PDA

View Full Version : Carroll Shelby

Paul T. Casey
05-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Just heard he passed. Have to do a burnout in his memory.

MM2004
05-11-2012, 12:48 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/05/auto-legend-carroll-shelby-father-of-cobra-dies/1#.T61siVJiRJE

Oh man...

:(

Gotta get the MM out for said burnout on Carroll's behalf.

May he rest in peace.

Mike.

PonyUP
05-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Aww man, sad news

This tire spins for you Mr Shelby

Pony seal of Approval

FrankJAG
05-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Man, sad news indeed. What a legacy though, a real American!

RubberCtyRauder
05-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Another article

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2012/1205_carroll_shelby_obituary/

Sad day indeed..His name, products, attributes, accomplishments, contributions to motor sports will live forever.

screamn
05-11-2012, 01:09 PM
RIP.....Mr. Carroll SHELBY!

You are the "Man".

I wish I was able to drive back in the late 60s.

I would have bought a GT350 or GT500KR Mustang without hesitation and still own it today!

N40GL
05-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Oh crap. Always sad to lose a legend who cut across so many areas. Made Ford a performance brand, made a sports sedan out of an Olds Aurora (and used a version of that engine in an Indy car), made performance cars out of K-car-based Chryslers, . . . the list goes on. A towering figure who made automotive performance and modifications a real industry.

At least he got to drive the "Mustang 1000."

Odinson
05-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Messed up. Could you imagine how awesome the chariot that came to pick him up was?

:bigcry: :burnout::burnout::burnout:

guspech750
05-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Bye C.S.

Thanks for what you left behind.

Granddaddy Marq
05-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Sad, sad news! A man who beat the odds, and went on to acomplish so much. I should have made a better effort to meet him.

ctrlraven
05-11-2012, 01:37 PM
LOS ANGELES - May 11, 2012 - Carroll Shelby International, Inc., (OTC: CSBI.PK) announced today that Carroll Hall Shelby, a man whose vision for performance transformed the automobile industry, has died at age 89. Mr. Shelby passed away yesterday at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. The cause of death was not disclosed.

Born on Jan. 11, 1923, Carroll Shelby was one of America's greatest success stories. Championship-winning racecar driver, "flying sergeant" wartime pilot, philanthropist, entrepreneur, car manufacturer and racing team owner, he embodied the ingenuity, tenacity and grit to overcome any obstacle. He is perhaps the only person to have worked at a visible level with all three major American automobile manufacturers.

Carroll Shelby founded Carroll Shelby International, a publicly held corporation involved in many industries. His licensing arm has agreements with industry giants, such as Mattel, Sony, Ford Motor Company and Electronic Arts. His car company, Shelby American, has a thriving parts business as well as a line of muscle cars including the Shelby GT500 Super Snake, Shelby GT350 and Shelby GTS. The Las Vegas-based company also manufactures a limited number of the 1960s Shelby 289 "street," 289 FIA, 427 S/C and Daytona Coupe Cobras.

Shelby considered his greatest achievement to be the establishment of the Carroll Shelby Foundation™. Created in 1992 while Shelby was waiting for a heart transplant, the charity is dedicated to providing medical assistance for those in need, including children, educational opportunities for young people through automotive and other training programs and benefitting the Carroll Shelby Automotive Foundation.

Shelby remained active in the management of each of his companies and the Foundation until his death, even though he endured both heart and kidney transplants in the last two decades of his life.

"We are all deeply saddened, and feel a tremendous sense of loss for Carroll's family, ourselves and the entire automotive industry," said Joe Conway, president of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. and board member. "There has been no one like Carroll Shelby and never will be. However, we promised Carroll we would carry on, and he put the team, the products and the vision in place to do just that."

Shelby is survived by his three children Patrick, Michael and Sharon, his sister Anne Shelby Ellison of Fort Worth and his wife Cleo. Funeral plans are not currently available. Information about the Carroll Shelby Foundation is available at www.carrollshelbyfoundation.or g.

sailsmen
05-11-2012, 01:42 PM
A man that accomplished so much.

What truly saddens me is when I think of people like Mr. Shelby and look at my children knowing the odds are so much greater against them ever being able be an entrepreneur.................. .............................. ................:(

Odinson
05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
A man that accomplished so much.

What truly saddens me is when I think of people like Mr. Shelby and look at my children knowing the odds are so much greater against them ever being able be an entrepreneur.................. .............................. ................:(

Agreed. Automotive red tape is horrible nightmare. A chicken farmer could never do it now. Just listen to anything John Lutz says.

yjmud
05-11-2012, 01:53 PM
need to get the shelby out to let some smoke for carroll
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101181576571548

Ms. Denmark
05-11-2012, 02:38 PM
An American icon. Thank you for making life a whole lot more fun for so many...R.I.P Mr. Shelby.

dmjarosz
05-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Carroll Shelby will be missed by many and surpassed by none! May he rest in peace in Cobra Heaven.

