PDA

View Full Version : IAC Valve Problem Possibly Solved??

Marauderjack
05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
After having replaced what must be a dozen or more (mostly more) of these things I cleaned the last one only to find it lasted about 6 weeks so I ordered another Motorcraft one and installed it a couple weeks ago resetting the PCM by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes!! Very confident (again) that my new part would fix the insanely high idle and goofy shifting, I cranked her up and drove to town with WORSE shifting and TC unlocking than EVER!!!!:mad2::argue:

So.......I disconnected the battery a couple more times to no avail and finally took the new unit off to see if cleaning would possibly help......IT WAS NEW AND AS CLEAN AS A WHISTLE so I re-installed it and only tightened it finger tight (not 250 ft lbs like NORMAL:eek:) and it worked FLAWLESSLY when I test drove it!!!:rolleyes:

I got back home and tightened the bolts like I would spark plugs (5.6235 ft lbs:D) and it has worked perfectly for over a week and 400 miles of mostly town driving....WEIRD!!:confused:

Perhaps I (we) may just be over tightening these critters causing the shaft to bind upon heat-up and time??:cool:

Time may make me a liar but I think I may be onto something that would have saved me a few hundred $$$'s and a lot of :mad2: over the years??:shake:

Stay tuned....updates forthcoming!!:D

03sport007
05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Weird....I hope you fixed it

cougar9150
05-11-2012, 06:30 AM
250 ft/lbs? That seems more than a tad high. I can't think of anything that high on the car.

I'll have to double check my manual when I get home tonight but I believe it specifies in/lbs and wouldn't/shouldn't be over 30. If your torquing them that much you probably were deforming the casing and I would probably expect the bolt to snap before that point..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

fastblackmerc
05-11-2012, 06:45 AM
250 ft/lbs? That seems more than a tad high. I can't think of anything that high on the car.

I'll have to double check my manual when I get home tonight but I believe it specifies in/lbs and wouldn't/shouldn't be over 30. If your torquing them that much you probably were deforming the casing and I would probably expect the bolt to snap before that point..

You are correct.

The manual specifies 10Nm or 89 inch pounds.

Marauderjack
05-12-2012, 06:31 AM

HELLOOOOO.....BOING....BOING.. ...THAT WAS A JOKE!!!:rolleyes:

But I do tend to over-tighten things and I truly believe that was the problem since the IAC valve is very simple and should last a long time??:confused:

I probably hand tightened it with a 1/8" socked wrench to about 10 ft lbs.....still too much!!:cool4:

So far it is working GREAT!!:beer:

justbob
05-12-2012, 08:45 AM

Really? :) Obviously a joke.

Let us know what you find Jack.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

Got_1
05-13-2012, 08:00 AM
IAC has no effect on shifting or TC lock/unlock

Marauderjack
05-13-2012, 09:10 AM
IAC has no effect on shifting or TC lock/unlock

Oh yeah......tell my PCM about it Mr. Smart Guy!!:argue:

I have my "Blower Tune" setup to LOCKUP the TC in 4th only and UNLOCK the TC when off the accelerator and coasting!!:beer: If the coasting idle is 1500 RPM's it WILL NOT UNLOCK until the 3/2 downshift......and it jerks like HELL!!:mad2:

As far as upshifts go...it upshifts about 1000 RPM's higher while the idle is that high.......tell me why if it ain't the IAC feeding too much air and causing the high idle??:confused:

BTW.....cleaning the IAC or installing a new one ALWAYS corrects this anomaly!! :beer: