Also byproduct for some unknown reason the power steering pump not whining like it was?