Now im off to leave a massive and lasting pair of rubber stipes in the road as tribute. These stripes will be observed by Carroll fans for years to come and will serve as a rallying point to all those who love the sport of racing. I never liked flowers anyways...

smacdiesel
05-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Rest In Peace Carroll Shelby! You made our world a better, faster and cooler place!

Flynlow
05-11-2012, 04:49 PM
He may be gone but will never be forgotten. His name will continue to be a living legacy for years, decades, even generations after he is gone. Any and all car enthusiasts will remember his name and no doubt pass his legend on down through the generations for many generations to come. Hope you all bow your head for a second out of respect for him and leave a pair of black marks where ever you may be tonigh that will fade way before Carrol Shelby's legacy will EVER fade !

Bluerauder
05-11-2012, 04:57 PM
R.I.P. Carroll Shelby. :(

WhatsUpDOHC
05-11-2012, 05:44 PM
The world is a better place.

We'll miss you, Ol' Shel.

DOOM
05-11-2012, 06:24 PM
R.I.P Carroll Shelby.

sailsmen
05-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Hey, Little Cobra
Don't you know
You're gonna shut'em down

I took my Cobra down to the track
Hitched to the back of my Cadillac
Everyone was there just a waiting for me
There were plenty of Stingrays and XKEs

Spring little Cobra
Getting ready to strike
Spring little Cobra
With all of your might
Spring little Cobra
Getting ready to strike
Spring little Cobra
With all of your might
Hey, little Cobra
Don't you know

When the flag went down
You could hear rubber burn
The Stingray had me going into the turn
I hung a big shift and I got into high
And then I flew by the Stingray
I waved bye-bye

Spring little Cobra
Getting ready to strike
Spring little Cobra
With all of your might
Spring little Cobra
Getting ready to strike
Spring little Cobra
With all of your might
Hey, little Cobra
Don't you know

Around the far turn
In the straight-away
I was blowing off everything
That got in my way
The Stingrays and Jags
Were so far behind
I took my Cobra out of gear
And I coast to the line

Spring little Cobra
Getting ready to strike
Spring little Cobra
With all of your might
Spring little Cobra
Getting ready to strike
Spring little Cobra
With all of your might
Hey, little Cobra
Don't you know
Shut'em down
Shut'em down
Shut'em down
Shut'em down

TAKEDOWN
05-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Wow, that sucks!!!!

Shaijack
05-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Carroll WHO? Kidding. RIP

LOWBUCKMM
05-11-2012, 09:56 PM
He will be missed. I have owned a Carroll Shelby car. Wish I still owned it. But my dad still has his 69 Shelby gt350. I will leave big black marks for Shelby and cry there after.

mike P71
05-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Got to meet Mr Shelby a few years ago at Tasca Ford. What a legend,winning LeMans as a driver,team owner and a car builder. He is truly an icon. RIP

fesifisky
05-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Just heard he passed. Have to do a burnout in his memory.

Done. Glad I'm not the only one who did. Even did mine getting onto the highway this evening.

The man was even making headlines in medical journals regarding his heart transplant. A man of MANY talents/strengths:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/05/11/shelby-cobra-designer-legendary-race-car-driver-carroll-shelby-dies-at-8/

Messed up. Could you imagine how awesome the chariot that came to pick him up was?

:bigcry: :burnout::burnout::burnout:

Amen to that.

boatmangc
05-12-2012, 04:13 AM
RIP MR Shelby

FastMerc
05-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Well dam that sucks,one of the biggest kids with cars,and a most famouse car enthusiast that ever was. I am going to Vegas in Oct and planning on going to Shelby America. I was hoping to meet that Icon. Well R.I.P. Mr Shelby. Sorry I missed you...

Vortex
05-12-2012, 06:37 AM
The guy made it to 89 and had a good run. RIP

fastblackmerc
05-12-2012, 06:48 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Shelby, an Automotive Icon

william s
05-12-2012, 07:41 AM
R.I.P Carroll Shelby.

massacre
05-12-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm so glad that people here are respectful of C.S. and his accomplishments. On other forums, they are bashing him pretty hard it that really upsets me.

His contributions to the sport, and Ford especially, will never be duplicated. Every car he touched became a performance car. I have been a fan of his ever since I was a little kid.

R.I.P.

ncmm
05-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Another article

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2012/1205_carroll_shelby_obituary/

Sad day indeed..His name, products, attributes, accomplishments, contributions to motor sports will live forever.

+1

made some awesome machines. . .RIP
An American Icon indeed. .

sailsmen
05-12-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm so glad that people here are respectful of C.S. and his accomplishments. On other forums, they are bashing him pretty hard it that really upsets me.

His contributions to the sport, and Ford especially, will never be duplicated. Every car he touched became a performance car. I have been a fan of his ever since I was a little kid.

R.I.P.

So easy to critize someones actions. Hard to critize the person who does nothing. Bet all those posters only accomplishment is expelling body waste.

Look I made a TURD!

FrankJAG
05-12-2012, 01:57 PM
They are bashing him pretty hard on CVN, sad really. The demographics over there have really changed; allot of youngsters it seems.

sailsmen
05-12-2012, 02:04 PM
They are bashing him pretty hard on CVN, sad really. The demographics over there have really changed; allot of youngsters it seems.

How many have done anything that anyone would care to know about? I bet they can't even make a proper TURD!

How many would jump at the chance to drive one of Shelby's products?

FastMerc
05-12-2012, 07:17 PM
How many have done anything that anyone would care to know about? I bet they can't even make a proper TURD!

How many would jump at the chance to drive one of Shelby's products?
I would love to drive a Ford GT and the new GT 1000 oh ya!

SergntMac
05-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Don't know where this post will end up. Just did a search on "shelby" and came up here. Hope it rests well.

I have met Carroll Shelby face to face. Quite a gentleman, and a real race car guy. Our conversation was delightful, and bery telling.

I got invited to his ranch in Terlingua, TX. in 2008 and I spent a week there driving my 2007 Shelby GT (LuLu) like it was about to die (excuse me). I beat the pizz out of her, and she still drove me home,from deep in SW TX to Chicago.

I mean so deep in SW TX, that we could golf in Shelby's back yard, and "hole #1" was in Mexico. What more could you ask for...From a genuine Shelby??

I have a book of pics (taken way before the digital age) much to broad to post up here. But, I have them. I have them as warm and delicious memories for the rest of my life. I stood tall with my life-long hero and will have my personal memories forever. This book of pics will be with me at our local "chicken run", and again at MVX. Y'all are welcome to peek.

A truly great man has left us for a world we imagine is much greater than the world we now share. We should all be respectful of his accomplishments and his legacy.

"Its not about me, nor, is it about Ford. Its about race cars of any heritage" were his last words spoken to us all at his 50th annerversary celebration. Mary and I were there to hear those words.

50 years, gents.

50 years of building race cars.

Remarkable.

Absolutely remarkable.

Anyone wishing to disagree with me, can start with me.

I have heard of disrespecful remarks posted elsewhere, but I have not read them myself. Don't care to either. Sad, that a champion's demise stimulates such remarks, but those comments speak more loudly of a man's inexperience in the sport, than that of Carroll Shelby's effort.

I own two Shelby GTs and I am proud of them. But, I am even more proud to be a member of MM.net. Carroll Shelby knew how to rock the world, and he did just that.

Y'all know how to rock as well.

Y'all carry on, and be safe.
Mac.
SergntMac@aol.com

Ken
05-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Don't know where this post will end up. Just did a search on "shelby" and came up here. Hope it rests well.

I have met Carroll Shelby face to face. Quite a gentleman, and a real race car guy. Our conversation was delightful, and bery telling.

I got invited to his ranch in Terlingua, TX. in 2008 and I spent a week there driving my 2007 Shelby GT (LuLu) like it was about to die (excuse me). I beat the pizz out of her, and she still drove me home,from deep in SW TX to Chicago.

I mean so deep in SW TX, that we could golf in Shelby's back yard, and "hole #1" was in Mexico. What more could you ask for...From a genuine Shelby??

I have a book of pics (taken way before the digital age) much to broad to post up here. But, I have them. I have them as warm and delicious memories for the rest of my life. I stood tall with my life-long hero and will have my personal memories forever. This book of pics will be with me at our local "chicken run", and again at MVX. Y'all are welcome to peek.

A truly great man has left us for a world we imagine is much greater than the world we now share. We should all be respectful of his accomplishments and his legacy.

"Its not about me, nor, is it about Ford. Its about race cars of any heritage" were his last words spoken to us all at his 50th annerversary celebration. Mary and I were there to hear those words.

50 years, gents.

50 years of building race cars.

Remarkable.

Absolutely remarkable.

Anyone wishing to disagree with me, can start with me.

I have heard of disrespecful remarks posted elsewhere, but I have not read them myself. Don't care to either. Sad, that a champion's demise stimulates such remarks, but those comments speak more loudly of a man's inexperience in the sport, than that of Carroll Shelby's effort.

I own two Shelby GTs and I am proud of them. But, I am even more proud to be a member of MM.net. Carroll Shelby knew how to rock the world, and he did just that.

Y'all know how to rock as well.

Y'all carry on, and be safe.
Mac.
SergntMac@aol.com
312.401.1396Where's the "like" button? :2thumbs:

FrankJAG
05-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Agreed, we need a like button. Well said SergntMac!!

FastMerc
05-13-2012, 05:39 PM
There is a special on speed tonight at 9pm about Carrol...